Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

5801 - 5820 of 6037 Posts

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Very warm sunny day here Today, so, bike out in the afternoon. My wife decided to come along this time which is 3 years since being on pillion. Pump up the tyres a little and out for a 30 mile runaround with a long straight to get it up to 85 mph to make sure everyone was awake.
This is where a 750 kit gives great benefits when loading a bike with 400lb of body weight. It will still pull up the steep hills in high gears and the pillion weight does not make a huge difference in acceleration. Still running happily at higher speeds without getting very warm and on return, the oil was still not hot. Put hand on the cases and you can keep it there. Gear outer cover was barely warm to the touch.
Still surprising how much a motorcycle chain will take when accelerating hard with a total weight of near 750 lbs. Hoping maybe the two club runs might take place in 3 months time, but if not, will do the run anyway with a breakfast at Princetown on Dartmoor.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Hi, Starting midnight tonight rest of California on shelter at home. Pleasure riding motorcycles forbidden. . Yet golf & walking in parks, on sidewalks, dog walking, ok so long as you do social distancing 6' with non household members. Most stores & all bars closed. Restaurants take out only. Ok to get gas & groceries. Auto repair & construction ok. Hardware stores, pharmacy, hospitals ok. Again 6'.

In fact almost everyone is following rules in my area. Close to center of virus. Actually getting serious in my area so we can't ignore it. Catching up on wife's honey do list. Ok, that will take years. But working on bike some too. Since that's mechanical work you must road test to verify safety. Right???

Older grand kids get the 6' rule, but my little 2 year old grandson wants a hug & snuggle. Missing that myself. Did I mention he loves Triumphs. View attachment 720482
A lovely photo and nice sentiments Don. A great photo to look back on for both of you. Stay well old fella.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Hi, Starting midnight tonight rest of California on shelter at home. Pleasure riding motorcycles forbidden. . Yet golf & walking in parks, on sidewalks, dog walking, ok so long as you do social distancing 6' with non household members. Most stores & all bars closed. Restaurants take out only. Ok to get gas & groceries. Auto repair & construction ok. Hardware stores, pharmacy, hospitals ok. Again 6'.

In fact almost everyone is following rules in my area. Close to center of virus. Actually getting serious in my area so we can't ignore it. Catching up on wife's honey do list. Ok, that will take years. But working on bike some too. Since that's mechanical work you must road test to verify safety. Right???

Older grand kids get the 6' rule, but my little 2 year old grandson wants a hug & snuggle. Missing that myself. Did I mention he loves Triumphs. View attachment 720482
BTW Don, could you push me in the direction of the supplier of those classy looking saddlebags. Did you make up the bag holder frame? If so, piccie by any chance? It’s a bit of an ask I know, but you’re a helpful fellow I know. Sharp bike all round, a ‘72 if I recall?

·
Registered
402 Posts
What to do here in the UK? It's another wall to wall blue sky, with almost no aircraft movement and their condensation trails, and it's very quiet here in my little village. No-one about. It was much the same yesterday and I rolled the T100R out into the sun and was going to go out for an hour. But I didn't - there's so much on the media about people not following the guidance and mixing, such that we may get the total lock down any day. It just felt antisocial - even though it isn't.

I know that in an hour's ride out in the sun I'll not need to have any contact with anyone, so that's following the guidance, but it's increasingly feeling wrong. The wife's on chemotherapy so she has to stay in, but the guidance says that I don't have to.

What to do?

·
Registered
463 Posts
What to do?
Difficult isn't it? Whizzing around solo on a bike is probably one of the least risky activities but if you break down you'll be initiating contact with others. I did go out before I pulled the timing cover but I didn't enjoy it. I can also go fishing without seeing another soul but I've chosen to comply with the principle of social distancing and I'm staying at home. I'm bored out of my skin but with a clear conscience.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
I have the advantage of living in a thinly populated area and can travel roads with little traffic. I got 5 gallons of E0 gas last month and am able to travel with no interaction. Most traffic I encounter is bicyclists getting exercise. The trailheads were packed recently, but with melting snow are closed because of mud. A major airline corridor is overhead and the quiet is rare and nice. Rocky Mountain National Park is nearby and closed. I ordered a idle control valve for my pickup from the auto supply store and need to go to town on wednesday. I'm glad to be retired with money in the bank. Motorcycle riding will be with 1 friend or alone for the forseeable future; mostly test rides like yesterday. There will be no lunch stops. The Bonneville Shop gets me parts in 1 day. My project backlog is seeing progress. It's odd passing by friends houses and not stopping by. What a mess. Stay healthy. Bob

·
Registered
402 Posts
Difficult isn't it? Whizzing around solo on a bike is probably one of the least risky activities but if you break down you'll be initiating contact with others. I did go out before I pulled the timing cover but I didn't enjoy it. I can also go fishing without seeing another soul but I've chosen to comply with the principle of social distancing and I'm staying at home. I'm bored out of my skin but with a clear conscience.
Well, that's that resolved. No-one's going anywhere in the UK for the foreseeable. Looks like I'm going to get plenty of saxophone practice in - hope I have enough reeds!

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Stripped down the T120 today for a colour change. Resprayed the frame tubes and swinging arm Paint the oil breather tube in a light blue metallic and clips in silver. Put it all together Tomorrow and back to my favourite purple and white scheme . Things to do now we are housebound due to the virus. Not much sign of it in my area yet.

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
Stay at home? When you live in the wild and expansive country of Colorado and not in a city? Never.

Who you gonna give the disease to when you are literally hundreds of yards - if not miles - from another human? This is insanity.

I'm in the country/rural Virginia, and they ain't keeping me home or off my bikes.....

GN

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Spent the last few days changing the colour of the T120r. Went for some petrol and within 3 miles, the Boyer unit failed in full advance which then makes a lot of engine clatter as the engine starts firing back through the carbs. Ride home in a breakdown van and Tomorrow will have a few checks of the unit. Not a low battery problem as it is fully charged. Checked the trigger had not slipped at the roadside. Still, it looks nice and shiney with no wood now.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
I recently rode Mr Nasty to drawn down the old gas in it. I refilled and went for a "find the elk" ride. Several herds are in the local pastures and along the creeks. Around 100 were in a field to my right and 2 were along the road. Mr Nasty has a throaty snarl
P1040088 (2).JPG
to the exhaust and I expected them to spook. They did and the brakes on the 73 were up to the task. (6Ft to spare). Mr Nasty has a Megacycle 1/2 race ex cam, pretty open pipes and an Amal 32 Premier. I wasn't happy with the WOT pull up a steep hill at 70, so It got a 280 main jet for the next ride.

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
Mr. Bowser - YOU DA MAN! 280 main?!?! No way! You gotta let us all know how that goes......

GN

I recently rode Mr Nasty to drawn down the old gas in it. I refilled and went for a "find the elk" ride. Several herds are in the local pastures and along the creeks. Around 100 were in a field to my right and 2 were along the road. Mr Nasty has a throaty snarl View attachment 720984 to the exhaust and I expected them to spook. They did and the brakes on the 73 were up to the task. (6Ft to spare). Mr Nasty has a Megacycle 1/2 race ex cam, pretty open pipes and an Amal 32 Premier. I wasn't happy with the WOT pull up a steep hill at 70, so It got a 280 main jet for the next ride.

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
LOVE THAT PURPLE Rambo! Rattle cans? You got the touch!

GN

Spent the last few days changing the colour of the T120r. Went for some petrol and within 3 miles, the Boyer unit failed in full advance which then makes a lot of engine clatter as the engine starts firing back through the carbs. Ride home in a breakdown van and Tomorrow will have a few checks of the unit. Not a low battery problem as it is fully charged. Checked the trigger had not slipped at the roadside. Still, it looks nice and shiney with no wood now.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
A 280 main jet is what the manual calls for, so it's a start over. I can't remember the factors that determined the previous jetting. I can't find my log book on that. Mr Nasty gets mostly short rides on nearby dirt roads and it's time to do a full tank tour. Progress on works-in-progress is easier with the stay-at-home order. I sold a 72 TR6 and got the corvair running. My other 73 TR7 Norton beater runs great and the head needs to come off one of the T150's. I might as well get my hands dirty, having to wash them anyway. Changing to 1 step hotter BR7EIX plugs ended my previous jetting experiments.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
LOVE THAT PURPLE Rambo! Rattle cans? You got the touch!

GN
Yes, just Hi-cote spray cans. I have been spraying bikes and cars since i was 16 though. I used to use a compressor and cellulose but not worth setting up for little jobs like this. Whole cars were done with compressor and gun. I bought one brand new car in 1983 and resprayed the lower half in a different colour in the same week. Looked nice in gold and hazelnut brown and kept the car 14 years.

5801 - 5820 of 6037 Posts