Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

5881 - 5900 of 5938 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
....we live on the Welsh border and I genuinely forgot that the Welsh Assembly has not relaxed its lockdown and I did stray a couple of miles into Wales on the way home. Sorry, Officer. Won't happen again. Honest....
South, mid / Marches or north?

Have you done the VMCCs Herefordshire on The Edge run? A fine day out on a self (mis) guided tour around a beautiful county, and a fund raiser for a hospice in Hereford. Now cancelled for this year, but keep an eye out for 2021, it will be around mid June.

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
Went on a 2 up ride of 45 miles to see the black swans at nearby dawlish. Famous for its black swans and ice cream. There were 6 babies this year. Went with Mrs and boy plus his moll. Nice ride which ended up in a little 95 mph race along a straight at Exminster. I used to own the 750 Honda he now has. An American import cb750 custom from 1981.

Attachments

·
Registered
321 Posts
South, mid / Marches or north?

Have you done the VMCCs Herefordshire on The Edge run? A fine day out on a self (mis) guided tour around a beautiful county, and a fund raiser for a hospice in Hereford. Now cancelled for this year, but keep an eye out for 2021, it will be around mid June.
Hi Dave, N Shrops/S Cheshire - Hereford's a bit far for me! 50 or 60 miles at a time on my 2 Triumphs is about far enough - I'm not as flexible as I was!

·
Registered
11,475 Posts
Went on a 2 up ride of 45 miles to see the black swans at nearby dawlish. Famous for its black swans and ice cream. There were 6 babies this year. Went with Mrs and boy plus his moll. Nice ride which ended up in a little 95 mph race along a straight at Exminster. I used to own the 750 Honda he now has. An American import cb750 custom from 1981.
The Black Swans are worth the ride! We do not get them here just the Trumpeter resting along one of my favourite rides along the lake. The road has been closed to motor vehicles to allow people to walk, cycle, rollerskate, skateboard and jog etc. this weekend while continuing to social-distance. Well worth the closure as many turned out.
It was 22* C. on Saturday and I actually saw many smiles through masks when I rode by on the 72! The sight and sound of the bike must appear as a symbol of normalcy to them. It sure does the trick for me! Hooray for summer!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Another great ride out today, 45 miles clocked as confidence in the bike gradually comes back. I’m having to re-learn characteristics which came to light last summer but which I’d forgotten about during the winter lay-up. For example, it’s always been a good starter, usually first kick but on a hot day like today it’ll cough and splutter below 2000rpm unless I flood the carbs first. Not cool if you’re trying to leave a petrol station in front of a bunch of onlookers (nice Bonneville mister). Even if I’ve only stopped for five minutes if the engine is hot it needs a tickle. Also need to re-learn that the rear chain doesn’t need that much oil to stay lubed.

IMG_0492.JPG IMG_0494.JPG

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Just went through my Trident carbs to be sure everything is OK. Now have to install them together with my exhaust and tank, which I take off the bike every fall. Weather yesterday still cold and windy, today much better, but this is the coldest and most uninspiring Spring in Ontario I remember with temperature on Victoria Day hardly reaching 12 C. This week suppose to have be warmer reaching suddenly 27 C this coming Sunday.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Fitted 7 plate clutch, put some new badges on my sidepanels and while the primary case was off gave it a burl on the polisher.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I’m having to re-learn characteristics which came to light last summer but which I’d forgotten about during the winter lay-up. For example, it’s always been a good starter, usually first kick but on a hot day like today it’ll cough and splutter below 2000rpm unless I flood the carbs first. Even if I’ve only stopped for five minutes if the engine is hot it needs a tickle.
Hi Chris,

I find that if I stop for petrol for 5 mins or so, it needs full tickle and full choke to fire up again, and maybe 3 or 4 kicks, the choke off straight away once it's running again. Cold start is the same, but it starts first kick. Every time. But needs the choke for maybe half a mile.

AIUI it's the fuel vapourising in the carbs and it needs plenty of fuel to overcome that on a warm start.

I'm using 97 RON fuel.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Hi Bob, That is fantastic! I hope the Triumph owner brought 2 tow ropes for the Nortons. Just in case...
Just kidding of course. Great bunch of bikes! Things are starting to open up around San Francisco bay area. Truthfully to police or park rangers never hassle us. We always wear masks & do more than 6'. Not so much to follow letter of the law, but just don't want to take chances. Lots of covid-19 in our area.

I really miss the long rides & lunch with the gang each week. All our lunch/coffee stops are closed. Even when outdoor seating is opened up, will it be safe? I don't think so. Not in our area. All restrooms are locked tight! Restrooms closed in most businesses also. Got to be careful to be discrete in the canyons. Huge consequences if you get caught going near road. Plus not easy for the ladies. So my wife hasn't ridden with me for a while now.
Don

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Hi Andy, We have to tickle for hot start here also. Modern fuel evaporates so fast near warm motor it won't fire without tickle. Lots of guys with MKII carbs use choke for hot start.
My old Mazda pickup truck with carb did same thing. Hard to start hot. Had to crank it much longer. Auto choke so I couldn't cheat it. Cold start on all is perfect.
On a side note, no amount of heat insulator in front of carb matters. Thin, thick spacer or air gap. No change. A few guys run no spacers. No worse, which is surprising.
Don

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Hi Fazers1, Looks really nice the way you put Bonneville motif on retro side covers. Looks like what factory should have done! Very nice looking machine!!
I've been putting magneto cable boot on clutch cables. Part # Lucas 454475 they are skinner at the top & grab cable tightly & fit nicely over the lower abutment at same time. Search Ebay UK with above #.
Don

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hi Andy, We have to tickle for hot start here also. Modern fuel evaporates so fast near warm motor it won't fire without tickle. Lots of guys with MKII carbs use choke for hot start.
My old Mazda pickup truck with carb did same thing. Hard to start hot. Had to crank it much longer. Auto choke so I couldn't cheat it. Cold start on all is perfect.
On a side note, no amount of heat insulator in front of carb matters. Thin, thick spacer or air gap. No change. A few guys run no spacers. No worse, which is surprising.
Don
Hi Don, not just me then! I've got 2 new Premiers on, jetted at the factory for the T100R. The plugs look fine, light brown colour, exhausts not blued, tickover fine once warm, bike runs well, so I think the mixture is fine - or at least good enough. Up to this winter I had the 2 old (original 32k miles) Concentrics on, but I wasn't sure that they were OK, even though the bike ran OK and warm started a bit easier. I've fitted the thick (say 5mm) cardboard carb insulating gaskets that came with the carbs. Now I've worked out how to start it warm it's not a problem, but it would be nice to get it to start first kick when warm. My balance is not what it was so standing over the bike to kick it when off the stands requires patience and concentration! Getting older sucks.......

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Fazers1, Looks really nice the way you put Bonneville motif on retro side covers. Looks like what factory should have done! Very nice looking machine!!
I've been putting magneto cable boot on clutch cables. Part # Lucas 454475 they are skinner at the top & grab cable tightly & fit nicely over the lower abutment at same time. Search Ebay UK with above #.
Don
Thanks Don I"ll have a look for the cable boot, Im currently trying to get parts for a hydraulic clutch conversion {just something to tinker with}Gonna use cheap remote slave and cheap master so wont be much in it £ wise.

·
6,881 Posts
Hi,

fitted the thick (say 5mm) cardboard carb insulating gaskets that came with the carbs.
One hopes not really "cardboard"; iirc originals were Tufnol or a similar industrial laminate.

been putting magneto cable boot on clutch cables
skinner at the top & grab cable tightly
Some Triumph parts books show a C-clip - 57-4194 - around the top of the standard 57-1646 "Rubber cap"; at least one of mine has one, works well. Others have a standard zip-tie around the top of the "cap" and cable, tightened as required then trimmed; also works (y)

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
427 Posts
A bit of tinkering required before I could go out today.

I’ve been getting some clonking from the front when going over bumps recently but having jacked up the bike and pulled the forks/wheel every way I could think of I was unable to replicate it in the shed. Putting the bike on the main stand when the front wheel is momentarily off the ground did produce a similar noise but I still couldn’t pinpoint the source. Steering head bearing adjustment is easy thanks to this forum and it’s free so that’s where I started. The top stem nut did need a tweak, not much at all but I could feel when it was adjusting the bearings so I nipped it up and then backed it off a fraction making sure that the handlebars flopped from side to side under their own weight easily.

Job done so off for a test ride…no…the front brake lever wasn’t returning as easily as it should. This problem got traced to a fraying inner cable binding on the outer, luckily I’d kept the old cable so this got lubed and re-installed. I think I originally replaced this because it felt spongy and I thought a new one would be better but it wasn’t.

Now off for a ride, clonking gone and a much nicer feeling front brake! It was only a short ride to Goring-on-Thames, a favourite lunch spot and about a 30 mile round trip, the photo was taken pre-lockdown.
IMG_0260.jpg DSCN2211.jpg

·
Registered
11,475 Posts
Rode along my favourite route where I saw many people enjoying the great clear weather. It will be closed for motor vehicles on the weekend to allow people to spread out while enjoying the outdoors.
When I returned I noticed a wire had come loose from a rear signal but then I also found a broken wire coming from the same signal. I adjusted the idle as the hotter weather called for a bit of a tweak. Fixed them both and called it a day on a positive note deciding not to tinker and upset my good luck. I guess I should be doing more maintenance and repair but I lack the motivation knowing the rides are short and less numerous. I do let it sit still a lot more now.

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
Rode along my favourite route where I saw many people enjoying the great clear weather. It will be closed for motor vehicles on the weekend to allow people to spread out while enjoying the outdoors.
When I returned I noticed a wire had come loose from a rear signal but then I also found a broken wire coming from the same signal. I adjusted the idle as the hotter weather called for a bit of a tweak. Fixed them both and called it a day on a positive note deciding not to tinker and upset my good luck. I guess I should be doing more maintenance and repair but I lack the motivation knowing the rides are short and less numerous. I do let it sit still a lot more now. What a great picture. View attachment 726136

·
Registered
11,475 Posts
Lowered the jet needles to mid slot hoping to fix some jerkiness from 1/8 to 1/4 throttle. As a challenge, I did them without removing the carbs, without removing the tank and without first changing my new clean t-shirt into a work shirt. I really wish I bought the allen bolts for the carb caps like Retrorod did! Here's a pic of the t-shirt after the adjustment. Not a spot of oil! I can't test today but if it eliminated the jerkiness upon acceleration I think I did okay! Especially with the t-shirt!

Attachments

5881 - 5900 of 5938 Posts