Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

5781 - 5800 of 5834 Posts

·
Registered
11,466 Posts
Don't you find the chrome tank a pain with the sun behind you? My t140e has a chrome instrument binnacle (like a trident) and with the sun behind me it's annoying. Serves me right but bling was important back then.
Our band used to have mirror tinted windows and following it could be hazardous if the sun was wrong!
I always wear a fullface helmet with a dropdown shade screen. I don't even see the tank while I'm riding unless I were to bend my kneck and stare downwards. My lowest line of sight while riding is just beyond the eyebolt clamps holding the handlebars.

·
Registered
11,466 Posts
Rode into work this morning first time this year. Wearing a fullface helmet while riding my Bonneville into work is sure a lot safer than taking crowded public transit these days!

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
A chance to contribute to this thread at last! What I did was ride it, not a long journey, 30 miles staying close to home but the bike got fully warmed up and behaved itself well, very much as it did before I winterised it. I’d forgotten how much fun it is to ride and I’m pleased to report that there’s not much to report. The oil leak wizards didn’t visit over winter so the exhaust rocker box is still seeping from the front and I think the inlet push rod tube is doing the same from the bottom joint. I hate oil leaks, neither is bad enough to warrant removing the cylinder head yet but I retire at the end of July and I might look at it then when I’ve got more time available.

Also first ride out with my new Lewis Leathers Mudlarker jacket. This was a present for my 60th birthday earlier in the year. It’s a heavy-weight waxed cotton jacket and kept me really warm in a chilly breeze. It’s practical too with big pockets for ciggies, wallet, keys, phone etc. I did try on all of the Brando-esque leather jackets while I was in the shop but decided that they didn’t look quite as cool on a mature gent with a slight paunch.

·
Registered
266 Posts
A chance to contribute to this thread at last! What I did was ride it, not a long journey, 30 miles staying close to home but the bike got fully warmed up and behaved itself well, very much as it did before I winterised it. I’d forgotten how much fun it is to ride and I’m pleased to report that there’s not much to report. The oil leak wizards didn’t visit over winter so the exhaust rocker box is still seeping from the front and I think the inlet push rod tube is doing the same from the bottom joint. I hate oil leaks, neither is bad enough to warrant removing the cylinder head yet but I retire at the end of July and I might look at it then when I’ve got more time available.

Also first ride out with my new Lewis Leathers Mudlarker jacket. This was a present for my 60th birthday earlier in the year. It’s a heavy-weight waxed cotton jacket and kept me really warm in a chilly breeze. It’s practical too with big pockets for ciggies, wallet, keys, phone etc. I did try on all of the Brando-esque leather jackets while I was in the shop but decided that they didn’t look quite as cool on a mature gent with a slight paunch.

Well done Chris, you got some miles in before the rain returned.

Those oil leaks are frustrating. Mine are only a drip a day, but that's a drip too many for me.

I retired 4 years ago this May, and I'm glad I did. Somehow, despite walking the dog 3 times a day, I seem to get more aches than I did, and clearly tempus is fugitting. I think we hang on too long in work if we don't have to. Life's too short to get this wrong, and we don't get a second chance.

I could do with a new jacket - I'll have to have a look at that Lewis jacket.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Hi.

While consulting with my mechanic friend on the next step for my rebuild, I learned that he had recently inherited a T100 1955 Tiger.
Here are some shots.

R R View attachment 718383
I just love those old exhaust pipes. My OIF has shitty small circumference things that look out of place on a Triumph. RR

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
First ride this Year! The 72 started right up on this "mild" +4*C. bright morning. I did not ride the last few months because it was either snowing, too icy on the roads or raining. It has been an odd winter this year.

I do not winterize the bike because I normally ride regularly through the winter. Surprisingly though, this winter even though I did not ride, carbs were not gummed up, old gas from November still okay, and even the cables did not stick. Bike idled perfectly at lights. Very impressive for a 48 year-old!

Passed through the park to surprise some squirrels that have not heard me ride by for a while. People were playing hockey at the ice rink and others right across from them playing a round of tennis at the tennis courts (see background in pics).
View attachment 719041 View attachment 719042 View attachment 719043 View attachment 719044

Spring is so close now!
First ride this Year! The 72 started right up on this "mild" +4*C. bright morning. I did not ride the last few months because it was either snowing, too icy on the roads or raining. It has been an odd winter this year.

I do not winterize the bike because I normally ride regularly through the winter. Surprisingly though, this winter even though I did not ride, carbs were not gummed up, old gas from November still okay, and even the cables did not stick. Bike idled perfectly at lights. Very impressive for a 48 year-old!

Passed through the park to surprise some squirrels that have not heard me ride by for a while. People were playing hockey at the ice rink and others right across from them playing a round of tennis at the tennis courts (see background in pics).
View attachment 719041 View attachment 719042 View attachment 719043 View attachment 719044

Spring is so close now!
G'day my Canadian Brother. Good to see you again. Funny you mention old gas because I too have never been troubled by gas sitting for months in the tank. I do run the the carbs dry each ride just because the **** gas we get today is not designed for carburettors. I hope your spring brings beautiful weather for you. We are into Autumn here where it can still be hot here for another 4 weeks but from then on its usually just beautiful riding weather. Thanks for your post. Very nice pics as usual.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
A balmy 8* C. riding into work. Spring looks like it has almost set in! View attachment 719938
G'day my Canadian Brother. Good to see you again. Funny you mention old gas because I too have never been troubled by gas sitting for months in the tank. I do run the the carbs dry each ride just because the **** gas we get today is not designed for carburettors. I hope your spring brings beautiful weather for you. We are into Autumn here where it can still be hot here for another 4 weeks but from then on its usually just beautiful riding weather. Thanks for your post. Very nice pics as usual.
Brother, that bike of yours is a head turner. Lovely and clean despite the roads. RR

·
Registered
11,466 Posts
RR I have been fortunate this week with 2 good days of riding to work with another as well tomorrow. The winter was too wet or icy or both to ride through however this Spring so far looks to make up for it. Good to read your posts again my good friend from Oz! Hope all is wel with you during these hysterical times. Stay well, ride often! All the Best from Canada!

🇨🇦🇦🇺

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
Warmish today and the rain has finally stopped. got the T120r out for a ride to Sidmouth on the Jurassic coast, then back to Exmouth dock area. Slow ride due to all the mud and pebbles that have been washed out into the road and water running off fields. Usual start up after a month of no use. spray in some engine starter as my leg will not kick the engine over fast enough. Starts right up and get gear on before silently engaging gear. No sticky clutch still. The cliff in the first 2 pics slid down last week. In about 50 years, the house up there will be in the sea. The walkway collapsed many years ago and work is going on to try and keep the sea wall intact now. The cliff will be allowed to fall down.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Hi All, Met a fellow at rest stop with as I recall '74 Ducati Sport. Owned many years. Repainted red long ago. A recent retiree, he now has freedom to ride mid week. John & I invited him to our weekly coffee/lunch ride. Decided on Redwood Rd. canyon ride. I covered 88 miles.
As a youth with Honda 90s the Ducati 750 was the ultimate street machine we all coveted. Of course we never actually saw one on the road as they were quite rare in our area.

So this was my first in person encounter. All I can say is WOW!! This bike is indeed all we thought it was back then. First kick starter cold & hot. Runs like a top. I didn't ride it, but sat on it running & revved motor. While not vibration free, was quite smooth. Kind of like a Triumph was not to noisy cold after start up, but heat soaked in town after the canyon running the motor has lots of rattles, just like a Triumph. Sounds like it's going to blow up, but like Triumphs it doesn't. Just sounds that way.

Bike had a few upgrades. Electronic ignition, charging system up grades. Apparently similar issues Triumphs have.

Most interesting the switch for rear brake is the exact same as our Triumph front cable switches. Same problems also...

I don't know how trouble free in real life these old Ducati are. I might expect rather like a Triumph. But it didn't leak a drop of oil. About 30k original miles. Motor never rebuilt.

I doubt I'll ever get one, but it's on my I'd like to have one. On a side note, this fellow lives nearby & is connected with the vintage European bike community, so occasionally the coffee ride might be a real group ride.

One thing I've found in the last 7 years of getting my bike on the road, is the vintage bike community, no matter the brand attracts the nicest folks you'd ever find. Is really an enjoyable hobby. Here's a few photos.
IMG_6090.JPG
IMG_6096.JPG

Don

·
Registered
85 Posts
thought i'd regale you all with my latest attempt at diagnostic mechanics
on pulling my 76 T140 out of the garage about a month ago, i started it up, but it was running real rough
hmm, i thought, thats never happened before, wonder what it could be?
must be electrics i surmised and off i went in search of the culprit
swapped HT leads and it ran the same, aha, it must be the dual output coil
pulled it out and discovered that one of the leads was cracked where it went into the coil body
pulled the lead out to find that it just pushes into a spike, so i pushed it back in
started but ran the same - real rough - when riding it seemed like it was only running on one cylinder, confirming my diagnosis that the coil was the culprit
on the email to pazon (surefire already fitted) to get one of their coils, which duly arrives
made up a bracket to fit it (was different to the one fitted before) and installed it
no start, hmm, better read the instructions - oh, its wired differently to the previous one
rewire and start her up - ran just as bad as before
hmm, maybe its fuel - pulled the left carb, cleaned all the jets, blew out all the holes and was about to put it back together, but wait a minute, that needle looks a bit odd
somehow the needle circlip has worked its way about half an inch up the spring, pulling the needle with it
rectified that, reassembled and started it up - ran sweetly
so, about a month off the road and a few hundred dollars poorer, i'm back in action
trying to remember what i did in 1 BC (before coronavirus) to make this happen - i do vaguely remember doing something with the carb, but 1 BC is a long time ago
a few lessons learned, swapping leads if the coil and leads are good won't tell you much because they both spark at the same time and before assuming and jumping to conclusions, submit your boundless intelligence to a few double takes
im a true believer in lifelong learning, and i still have some way to go - hopefully
rory
ps, i'm so glad i didn't post a request for help before letting this run its course

·
6,632 Posts
Hi Rory,

swapping leads if the coil and leads are good won't tell you much because they both spark at the same time
Depends.

You're correct if it's a dual output (two HT leads) coil, because both HT leads are part of the same circuit - it's from the coil along one HT lead, returning to the coil along the other HT lead (with both caps and plugs and the head in between part of the circuit).

Otoh, if two (or more) separate coils, each with a single HT lead, swapping leads (then caps then plugs) is a valid diagnostic process - they might spark at the same time connected to an electronic ignition but they're parts of separate HT circuits. So, if two HT components are swapped and the fault moves from one HT circuit to the other, you've found (one of) the faulty components.

about a month off the road and a few hundred dollars poorer,
i'm so glad i didn't post a request for help
:unsure: Oz humour?

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I got my first face shield coated with bugs for the year today. There's a big storm coming with lightning snow. I had just enough time to head southwest toward the blackest cloud, get close, turn around at the elk herd and haul ass for home. The thunder started 3 minutes after I rolled my 66 TR6 into the garage. Unlike my others, it requires significant throttle to start on the 1st kick. I remembered that on the 4th kick. Every time a bug went ping off my helmet, I was scared it was a big wet raindrop. Timing is everything. Bob

·
Registered
266 Posts
Out again for a short ride on my '72 T100R, since the roads are more or less dry today. Spring just creeping in here in the UK, but temps still under 10C, so not out for long. Done 120 miles now this past couple of weeks, the bike's now done 700 miles since I put it back on the road last summer after a 37 year slumber.

My local garage now has 97 octane (and 0% ethanol) at 107p/litre, which is about 15% lower than it was a couple of weeks ago, but they were queueing onto the road when I got there, so went elsewhere and paid a bit more - but for Shell 99 octane. I don't buy enough petrol in a year to worry about a few litres at top dollar. Bike seemed to like its richer diet though.

So, another 30 miles on a mix of A roads and country lanes. My legs a bit cold though, should have put my warm trousers on but, in my defence, the sun was out when I set out.

The ride made even more worthwhile in passing a few guys going to pick the kids up from school - a big grin and a thumbs-up, and two more grins. Well, you can't miss a shiny red Triumph at 20mph. 😊 😊 😊

Hopeful that we'll not get a total shut-down of the UK with this virus, otherwise we may not get many miles in at all this year, even those of us living in rural areas where you can go for a ride and not need to talk to anyone.

IMG_0009.JPG

·
Registered
366 Posts
What tyres are those Andy? I went with a new K70 400/18 rear about 2.5k miles ago and it was great when new but is squaring off already.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Hi, Starting midnight tonight rest of California on shelter at home. Pleasure riding motorcycles forbidden. . Yet golf & walking in parks, on sidewalks, dog walking, ok so long as you do social distancing 6' with non household members. Most stores & all bars closed. Restaurants take out only. Ok to get gas & groceries. Auto repair & construction ok. Hardware stores, pharmacy, hospitals ok. Again 6'.

In fact almost everyone is following rules in my area. Close to center of virus. Actually getting serious in my area so we can't ignore it. Catching up on wife's honey do list. Ok, that will take years. But working on bike some too. Since that's mechanical work you must road test to verify safety. Right???

Older grand kids get the 6' rule, but my little 2 year old grandson wants a hug & snuggle. Missing that myself. Did I mention he loves Triumphs.
IMG_4082.JPG

·
Registered
266 Posts
What tyres are those Andy? I went with a new K70 400/18 rear about 2.5k miles ago and it was great when new but is squaring off already.
Continental. The front is a semi-ribbed style.

When I had my wheels re-built last year I asked the wheel builder to fit tyres too. All I said to him was that I didn't want K70s as I had those on my 750 and wasn't keen on them when our local lanes get muddy, or the cows are going for milking.

I also didn't want a modern-looking tyre that would look out of place - so a 'classic-looking' tyre but with modern performance. And the Continentals are what I got. They are tubeless, but he fitted tubes, obviously. I hardly push the envelope on these, but they seem fine. Certainly for dry road tootling around the lanes. And the occasional blast through the gears up to 6000 rpm.....

5781 - 5800 of 5834 Posts