Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

5861 - 5880 of 5938 Posts

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Hi Andy,

:unsure: Not sure why you would? When this "lockdown" malarkey started, based on what swmbo said she was reading on Wastebook, I did wonder if it'd turn into a snoopers' charter. However, the vast majority of Chief Constables have gone on at least local TV and said they "police by consent", the few that did think they were arbiters of the detail of people's lives have had their chains jerked by the politicians. As far as riding or driving's concerned, it was pronounced some time ago you can ride/drive anywhere for exercise, the guideline being the exercise period should be at least twice the ride/drive period. You return home, say, two hours after you departed; anyone asks, your rode for half-an-hour, walked for an hour and rode home. You really think the police will set up an investigation for corroborating witnesses? :)

I'm out and about anyway as a "key worker"; while I've a letter on company headed notepaper to say so, I haven't seen the local Old Bill doing anything different from what they did before the "lockdown" - certainly no road-blocks or similar (not that it'd do 'em any good, too many minor roads, tracks, 4WD's and off-road bikes ... :sneaky:).
Ime, the worst problem has been trying to do any quick shopping when the masked knob-ends are out, the Trolley Two-Step palls very rapidly ... :rolleyes: However, they all seem to be back self-isolating in time for the daily 6 o'clock doom-'n'-gloom episode from the Bullsh1t Broadcasting Corporation so that's when I go.

Regards,
In Colorado, it seems the police are minimizing face-to-face contact by reducing traffic stops. The few weeks of reduced traffic are over. I live on a scenic route and bicycle, jogger, motorcycle, auto, and truck traffic are as heavy as a mid-summer weekend. We rode 3 vintage bikes 100 miles yesterday, on state highways county roads and Estes Park streets, mid-morning to avoid traffic and had most of the roads to ourselves until noon. There was lots of road construction. We all wear bandanas or masks in case we encounter anyone---but we didn't. Covid-19 cases near here are high and re-openings are gradual and measured. We do not have testing, so we won't know what works for retail and manufacturing. 52% of the deaths here are older than 80. I'm 72. Stay safe.. Bob

·
Registered
11,475 Posts
Well, here they've closed the park where usually people pack in crowding to look at the cherry trees blossoming every spring. This year they've planted a live cam so you can watch from the quiet comfort of your own home. Doesn't quite do it for me but better than nothing. The pic after live link is from this mornng's ride at another park a couple of km closer to the city where the trees are fenced in but still visible from the street. Tomorrow will be 21* C. - warmest day this year. I won't be going near there due to the crowds expected.
Blossom Cam

·
Registered
321 Posts
:giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

Hi Stuart,

All I can say is, there's been some fairly 'robust' condemnations of neighbours in our small village on FB. People apparently having friends round, going out when they don't need to, that sort of thing. I've given up on FB - not that I ever had much of a presence - the vitriol is ridiculous.

We have had Plod in the village asking people where they were going.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Hi All, One thing I miss is the location being under poster's name. I've met several guys from this forum locally. Became friends with many.

During social distancing ride at rest stop, fellow came by on brand new Triumph & stopped for a break. Turned out to be our very own freshprince from this group. Had a nice chat. He stills has his T140. Might ride that next time.

Looking forward to enjoying lunch again with the riders. Still 6' is better than nothing.

First time I've seen one of these new Triumph in real life. Wow!! What a work of art. It's just massive! He reports it rides really well. He gave permission to post a few photos.

One of the great things about this group & Triumph riders in general is so many nice people you meet.
Don

Attachments

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
Hi All, One thing I miss is the location being under poster's name. I've met several guys from this forum locally. Became friends with many.

During social distancing ride at rest stop, fellow came by on brand new Triumph & stopped for a break. Turned out to be our very own freshprince from this group. Had a nice chat. He stills has his T140. Might ride that next time.

Looking forward to enjoying lunch again with the riders. Still 6' is better than nothing.

First time I've seen one of these new Triumph in real life. Wow!! What a work of art. It's just massive! He reports it rides really well. He gave permission to post a few photos.

One of the great things about this group & Triumph riders in general is so many nice people you meet.
Don
They are very nice Don, i viewed these R111s before they went on sale. I already have the model i bought new in 2006 so not wanting to buy another. I would like to have seen a 3 litre version but not very likely. Triumph had killed off the R111 a few years ago and said they were discontinued in favour of building the small bikes. I bought a 1700 Thunderbird LT in 2017 so the garage is a little crowded out.
A lot of production is now going to Asia and the British factory will be mostly development. The company sells more bikes in the UK than all the Japanese brands combined. Possibly the best bike they produce as a fun bike is the new T120 1200cc road bike with around 90 BHP. Of course, i am a big fan of British bikes and only have Triumph and BSA in the garage now.
The new R111 is a lot lighter than my older model and with the extra power, it is extremely fast at getting away from rest. I am lucky i can road test any of the new Triumph range locally having bought a few of them.
Quality is excellent and i have spent very little on repairs. About £400 in parts since 2001. I do my own service work as the dealer cost is prohibitive. I have no 2 year guarantee due to not letting the dealer do the service. Not a bad risk as nothing has gone wrong in a 2 year from new period.
Gator loves his 1200 bike.
Some very informed assistance you are giving, some readers are really benefitting from your repair details and i read them as a source of alternative methods. Keep it going Don.

·
Registered
427 Posts
This morning I put together a shopping list of everything I’ll need to change the gearbox sprocket from 18T to 19T, pullers, gaskets oils seals etc. The intention was to order everything on Monday but the bike behaved impeccably on today’s mission to find yeast (which was a success) and I don’t think I can bring myself to pull it apart.

My confidence in the bike has taken a knock recently with the oil pressure switch and air filter failures but it’s gradually coming back after 100 incident free miles over the last three days. Last summer I’d happily cover that distance in a day and be sure I’d get home, I’m not quite at that point yet even if such a trip was allowed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This morning I put together a shopping list of everything I’ll need to change the gearbox sprocket from 18T to 19T, pullers, gaskets oils seals etc. The intention was to order everything on Monday but the bike behaved impeccably on today’s mission to find yeast (which was a success) and I don’t think I can bring myself to pull it apart.

My confidence in the bike has taken a knock recently with the oil pressure switch and air filter failures but it’s gradually coming back after 100 incident free miles over the last three days. Last summer I’d happily cover that distance in a day and be sure I’d get home, I’m not quite at that point yet even if such a trip was allowed.
View attachment 724790

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hello Rusty
I changed my gearbox sprocket to a 19T recently. Will your chain be long enough ?
Nick
Hi Nick, I suspect I'll have to add a couple of links to the chain. How much difference did the 19T sprocket make? I'd like to achieve a more relaxed ride at 60 mph, I do use the bike on major roads occasionally and staying at that speed for any period is too uncomfortable for me. The bike's fine with it, but it is buzzy and noisy.

It's quite an expensive exercise by the time I've bought all the stuff needed to get to it, just under £100 to change a £23 sprocket.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Nick, I suspect I'll have to add a couple of links to the chain. How much difference did the 19T sprocket make? I'd like to achieve a more relaxed ride at 60 mph, I do use the bike on major roads occasionally and staying at that speed for any period is too uncomfortable for me. The bike's fine with it, but it is buzzy and noisy.

It's quite an expensive exercise by the time I've bought all the stuff needed to get to it, just under £100 to change a £23 sprocket.
Hi Rusty
When I bought my bike, although it is a Daytona was in T100C trim, ie high level exhaust, 5" headlamp, knobbly tyres and lower gearing. It wasn't suitable for my sort of riding.
The sprockets were 18/50T. I changed the rear to the standard 46T and took 2 links out of the chain.
With the 19T gearbox sprocket my (newish) chain is ok but just about at the limit on the adjusters , any larger sprocket would mean a longer chain.
Changing from 18 to 19 teeth will have a direct affect on the overall gearing ie 19/18 = 5.5% higher gearing
I was advised that a 20T sprocket is best for the Daytona giving 20/18 = 11% .
I tried to fit a 20T sprocket but it jammed in the hole in the chaincase so I decided against it. No doubt it could have been tapped in , but not by me.
My Daytona handbook quotes 743/min engine revs @ 10mph. With the 19T sprocket this comes down to 704/min. so at 60mph the engine revs will be 4224/min. I'll settle for that.The speedo will probably slow around 63-64.
£100 ? It is quite a lot of money and effort but you will be able to examine your clutch, primary chain and the gearbox oil seal.

Just checked my chain , 102 links as standard.
Nick

·
Registered
427 Posts
Many thanks for that Nick, very helpful. The reduction in revs @ 60mph isn’t huge but it’ll be enough on my bike where 4000 – 4200 is a nice sweet spot.

The bulk of the cost is the tools - sprocket nut box spanner, clutch locking tool, clutch hub puller and the engine sprocket puller. I have read that it’s possible to release the clutch basket from the primary chain by taking out the rollers and leaving the engine sprocket alone but I don’t want to get caught out halfway through the job. I’ll also replace the sprocket cover seal/gasket and the gearbox oil seal while I’m in there so it all adds up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Many thanks for that Nick, very helpful. The reduction in revs @ 60mph isn’t huge but it’ll be enough on my bike where 4000 – 4200 is a nice sweet spot.

The bulk of the cost is the tools - sprocket nut box spanner, clutch locking tool, clutch hub puller and the engine sprocket puller. I have read that it’s possible to release the clutch basket from the primary chain by taking out the rollers and leaving the engine sprocket alone but I don’t want to get caught out halfway through the job. I’ll also replace the sprocket cover seal/gasket and the gearbox oil seal while I’m in there so it all adds up.
I managed without the sprkt box spanner. You could try to undo it with a good adjustable. I did, but if it's not too expensive......
The gearbox sprocket puller I bought will also work on the engine sprkt, but I did not take it off. I did it as you say by roller replacement after clutch basket fitting. A bit of a chore placing each individual roller but easier the second time :) a pair tweezers or small fingers required.
The clutch center extractor is necessary.
I did the oil seal and also sealed the end of the layshaft bearing. Care is needed when fitting the new gearbox mainshaft seal. Make sure it goes in square to the housing.
Bearing in mind that the seal has to both seal on its inside and outside diameters.
I was in pursuit of an oil leak that had resulted in damage to the gearbox sometime in the past.
Did I succeed? - a definite maybe
Nick

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi Rusty,
As you plan to fit a 19T gearbox sprocket to reduce the revs, rather than trying to get a 20T in you might like to consider changing the rear sprocket to 43T, as this is a much easier change to do especially if you have a QD rear wheel like I do. I have this 19/43T combination on my T100T and it gives a good set of gear ratios that reduces the "buzziness": 60mph is 3931 rpm and 70 is 4586 rpm. You will need a shorter chain of 101 links for this sprocket combination for good adjuster range (the standard 102 links will be at the back end limit of the adjusters).

·
Registered
427 Posts
Thanks Brian but I don't have a QD rear wheel and I don't think that 43T sprockets are available for the standard wheel, at least I've not been able to find them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As a Hinkley triple owner (don't hate me guys!) I sometimes also read the threads on that section of the Triumph Rat forum and they have a long running thread "what I did to my classic triple today" or something very similar. Posters put up a few lines about what they did with their 'bikes that day..... polished it, rode it, rebuilt it, crashed it, etc etc you get the idea, anything goes really.

Anyway, thought it might be worth starting a similar thread here as I'm selling the "modern" 'bike and concentrating on my classics.
I'll start it off....

Today I got back my speedo which I'd sent to the UK for repair. It was working but had a lot of needle "flutter". Looks like new (still) and can't wait to try it out....

OK who's next?

Richard
As a Hinkley triple owner (don't hate me guys!) I sometimes also read the threads on that section of the Triumph Rat forum and they have a long running thread "what I did to my classic triple today" or something very similar. Posters put up a few lines about what they did with their 'bikes that day..... polished it, rode it, rebuilt it, crashed it, etc etc you get the idea, anything goes really.

Anyway, thought it might be worth starting a similar thread here as I'm selling the "modern" 'bike and concentrating on my classics.
I'll start it off....

Today I got back my speedo which I'd sent to the UK for repair. It was working but had a lot of needle "flutter". Looks like new (still) and can't wait to try it out....

OK who's next?

Richard
I ride, you ride, I don't hate.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Wonders will never cease - been out twice now on my 72 T100R in 2 days. Firstly on Tuesday when we were on 100% lockdown except for essentials. Needed to take my wife's phone to a man in a shed locally for repair and I deemed that to be essential travel as she's about to go into hospital and will need her phone working. I can't work out how, but what should have been a 12 mile round trip somehow morphed into a 30 miler, on a lovely sunny, if chilly, day.

That of course meant that I had to do the trip again the next day to pick the phone up. Again, somehow got lost on the way back, but at least overnight Boris has told us we can go out for exercise as much as we like. I was wearing my walking boots so could have gone for a walk had the need arisen. I will have to 'fess up however, in that we live on the Welsh border and I genuinely forgot that the Welsh Assembly has not relaxed its lockdown and I did stray a couple of miles into Wales on the way home. Sorry, Officer. Won't happen again. Honest.

So, 65 miles in 2 days. I must say, it has lifted my mood a bit after sitting at home watching the sunniest April on record for the UK pass in front of my eyes. Very nice to hear that 500 on song over 4500 rpm.

FWIW, still not sure we are allowed to go for a ride though. Boris says that we can go out to meet someone provided we social distance, and that's what the TOMCC (and others) say. However, the updated government guidance also says 'Stay Home' (as much as you can) so I'm not sure that just going out for a ride, and not meeting up with anyone, is OK. I can't see that a simple solo ride poses any more risk than a ride to meet someone, but not sure what Plod would say if I was stopped. Not that I'd expect to be stopped on our local country lanes around here on the English/Welsh Borderlands.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
As our travel restrictions gradually decrease, we did a 70-mile mountain loop in our county. It got chilly at the highest elevation and spit a few sprinkles at us going back down the Cache la Poudre river. The river was running high with the spring runoff, making a very scenic ride.
3 bikes at Ed's.jpg
3 bikes at Ed's.jpg

Attachments

5861 - 5880 of 5938 Posts