Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

6101 - 6120 of 6163 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Had my T160 off the road over winter, where I replaced the steering head bearings and fork seals. I also got a new rim laced to the front wheel. Changed the LP Williams front brake light switch to the hydraulic switch off the T140, got my seat done by Leightons and then the lockdown happened,
As lockdown eased, I removed the exhaust down pipes and collector to change the oil, and the collector was shot. I ordered a stainless steel set and it arrived on Friday. I went out and fitted that yesterday and wheeled it out the shed to fire up....1st kick.......yeehaa

My mate then showed up on his 1970 Tiger so a good day

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Today I found the lost bottom cup with a seal for one of my Trident push rod tubes. Being really happy about it i swiped most of the garage and installed it. I still contemplate smaller sleeves for my inlet ports, so a head is going to be off for some time.
These are 2 great looking bikes, mine never were looking so clean. :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Those bikes look great without mirrors, Jimmy

Do you cop grief off the police because of it ?

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Ross
There is no legal requirement over here for mirrors on motorcycles

I usually have a mirror on my throttle side, but I removed it when doing the front end work. I meant to say I fitted new semi western bars as well. My mirror is now back on.

My mates Tiger is mirror free

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ross
There is no legal requirement over here for mirrors on motorcycles

I usually have a mirror on my throttle side, but I removed it when doing the front end work. I meant to say I fitted new semi western bars as well. My mirror is now back on.

My mates Tiger is mirror free
I have bar ends on mine

They are fine if you're not really interested in what's behind you

That's my crazy wife in the pic , she's crazy

But a great kind of crazy

Sent from my SM-J250G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
491 Posts
Dug a long-forgotten handlebar screen out of the attic, cleaned it up and fitted it to the 73 TR7RV, just to see what it would be like. I find the buffeting at around 55-60 a bit wearing, so if the screen helps, that would be good.

Went out for a local ride, 35 miles. Much less buffeting, but it wants to lift the visor on my open-face and, inevitably, I hear much more of the engine. Not sure if that's good or bad. The jury's out.

20200722_103033.jpg

It's not happy when it's warmed up at low revs, but fine at more than 1/4 throttle - I'm fairly sure it's pilot jet related, but the carb is a 630 and should be a 930. I fitted new jets, and float and all new O rings and gaskets last year when I got the bike running and it was fine last year. However, it's not fine now, so taking Don's advice and not persisting with a worn carb, I've ordered the correct Amal for a 73 TR7RV. Stop messing about with an unknown, but wrong, carb. Eliminate that and see where that takes me.

Parked up on my nice, clean (more or less - despite having 2 old Triumphs) block paviour drive. Had a fiddle with the air screw but not really much different, still lumpy running. Went for a cup of tea.

Came out an hour later to find a stream of black oil down my driveway. ????? I have a Charlie's in-sump oil filter - but the little nut on the central threaded rod that holds the filter onto the sump plate had gone AWOL, so oil was dripping out of the annulus between the hole in the sump plate and the rod. Found a new Nyloc nut and fitted that, so stopped the leak, but it's a mess under there.

Done 175 miles now since the rebuild so time for an oil change anyway, so I'll drop the oil out and the sump plate and have a look at the filter - it may be unseated anyway so I need to have a look, and may as well change the sump and return line filters at the same time. So, the nut loss may be a blessing in disguise.

Then discovered that I can buy the Morris Golden Film 20W/50 online, delivered, for significantly less than my local motor factor. Can't be bad.

I could do without a driveway cleanup though. The Daytona's looking neglected so it'll be coming out to play again.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Then discovered that I can buy the Morris Golden Film 20W/50 online, delivered, for significantly less than my local motor factor. Can't be bad.
£20 delivered was the price I paid on e-bay last August Andy, 5L. You've made a great job of that bike and with any extensive restoration there's going to be teething troubles, you can't expect everything to work perfectly first time after such major surgery but you've given it the best chance you can.

For info the Contis are bedding in nicely on my bike, it feels much safer than it ever has and there might even be potential for a gentle footrest/tarmac interface. Takes me back to the mid '70s when the publications of the day tried to prop up Brit bikes on the basis of handling, they had a point.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Thx Chris, appreciated! The oil is £24 delivered, about £5 less than Motorworld.

Didn't really want to buy a new carb, but I think that's the best way of eliminating a possible source of the lumpy running at low speed. I put a spark test lamp on either side and i seemed to be firing OK. It's fine above 1/4 throttle, but I can't solve the bottom end issue. I reckon there's too much wear in the body and slide. It's OK cold, and the issue only shows once it heats up. If it were ignition, I'd expect some misfiring further up the rev range too - but once it picks its skirts up, it goes. Had it up to 70 mph briefly this pm, and there was no sign of it running out of puff. Burlen don't do a Premier carb for the 73 TR7TV, only the later ones, so had to go for a standard. It'll last me out, particularly as the carb is now drawing through the air filters.

It could be a duff coil, but since the carb is all wrong anyway I'll start with that.

I did change one of the 4 front m/g rivets for a 5mm stainless dome headed bolt and nyloc, and that's shut the rattle up. I've still to do the other 3 rivets.

I like the Contis too - the Daytona corners on rails!

·
Registered
491 Posts
EDIT to my post 6108, above. Re: oil leak from sump plate.

I may have dodged a bullet here, and I suspect I'm at fault, so hands up. I fitted a Charlie's type sump plate and filter, from LP Williams - not their fault at all. It all seemed well screwed together and fitted it as one piece. On reflection, I think it was not fully screwed together; I should have checked.

For those that don't know, there's an ali plate that blanks off the bottom of the spine tube, with a pipe outlet to the feed side of the pump, so oil is drawn from inside the filter, into the pump, then on to the crankshaft gallery. There's a 3/16 hole through the plate which takes a rod, which goes through the inside of the filter to a threaded circular top plate and a nut. Outside the sump plate there's (was..) a domed nut, and inside there's a copper washer and a plain nut. I suspect the idea is that the rod can be firmly clamped by the nuts either side of the sump plate, with the copper washer doing the sealing. I think that these may have been a bit loose. I had tightened up the outside domed nut, but I think all that did was spin the threaded rod, it didn't actually tighten anything.

There was a bit of muck on the sump plate outside the filter when I stripped it out, but the cavity inside the filter was spotless - the filter's doing its job.

I have now fitted the threaded rod, with its copper washer inside and a new fibre washer outside, with a new thin Nyloc nut outside, backed against the plain nut on the inside so that the threaded rod is firmly clamped to the sump plate. I then fitted a new filter, screwed the threaded top plate down onto the filter and added the locknut on top. This arrangement is going nowhere.

So, a word to the wise, if you fit one of these in-sump filters, make sure you know how the fasteners work and what's tightening what when you spin the nut outside the sump plate. I could have lost all my oil, miles from home, and wrecked a newly and expensively-rebuilt engine.

We live and learn. Hopefully.

20200724_103821.jpg
20200724_103847.jpg

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
Bit of garage time to oil the cables and clean and grease the twistgrip. Get the dirt out of the handlebar levers. Replace the batteries on the bike clocks on both old bikes. Quick check of all fixings now wait until after the weekend for a ride. Too many cars with holidaymakers here right now and with local cars out for the weekend, traffic is far too slow to enjoy a bike ride.

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
Nice wheel parking clamp on the wall too. About bicycle size tyre.

·
7,220 Posts
Hi Mick,
Bike lifts are heaven in a box
Yours is the first I've seen that I might want to own - wider than others, bike held without straps. (y) Care to share make and model?

Also, I couldn't see any cylinder in your pics.; raised/lowered with a trolley jack?

Regards,

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi Mick,

Yours is the first I've seen that I might want to own - wider than others, bike held without straps. (y) Care to share make and model?

Also, I couldn't see any cylinder in your pics.; raised/lowered with a trolley jack?

Regards,
Sure mate , I'll have a look tomorrow morning and let you know

Its plugs into to my air compressor and you control it with a foot pedal

The two sides are removable but I'm gunna keep them on , a great place to put your beer and tools

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

6101 - 6120 of 6163 Posts