Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

6141 - 6160 of 6163 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Like Rambo I’m experiencing trouble free riding at the moment, maybe I’m being lulled into a false sense of security but all the bits are still there when I get back and nothing has broken recently, 50 miles today. I’m trying to use the bike as often as I can even if it’s just on a shorter 30 mile circuit, I get the impression that it sulks if left unattended for a few days.

All is not 100% though, ever since I’ve had the bike (even with the old original carbs) it’s stuttered on pick up from a closed throttle, it’s not bad enough to spoil the ride but it’s bugging me and I want to get to the bottom of it. New Premiers and a few months spent experimenting has improved the situation but I’ve not been able to eliminate it. I thought I had by fitting a one size richer slide but as soon as the engine’s up to temperature the hesitancy re-appears.

So now I’m going to start looking at the electrical side of things just because I’ve done everything I can think of with the carburetion. The only three components within the ignition circuit which haven’t been replaced since I bought the bike are the ignition switch, the kill switch cluster and the Boyer MkIV EI (black box) so I’ll read up on the forum and start testing. I do have my doubts but it’ll cost little so I may as well try.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Wow T120rv, that bike is off the chain gorgeous! Damn I want a chrome tank! Do you have a build thread on that bike, I see so many details. That's what that bike should have looked like from the factory. Hope you don't mind, I saved pics...

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
Great pics, BMF 7 Rusty!

Rambo, I'm not sure why you tapped brackets. Do you have pics of the brackets? I am not happy with the vibrations my mufflers are causing and I have to make brackets as well.

Do you have a build thread on that bike, I see so many details.
Thank slofut but it is mostly camera angles and lighting. The bike has been running so well these last couple of years that I have been kind of "letting it go" in terms of upkeep and it is looking a bit ragged actually. I did ninety-nine percent of the "modifications" when it was brand new 48 years ago when I was a teenager. There were no phone cameras around at that time to document.:( The rest is just a work in progress and mostly mods to keep the bike running (thanks to members here for their advice!). The chrome tank I bought from India brand new and is over ten years old and has served me very well. Cheers from Canada! 🇨🇦

The lever end nipple of my front brake cable popped off last night when I was adjusting the front brake so I soldered it back on this morning. Somehow, when I reinstalled the cable, the front brake light switch which stopped working sometime last year started working again! Sometimes things just fix themselves, I guess.

Ta Da!

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
I am using normal shape triangular brackets as fitted standard. The small strips of metal with two threaded holes i made, fit in the silencer mounting channel so the short 10mm head bolts go through the triangle bracket and into the small flat bar inserted into the channel. I have seen people just fit bolts without the metal strip and generally, it shatters the exhaust channel. I will get a photo on Sunday Morning

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
For all those struggling with old bikes, the famous Allen Millyard has belted his finger with a 2kg copper hammer. It happens as the saying goes. Nice bloke if you get a chance to see him at various gatherings. The injury was nasty as he had just recovered from hitting the same digit some time ago.

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
I am using normal shape triangular brackets as fitted standard. The small strips of metal with two threaded holes i made, fit in the silencer mounting channel so the short 10mm head bolts go through the triangle bracket and into the small flat bar inserted into the channel. I have seen people just fit bolts without the metal strip and generally, it shatters the exhaust channel. I will get a photo on Sunday Morning
I understand now. The mufflers I have on now sit too low for the standard triangular brackets. Not sure why. I am using a piece of flat bar to extend right now to the footpeg mount but will make a larger triangular bracket to reach instead. I will use your idea of the the tapped flat bar insert. Good idea! Thanks!

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
This is how i have fitted the large silencers. The triangular bracket is very thick alloy and been in use over 20 years so far. I just cut the flat bar with a cutting disc to fit the slot in the silencers. some of the silencers i use have the flat bar and i have welded on captive nuts. I am using M6 nuts and bolts. RIMG0531.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
Back wheel was not behaving on bends and felt like a tyre tracking on white lines. I am thinking it might be one shock absorber not working so ordered a pair of Hagons to replace the 22 year old Hagons i had fitted. Should arrive Wednesday. They are 12.9 inch for the 1971 frame due to the higher seat rail.

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
A ride around the East Devon villages this Morning. Found this farm in a village i had never heard of. A bit further along, there were some runner beans left outside a house for anyone going past to take home for free so that was something for dinner. New exhaust is very quiet compared to the tulip pipes. Nice sound though.
RIMG0539.JPG
RIMG0538.JPG

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
I bought those mufflers about 15 years ago and used them for a couple of years before putting them back on the shelf. Then i used the short megaphones followed by some quiet short megaphones made by Campbells then some old long Thruxton type followed by the Tulip ones. It was their turn to go back on. I still have the correct ones but they are too quiet and been shelved a long time now. These dunstall replicas fit very well on the Honda Cb750 DOHC bikes of the 80s with 4 pipes . They also sound a lot better than when on a Triumph. The Honda bike has not had the ends drilled out though.It already had enough sound.

·
Registered
78 Posts
A ride around the East Devon villages this Morning. Found this farm in a village i had never heard of. A bit further along, there were some runner beans left outside a house for anyone going past to take home for free so that was something for dinner. New exhaust is very quiet compared to the tulip pipes. Nice sound though. View attachment 732132 View attachment 732133
Second nicest purple bike in the world

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Took the 79T140D to get the damn NY annual safety inspection..It's done at independent garages, not all do bike inspections.A waste of time for the shop and rider in my opinion.They only can charge $6 .The mechanic was interested in the bike and is in the market for something vintage...Yes, the bike passed easily..

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
New Hagon shocks arrived but were the wrong type. Half inch too short. They need to be 13 inch for the 1971 frame. Even though i spoke to Hagon and asked for this type, they sent the wrong ones. Another set coming in the post. Existing ones are 22 years old and have worked well with no leaking or bush wear. Changing as there is a little wobble on corners lately.

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
Fitted the shocks which have had a little design improvement since my last set 22 years ago. The chrome spring is now very close to the chainguard. Not ridden it yet so maybe Friday after i repair the Grandchilds scooter exhaust.
RIMG0544.JPG

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
Changed the oil after a nice morning ride. Thought I would soften the exhaust sound a bit too soo I packed the mufflers. When I opened up the right muffler and removed the baffle I found about 7 or 8 small balls of compressed carbon! There was zero packing left in the muffler and I had purchased these mufflers not too long ago. Went for a test ride and prefer the quieter sound. The neighbours will like them too!
Spot the sparrow that flew in the garage and watched me pack the mufflers. I think he thought the carbon balls were bird eggs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Big weekend of work on my T140! New gaskets, seals, o-rings and covers for my forks to stop the oil from spraying out. The old oil was nasty and less than 50 cc per side came out. I even made a tool to hold the damper rod from tuning. Worked well! I also changed the motor oil. This time I cleaned up the bottom of the bike real well so i could remove the sump drain. First time to do this for me. I had ordered a new copper gasket for the job and was surprised to find an O ring on the plug instead of the proper gasket which may have contributed to the need for cardboard under the bike while parked.... I also pulled off the bottom sump plate and strainer. Some old sludge but not bad. Had to reset one stud that was siliconed to the nut and came out. Replaced that technology with a paper filter set-up, new gasket and sealing washers. Buttoned up tight, refilled the crankcase and oil tank and noted a nice clean oil return spray to the frame tank on start up. The resealed forks are super comfortable now! I did find that I will need to replace the handle bar bushings sometime soon.....

HARFEND

·
Registered
491 Posts
Couple of 50 mile rides out in the last 2 days - very hot (~30C) here in the UK at the moment - well, down in England and Wales at least, but also very, very humid. Unusual conditions here.

Made the mistake yesterday of not going out until about 2pm, on the TR7RV. Even with summer weight gloves on my hands were hot, and with the sun on my back I could feel the sweat running down my back under my blue Barbour jacket. A technically satisfactory ride, even the gearbox more or less behaved itself, but an uncomfortable ride. Ignition gremlins seemingly put back in their boxes, for now at least. Hot and sweaty. I don't know how TR7RVman OTP can stand the Californian heat on his rides up into the canyons.

Learned my lesson and was out at 9am for a 50 miler on my 73 T100R. I normally have other priorities in the mornings (like practice for my next saxophone exams) but needs must, and if I didn't get out early I wasn't getting out at all today.

A very pleasant ride through the country lanes, some A roads and a short blast up to 65 mph (sorry, occifer - yes, I know the limit's 60...). No dramas, all running nicely, but I'm still listening for a big end knock, which could be only in my imagination. Arrived home cool-ish, but well pleased. Bike never missed a beat.

What I did see though, and in all the years I've lived in this area, south of the tourist and old Roman city of Chester, is many, many people in the various farm campsites. Normally, you'd only see 2 or 3 tents, maybe, in each one in school holiday time. Now, they are rammed; tents, campervans, yurts, the lot. Signs of the times..........

Having a coffee now - then on to sax practice before it gets too hot and I have to retreat for the afternoon. IIRC, school holiday summers used to be warm and sunny, and we'd be out on our bicycles all day. These days, it's too hot to be out after 12pm!

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be. :confused:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Changed the oil after a nice morning ride. Thought I would soften the exhaust sound a bit too soo I packed the mufflers. When I opened up the right muffler and removed the baffle I found about 7 or 8 small balls of compressed carbon! There was zero packing left in the muffler and I had purchased these mufflers not too long ago. Went for a test ride and prefer the quieter sound. The neighbours will like them too!
Spot the sparrow that flew in the garage and watched me pack the mufflers. I think he thought the carbon balls were bird eggs. View attachment 732495 View attachment 732494 View attachment 732493
View attachment 732499
TRV, That's one of my favorite triumphs. What kind of seat is that, it's similar to what I have on my 68? I like the way you clipped the rear fender brace and added the fender struts. I have never seen carbon balls in an exhaust, am I missing something all these years? Have you rode it this long without air filters?

6141 - 6160 of 6163 Posts