Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

5901 - 5920 of 6081 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
I know it isn't a triumph, so i hope that is okay with you all, but yesterday I took my 1967 Norton Atlas out for a nice 50 mile ride. Just as much fun to ride as my vintage triumphs but you see a lot less of them. I went with my buddy who was riding a beautiful Ducati 750 Sport.

Rob

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
50 mile ride in the sun to a village called Kenn. This area is full of 400 year old houses and buildings like most of the Devon villages. The church is the Andrew Kenn church. often, the landowner would build these for his workers.
One picture shows the front brake plate painted silver like they were when new. i got fed up polishing the aluminium that used to be mirror finish.
Nice ride and the oil got a little hotter today. Still not very hot cases though. Still could put your hands on the sides.

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Adam, honestly there isn't much of a comparison between the two bikes. They both have the similar 750cc engines and are probably about equal in power. The Ducati probably gets the nod in handling, but is extremely uncomfortable to ride (for me), whereas the Norton can be ridden all day with no ill effects. The Ducati is absolutely beautiful to look at and looks amazing going down the road. The Norton, with its featherbed frame and roadholder forks, is no slouch in the handling department though.

I have a similar Ducati in my collection, but it is the GT version. That bike is just as comfortable as the Norton as it has a more upright standard seating position and I have been known to ride it all day long. Both bikes sound amazing at both idle and at speed. Nothing else sounds like the vintage Ducati's or vintage British Bikes. Harley's wish they sounded that good.

Hope that helps, feel free to ask any questions you might have.
Rob

·
Registered
476 Posts
86 miles today taking the bike comfortably over the 10,000 mile threshold which I assume is the mileage covered since it was put together in the US. 4000 of those have been with my backside in the saddle since December 2018.

I joined together a couple of my usual circuits with the lunch stop being at my favourite burger van. Sadly it was closed and I had to re-negotiate my way back out of town in heavy stop/start traffic. On a hot day like today the bike hates this, it keeps going but idle becomes less stable and I can sense that it just wants to embarrass me at the traffic lights. Once back onto open roads when it can cool down it’s a lot happier and the riding experience much better.
IMG_0497.JPG

·
Registered
423 Posts
Blimey Chris, you must be much younger and fitter than me! 40 or 50 miles is my limit on the Daytona! Did get out today for a simple 27 miles, but it was hot (for the UK) and I found keeping it on the boil around our twisty lanes to be hard work. Loads of up and down the gears and blipping of throttle to keep it on the cam. Can be loads of fun, but on a hot brilliantly sunny day a slower, chuggy 750 would have been a more relaxing ride. It will be, once I get the TOMCC registrar's certification of age, and then a new age-related reg no on the Tiger 750..................

How hot does yours run? There's no way I can put my hand on the cases when I get back.

·
Registered
476 Posts
How hot does yours run? There's no way I can put my hand on the cases when I get back.
Same here Andy, the oil tank is slightly cooler but I wouldn’t want to hold onto it for very long. Yes it can be a tiring bike to ride but I’ve always hankered after a dry frame Triumph and in particular the overlooked 500. OIF 650’s and 750’s are much better bikes in most respects but in my opinion the shift in oil location compromised the styling, I’ll accommodate the Daytona’s foibles in exchange for that.

I’m 60 and have been working for the same employer across the globe for the past 42 years, I retire on the 31st July so will have plenty of time to ride around wondering if I should have bought the 750 I looked at a few months ago.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hi Chris, I suggest you are missing the point. The 500 and the 750 are not mutually exclusive, you need both to be able to compare the characteristics of both! Quite how I managed a 95 mile round trip commute Reading/Victoria St for a couple of years I'll never know. Must have been a bit younger in those days......

And I agree, those airboxes on the early OIFs are horrible. But the handling is good and the torque to die for with its 5 spd box.

·
Registered
11,508 Posts
50 mile ride in the sun to a village called Kenn. This area is full of 400 year old houses and buildings like most of the Devon villages. The church is the Andrew Kenn church. often, the landowner would build these for his workers.
One picture shows the front brake plate painted silver like they were when new. i got fed up polishing the aluminium that used to be mirror finish.
Nice ride and the oil got a little hotter today. Still not very hot cases though. Still could put your hands on the sides.
Great pics there rambo! Churches are dissolving by the day. Great to to see a t120 oif in front! You had a great idea with that grey paint. Smart move. I chromed mine nearly 40 years ago and am happy I did. I have never been one to spend time polishing a bike. That grey looks great though. Great alternative! Well done.

·
Registered
38 Posts
So envious of your historical sites

Did a bit of riding over your way last year

Australia has nothing to compare

Although we do have other advantages that you guys don't

But you can't just pull in off the side of the road to check out a thousand year old castle

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Great pics there rambo! Churches are dissolving by the day. Great to to see a t120 oif in front! You had a great idea with that grey paint. Smart move. I chromed mine nearly 40 years ago and am happy I did. I have never been one to spend time polishing a bike. That grey looks great though. Great alternative! Well done.
We have Powderham castle nearby which still has direct descendants of the original owner living there. They also have a chapel where guests had to sleep for fear of murder at night. On one side of the River Exe were the Courtney clan,the other side was the Clinton mob. They were the 2 big land owners eager to beat up each other. Both families still exist in the same locations and both still large landowners.
Lucky i can live in a medieval area also the Jurassic coast full of nature reserves, historic sites. I take it for granted now as i was born here. Moved 400 yards from my birth place.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
So envious of your historical sites

Did a bit of riding over your way last year

Australia has nothing to compare

Although we do have other advantages that you guys don't

But you can't just pull in off the side of the road to check out a thousand year old castle

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
We also have Roman Exeter 10 miles away and parts of it still remain. This area is magnificent for riding around out in the single track roads to the 500 year old villages right on my doorstep. Roads have a lot of gravel, and grass growing up the centre line. You have to be looking at the ground in front at all times. I am right at the end of the Exe estuary and the start of the Jurassic coast. My town was started over 1000 years ago as a fishing village,Exmouth. Romans moved in 10 miles up the river about 2000 years ago and called it Isca Dumnonium. That city is now Exeter. Flattened in the blitz at the top end.
History is intriguing and Nelsons wife is buried just 3 miles from Exmouth. Sir Walter Raleigh was born just 5 miles away form Exmouth. Queen Elizabeth 11 visited her first English pub 6 miles away in Topsham. The Mayflower sailed from Plymouth just 50 miles away. Sir Francis Drake sailed from Plymouth for the Spanish Armada. I am lucky to have been born here.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Mach, thanks for your post comparing both bikes and Rambo for an English history lesson.
No riding for me yet, but weather suddenly changed, temperature whittin a week jumped from 12 C (Victoria Day ) to 30 C 2 days ago, so I started to assemble a Trident back. Today I will have first opportunity to try it on the road. Have to make some longer trip before insurance expires 6th of June to check my winter attempts to tame oil leaks. This season will be using my BMW exclusively to ride with my wife during those rare occasions we can go somewhere.

·
Registered
476 Posts
A short hop today to test something mentioned last summer when one of the monthly publications took the bike out for a ride, it was suggested that the speedometer was under-reading. I put this down to the nature of the bike, it’s frantic, loud and always feels like it’s going faster than it really is.

To put the theory to the test I downloaded a speedometer App for the phone and went for a ride being very conscious to keep below 50-55mph according to the wobbly needle. The App recorded my maximum speed for the trip as 59mph! I then chose a suitable stretch of road for a more scientific test. I got the needle between 60-65mph for a decent duration never getting near 70mph and yet my top speed was recorded as 69mph.

I’ll be taking that into account when I go out in future, I’ve always relied on the speedo being reasonably accurate or at least over-reading.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
A short hop today to test something mentioned last summer when one of the monthly publications took the bike out for a ride, it was suggested that the speedometer was under-reading. I put this down to the nature of the bike, it’s frantic, loud and always feels like it’s going faster than it really is.

To put the theory to the test I downloaded a speedometer App for the phone and went for a ride being very conscious to keep below 50-55mph according to the wobbly needle. The App recorded my maximum speed for the trip as 59mph! I then chose a suitable stretch of road for a more scientific test. I got the needle between 60-65mph for a decent duration never getting near 70mph and yet my top speed was recorded as 69mph.

I’ll be taking that into account when I go out in future, I’ve always relied on the speedo being reasonably accurate or at least over-reading.
Not tested my speedo but i think it reads a little fast. Ride along beside a governed hgv and it shows 60 mph. Might be due to the lower profile tyre fitted compared to what it was built with.

·
7,088 Posts
Hi Geoff,

Not tested my speedo but i think it reads a little fast. Ride along beside a governed hgv and it shows 60 mph.
Maximum British HGV speed limit is 60 mph specifically on a motorway, the HGV operator can choose any below that (some I've driven were governed to only 85 kph :eek:), also 2% error is permissible. Here, because many HGV won't ever get near Europe, ime more operators seem to choose the British limit ...

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Hi Geoff,

Maximum British HGV speed limit is 60 mph specifically on a motorway, the HGV operator can choose any below that (some I've driven were governed to only 85 kph :eek:), also 2% error is permissible. Here, because many HGV won't ever get near Europe, ime more operators seem to choose the British limit ...

Hth.

Regards,
Hi Stuart, i was thinking HGV was 56 mph so my speedo may be nearly right.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Today was another ride along the Jurassic coast. Sidmouth, Branscombe and Beer, a little village where i often go fishing. 65 mile ride.Branscombe was famous a few years back when a container ship beached and lost containers of new BMW motorcycles and many new BMW parts. Locals grabbed most of it and sold it on ebay until the police sealed off the roads. A few pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,257 Posts

Hth.

Hi Stuart, i was thinking HGV was 56 mph so my speedo may be nearly right.
Both of these are correct, 60 mph is the HGV speed limit, so it seems sensible to set speed limiters to 60 mph. But to comply with European harmonisation, speed limiters are set to 90 kmh - (55.92 mph).- There seems to be a distinct lack of joined up thinking.

Interestingly, the plan is that all vehicles sold in Europe (including the brexited UK) post 2022 will be required to have an ISA device fitted (Intelligent Speed Assistance). This will limit the power of your engine if the vehicle exceeds the speed limit, using GPS technology the system will adjust to the limit that you are travelling through- oh Joy!

Regards
Peg

Rambo, I was told that if I rode past Exeter, I would fall off the edge of the world 😊.

5901 - 5920 of 6081 Posts