Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 40 of 9815 Posts

· Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #403 ·
Replaced both the original fork seals (leaking) and painted the headlight "ears" (black) that attach it to the forks. Put up a few miles yesterday, it's been sunny and dry for a change and every time I go out on the Triumph it makes me smile
Hoping to help a friend do some work on his T140D Special (US spec) today if his parts arrive.... these are drop dead gorgeous looking 'bikes, never seen one in the flesh before...

· Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #410 ·
So on the Isles and in La Belle France you're paying for a pint of Guinness what we pay for a four pack pint of draft in the states?
Ahh Guinness, my favourite subject! ;) In Ireland (where the best stuff is made) we pay about £2.70 - £3.00 for a proper draught pint (568mls)in a glass (in the pub/club/hotel) and around £4.80 for a 4 pack of 500ml draught cans in the supermarket/off licience.

Above prices in £stg for N Ireland. In the Republic it's around 5 euros for a pint in a pub.....expensive for sure.

Hope you're sufficiently confused..:D

· Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #472 ·
Since fitting the norton type "peashooter" mufflers to my TR7 instead of the original "cigar" type I've been enjoying the better sound but aware that the free flowing pipes may make the engine run leaner....
Checking the plugs (Champion N3C's) it's pretty obvious that this is indeed the case...very light grey in colour.
Decided to try lifting the needle one notch from the middle groove to the bottom one (single carb) and it seems to have worked. Plugs now a nice chocolate colour and bike still runs strong as before. I'll continue to check to see how it works out. Better running slightly rich than lean?

· Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #478 ·
Me and my Norton riding buddy went over the sea to Scotland last weekend on a day trip from Belfast. For once the weather was just right after a miserable May and June.
We visited a whiskey distillery, and the most southerly point of Scotland (Mull of Galloway with a lighthouse). The old bikes went well, never missed a beat in over 200 miles. A perfect day.

· Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #482 ·
Yeah, I echo those sentiments. Those roads in Scotland look like going back in time. No cars either. Makes me want to go there. Maybe we should plan a Vintage Rat trip to the IoM someday. We can all rent Gold Stars and Manxs, borrow puddin basins from our UK members and have a go at some of those old paths.

They do rent Gold Stars and Manxs over there, right?

regards,
Rob
Rob, you're correct it is just like going back in time, quiet country roads, little traffic, tidy villages. Beautiful part of the world. Incidentally the land in the far distance out to sea in the third pic is in fact the Isle of Man!
If someone wants to arrange a get together let me know ..I'm in

· Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #491 ·
Changed the gearbox oil, always feels good pouring new oil into any part of an engine doesn't it? :)

Heading to Co Donegal for an overnighter tomorrow with my Norton buddy, round trip of about 250 miles, hoping it stays dry, forecast is for occasional showers...

· Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #582 ·
Bimble around the Glens of Antrim

Took a spin out around the Glens this afternoon and snapped a few pics. Noticed how many abandoned dwellings there are, falling down..I often wonder who lived in these old cottages and where they and their families went...some of these could go back to the famine days possibly..
Lovely day out.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t6/rathlindri/Glens
270811010.jpg

As usual, the old Tiger just rumbled along without a hiccup

· Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #805 ·
hmmmm, advised last week that I'd be redundant by April......knew it was coming, almost a relief in a strange way. At 58 my useful working life is probably over. Spring/summer is coming. Let's see where the road takes me now??
Looked at the Tiger in the garage today and thought should I sell........

· Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #813 ·
Keepin' the 'bike....

Ohio, Retro, David in KY, DaveDone, Loctite and Triumpt120rv, what can I say....thanks sincerely all.
Made up my mind. My old "tigger" isn't going anywhere any time soon unless I'm sitting on it.
I suppose this is just a new trip, a few new roads to travel?

Thanks again guys.

21 - 40 of 9815 Posts