Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

5841 - 5860 of 5938 Posts

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
No better social distance than being on a bike. I guess you could ride up to Glen Haven for some cherry cobbler. I wish I could.
I wish our governments in Australia agreed. We’ve all been locked up at home with severe restrictions about going outside. Pleasure riding is banned with hefty fines if ya caught. ?. RR

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
My GF in 65/66 had a green Monza convertible I drove all over the place with her.....top down of course....lotsa fun.........why we usually left my '51 Ford Crestliner at home (did have a factory vinyl roof - my mom's first new car dad bought for her, then went to my grandmother, I bought from her in '64 for $100.)

I rolled everything out of the motorcycle stall of the garage. The Corvair is due for repairs tomorrow. I'm waiting on
dowty washers to finish the tank exchange on the desert sled. Bob

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
Rusty -

Sorry I didn't get to this, but glad CoBob did.....been juggling a lot of balls recently......Covid19 ain't slowin' me down a bit.....but then I live on 15 acres in the woods with a 1/2 mile gravel road to my house I maintain.....

What sizes would be equivalent to 3.25–19 and 400–18 GN?

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
Today, i am fitting a 7ah Yuasa multi use lead acid battery. Often used in alarm systems and £16 to buy. I used these for many years previously and they tend to last well over 5 years. It might not suit bikes that require headlight on when riding but does work with indicators. These can be fitted on their sides in any direction but not upside down. I know T120RV in Canada has been using one for a long time now. My current battery is an AGM Varta but having used these alarm batteries previously for near 20 years, at a third of the price, i am returning. My two bikes with AGM batteries have faired well at 4 years. I will leave the BSA with an AGM for now. My AGM makes were Varta and Dynavolt. Both lasting the same length of time. Not having battery problems much as i can ride without headlight and just a bright LED day riding light on both bikes.
I can use a headlight on main roads at night with an alarm battery without it going flat. It might be a risk though.

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
All done and reading 13 volts. The old one had been showing 12 volts for quite some time now. The new one is physically a lot smaller than the 9ah i replaced but is full width of the carrier. The headlight on and indicators work fine without much voltage drop when engine not running. Should be good for over 5 years. Spade terminals so clamped them in so they dont sneak off when it runs.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Today, i am fitting a 7ah Yuasa multi use lead acid battery. Often used in alarm systems and £16 to buy. I used these for many years previously and they tend to last well over 5 years. It might not suit bikes that require headlight on when riding but does work with indicators. These can be fitted on their sides in any direction but not upside down. I know T120RV in Canada has been using one for a long time now. My current battery is an AGM Varta but having used these alarm batteries previously for near 20 years, at a third of the price, i am returning. My two bikes with AGM batteries have faired well at 4 years. I will leave the BSA with an AGM for now. My AGM makes were Varta and Dynavolt. Both lasting the same length of time. Not having battery problems much as i can ride without headlight and just a bright LED day riding light on both bikes.
I can use a headlight on main roads at night with an alarm battery without it going flat. It might be a risk though.
Hi Rambo, like you I’m using the 7Ah battery and agree that life is 4-5 years. Most recent one purchased 4 weeks ago for AUD$36. I run a 45/55 watt QH headlight and run exclusively on high beam (55watts). This battery handles the continuous headlamp draw and have never been caught out with a flat battery from running the headlight. Like you Rambo, I get these batteries for a fraction of the price of a ‘regular’ motorcycle battery. RR. ?

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
I did connect a 60 watt lamp to a 7ah battery for 30 minutes. The battery did warm up a little. I was using these 7ah batteries from 1998 until about 5 years ago when i just bought an AGM battery for 35 pounds. It would appear that , having run these for so long, there is not much risk involved. Yuasa suggest a 5 year life is normal but i found they will last much longer. They are also exceptional for holding charge when laid up. Not supposed to be charged at any high amperage and i suspect even a Triumph alternator output is a bit too high but they do stick it. Got space under the seat for a sandwich now on top of the battery.

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
Well, during this stay home period, boredom sets in so, made a fuel rig from a boat fuel tank. Carried on polishing and finished by getting the soot out of the silencers. Its too shiney now.

Attachments

·
Registered
427 Posts
It’s been a great day in my shed (the bike’s new home) ticking off jobs I’ve been intending to do for a while, so nice to have a workbench at last. Everything went well although there was the usual mistake along the way.

The plan was to replace the gaskets between the cylinder head and inlet manifolds. Last year one of the manifold retaining bolts worked loose and whilst I tightened it up at the time I noticed the gasket was brittle. A couple of new ones in the Cov-Seal gasket set prompted a proper fix, fresh gaskets installed and a dab of blue loctite on the Allen bolts. Don’t know if the loctite will work with the cylinder head heat but as long as they don’t loosen again I’ll be happy.

Second job was to replace the insulating spacers between the manifolds and carbs. I had previously fitted new ones but ordered 5mm instead of 3mm thickness, the carbs went on ok and never loosened but I always felt uneasy about the lack of threads poking through the carb nuts, it’s much better now.

While the carbs were off they got a strip, clean and the float heights were re-checked. I got two healthy jets of WD40 from the tiny holes at the front of the carbs so they all went back together and were refitted to the bike, slides and chokes in and carb tops put back on. Then I saw a needle/main jet holder sitting on the workbench amongst the various tools so a bit of re-work but got there in the end.

Final job was to give the front reflectors a lick of paint while the tank was off.

·
Registered
11,475 Posts
I know T120RV in Canada has been using one for a long time now.
Yes, you are correct, rambo. On your advice I use the fire-alarm batteries exclusively. I get them from the local hardware store and they are innexpensive and convenient to buy. I do not get the 5 years out of mine though, maybe about only 3-4 because I usually ride all year and the cold winter starts (minus 12* Celcius) must take its toll. I got only 2-4 years on the Yuasa or Bikemaster AGM's for the same reason but they were double the cost. Good to see your posts, GN's, RR and CB's too. Look'n good BMF & Rusty!

Haven't been commuting to work with the bike because I am lucky enough to be still working but from home now. I did steal out yesterday to get some air though and take my eyes off this computer screen. I wish all a healthy many months ahead. Ride as often as you can and keep smiling!

·
Registered
427 Posts
The latest bits to get the black paint treatment were the rear number plate brackets, not a great job but a vast improvement over the previous finish. I’ve done the speedo & tacho, zener heatsink and tank reflectors so far. Next on the list are the chain guard and front engine mount plates both of which look a bit more tricky to remove. This is all good fun but the frame paint does look more shabby every time I put the newly painted bits back. My new timing light should arrive tomorrow so I’ll wheel the bike back to the rented lock-up to set the ignition timing. It’s so peaceful around here now that I don’t think my neighbours would appreciate such antics in my garden.
DSCN2190.jpg

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
I just had to ride a bike today. Trying out after fitting a new Boyer MK1v. When the old one failed, the engine was running very rough for a few minutes and some of the primary fixings unscrewed. I had tightened them back up when i got home. On my short trial today, i could hear the primary making a little noise. Back home and found no oil in there. Odd because there was no sign of the oil having leaked out. Not a drop visible on the bike or tyre. Test ride went ok and back for a primary top up and nuts and bolt checks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Got my bike out for the third weekend in a row after a 15 month slumber after moving to a new house. Finally tackled a proper oil change after my last half-assed one and am slowly working through the motions of this routine maintenance. Working my way baby stepping and a huge shout out to Don offering some much appreciated guidance giving me the confidence to do this. I’m looking forward to finishing this in the coming week, including the installation of my Tri Cor oil filter that arrived a few days ago. I’ve got to say this is such a welcome distraction- the garage time and especially the seat time during these unprecedented times we are living in. Also very nice to dive deeper in the Triumph community and make a friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
427 Posts
I just had to ride a bike today. Trying out after fitting a new Boyer MK1v.
I know how you feel, I did the same after re-timing the bike. I did take a rucksack and stopped for milk on the way home but the journey to the supermarket was 20 miles on the bike rather than 1 mile on foot. I do hope that the current trend in UK cases results in some easing of the restrictions, solo biking seems to represent little risk but I guess there are loads of groups of different hobbyists who could all put forward a similar viewpoint. Before you know it everybody would be out and about again.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Odd that, Chris. I've just had the same experience.

I found an excuse last week to get out twice on the Daytona, the first time to get some eggs from a nearby farm, which has an honesty box at their gate. However, that only morphed into a 3 mile round-the-block run.

I then needed cash so had to go to our nearby town to get to an outdoor ATM, as the wife is shielding in advance of a summer of surgery which she cannot miss, so I can't afford to go into the shop in the village to get cash out of the indoor atm and risk getting the bug. So, it had to be a 12 mile round trip to get to an outdoor atm. Since HMG doesn't say that we have to use cars to get to the essentials, I used the Daytona again. Well, you have to, don't you?

However, somehow, and I cannot for the life of me understand how I got lost in that small town that I know so well, so lost that I ended up on the wrong road out of town, and what should have been a quick 12 miler, turned into a 25 miler, Officer.

Now, we do need some more eggs today......

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Hi All, Most important we follow strict social distancing with our Triumphs... Don't want anything to happen to them!!
At the rest stop Redwood Rd. near Castro Valley, CA. John's & my bikes.
Don

Attachments

·
Registered
11,475 Posts
Looking good, TR7RVMan! It's odd but I've noticed that a pandemic seems to make people wave and thumbs up the bike more often as I ride by than normal. Very odd.
Anyway...Spring has sprung in the city, Figaros and Blossoms!

20200502_121128.jpg
20200502_121817.jpg
20200502_121128.jpg 20200502_121817.jpg

·
Registered
321 Posts
You might get a wave in Canada - here in the UK you'd be more likely to get a visit from the police, having been reported by your neighbours, to judge by the posts in my village FaceBook group! On the 4 occasions I've been out on my 72 Daytona in the past 6 weeks, I've made sure people know I'm going to the ATM or a local farm for eggs!

·
6,881 Posts
Hi Andy,

here in the UK you'd be more likely to get a visit from the police,
:unsure: Not sure why you would? When this "lockdown" malarkey started, based on what swmbo said she was reading on Wastebook, I did wonder if it'd turn into a snoopers' charter. However, the vast majority of Chief Constables have gone on at least local TV and said they "police by consent", the few that did think they were arbiters of the detail of people's lives have had their chains jerked by the politicians. As far as riding or driving's concerned, it was pronounced some time ago you can ride/drive anywhere for exercise, the guideline being the exercise period should be at least twice the ride/drive period. You return home, say, two hours after you departed; anyone asks, your rode for half-an-hour, walked for an hour and rode home. You really think the police will set up an investigation for corroborating witnesses? :)

I'm out and about anyway as a "key worker"; while I've a letter on company headed notepaper to say so, I haven't seen the local Old Bill doing anything different from what they did before the "lockdown" - certainly no road-blocks or similar (not that it'd do 'em any good, too many minor roads, tracks, 4WD's and off-road bikes ... :sneaky:).
Ime, the worst problem has been trying to do any quick shopping when the masked knob-ends are out, the Trolley Two-Step palls very rapidly ... :rolleyes: However, they all seem to be back self-isolating in time for the daily 6 o'clock doom-'n'-gloom episode from the Bullsh1t Broadcasting Corporation so that's when I go.

Regards,

5841 - 5860 of 5938 Posts