Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,917 Posts
As a Hinkley triple owner (don't hate me guys!) I sometimes also read the threads on that section of the Triumph Rat forum and they have a long running thread "what I did to my classic triple today" or something very similar. Posters put up a few lines about what they did with their 'bikes that day..... polished it, rode it, rebuilt it, crashed it, etc etc you get the idea, anything goes really.
Last night while in the garage on some errand I stopped and stroked her smooth, rounded parts and told her she was beautiful.

· Registered
1,917 Posts
There is a lot that I need to do with my classic Triumph, but it will have to wait until the garage is a bit warmer. I usually get her ready to go in March any way. Oil change, carb cleaning, general tightening of the loose stuff...

· Registered
1,917 Posts
I tried to start mine yesterday. I last rode it about a month ago, so it has been sitting at near freezing temps in my garage since then. I thought that I might actually attempt to ride out over my slightly icy driveway out onto the snow-packed street in front of my house, and then if I made it that far I could go out onto the main streets where there is clear pavement. Unfortunately, I didn't get her started. 20W50 is really thick after sitting for a very cold month, and it took major effort just to move the kick-start lever through its revolution. After about 10 kicks and not even a cough from the engine I decided to wait until a slightly warmer day.:(

· Registered
1,917 Posts
Yesterday it got into the 40's and I rode the Thunderbird. Today they say 50's and I will ride the Bird again as soon as I get home from work. Tomorrow they say 40's again, and I intend to fire up the old Bonnie. The last time I tried it the cold oil was too thick to move, but I should have better luck tomorrow. I might put a space heater next to her for a while first just to make things a bit easier.

· Registered
1,917 Posts
Hmmm...that didn't go very well. No spark. I have never had no spark in 33 years of owning that bike. Has the Boyer died? I doubt it. Probably a loose connection somewhere. I'll figure it out later.

I ended up riding the T-Bird all afternoon. Not a terrible consolation prize.:cool: I'm glad I got to ride it these past three days because the good weather is done for a while. Freezing rain and snow are on the way.:mad:

· Registered
1,917 Posts
Don't feel too alone, MoBe. I tried to start my old beast last week and found that it wasn't sparking. So today I pulled the gas tank off so that I could check out all of the wiring. Wires from the Boyer black box look OK. Wires on the coils look OK. Spark plug leads are solid. All wires from ignition switch look OK, and headlight works.

So I pulled the plugs, re-attached the plug leads, turned on the key, kicked her through and of course, both plugs are sparking perfectly.

So I'm thinking, maybe one of the wires is being pulled out of a good connection by the gas tank. Put the tank back on and the plugs are still firing.

Well, as long as I have the tank off I think I'll torque down the head bolts and adjust the valves. Been meaning to do that this year anyway.:mad::confused::eek:;):rolleyes::eek:

· Registered
1,917 Posts
I took the Thunderbird out for a ride. When I got back I decided to do a little work on the old Bonneville.

I adjusted the slack out of the chain. Then I removed and dismantled the carbs, which is an easy thing to do. I just put them in baggies and will get to them for a full cleanup later.

For now, the T-bird is for riding and the Bonnie is for fiddling with. I intend to have the old girl cleaned, lubed and ready to roll in March.

· Registered
1,917 Posts
I'm taking my time getting her ready for spring...the luxury of having two bikes, one of which I rode today.

Since the gas tank, rocker covers and carbs were already off, making access easy, I used about 1/2 can of Gumout and a roll of paper towels and thoroughly de-gunked the motor from top to bottom.

My daughter came out to the garage and I gave her a little "how motors work" demo. The light was just right so you could see into the intake housings and the pushrods. I had the plugs out, with paper towels stuck in their place to keep crap from getting in. I explained the four strokes and then gently prodded the kick starter. She got to see the pushrods moving, causing the valves to rock and then the best part--on compression the paper towel wads shot out of the spark plug holes like bullets from a gun. Pop, Pop!:p

· Registered
1,917 Posts
After a week of the Flu I got my `73 chainguard brazed back together in preparation for paint tomorrow.Also sandblasted the metal portion of the taillight assembly in prep. for paint.

It`s amazing how much damage a thrown chain can do to a sheet metal chainguard.
Better the chain guard than your leg, eh? As for me, I ordered a few parts: a pair of air filters, a pair of float needles, a pair of rocker box gaskets and a pair of rear axle nuts. Once they arrive it will be time to do some serious gettingreadyforspringtimework.

· Registered
1,917 Posts
Got anal with the Amals

It was cold and rainy, a perfect day to spend in the garage working on the bikes. First I installed the driver's back rest on the Thunderbird. After that I started in on Bonnie's carbs.

I had removed and dismantled them weeks ago. I poured the parts out onto my work bench and started polishing with Mother's. They always look so nice with a fresh polish. I did the bodies, bowls and tops, then all of the screw heads and flange nuts. I even polished the slides and inside the bores, being extra careful to remove every bit of polish. I've never done that before, and I expect a few naysays but I figure it can't hurt if I get every bit of polish out, and the smoother bores and slides should be an improvement. I'll know soon enough if it was a bad idea.

Once the polishing was done I sprayed Gumout on each part individually and scrubbed and dried them with paper towels. I was pleased at the appearance of the inner parts, as they were actually pretty clean to begin with. Gumout flowed easily from all orifices as I squrited it into each hole. No clogs at all. Of course, I do this every spring so there shouldn't be any buildup.

I assembled the main jets and screwed them into place, lubricating their theads with 3-in-1 oil first. Then I slid the new float needles into the floats, put the floats on their rods and installed them into the bowls. A nice coat of bearing grease on the doubled gaskets (the gaskets are way thinner than the ones that come on new 930's, so I use two) and then screwed the bowls to the bodies, first applying a drop of 3-in1 on each shiny screw.

A job well done if I say so.:cool:

· Registered
1,917 Posts
I gave the old girl a good Sunday morning's excercise today. It was cool and overcast at 9:00 this morning when I fired her up. The right cyllinder was slow to wake, but within a block all was well.

We putted to a curvy section and were disgusted to be behind so many cages at that time of day--don't people stay home or in church or something on Sunday mornings?

After wading through the cars we hit a nice open stretch and did a little 60 in the 35 zone for a while until the light. Then it was a right turn onto the highway, up a long steep hill listening to the perfect roar of a 650 twin pulling hard against gravity.

Back in town, slow down with plenty of engine braking--what a sound. Almost home, but can't quit yet. Keep on going. Over the tracks, take a hard right and hit the gas. No clutch, just shift into 3rd, 4th, 5th...so smooth and natural. Here comes the roundabout. Downshift to 3rd, no brakes, swoosh through and up through the gears. 55 in the 35 zone, curves and no traffic. Down the hill, over the tracks to the stop sign. Turn out onto the busy street and keep just ahead of the cars. Every red light is an opportunity to hit the gas and feel/hear that sensation.

Roar down my street to my driveway, ease it to her parking spot and put the stand down. Leave her running until the helmet and gloves are stashed so I can hear that sound with my naked ears. Hands are frozen, as is the smile on my face.

· Registered
1,917 Posts
Great video, RV. I took my bike out for a run today, and it was a little cold but the sun was shining and it was great. Actually, I took both bikes out--I rode the Bonnie first, and then took the TBird out for a spin. Great fun despite the cold.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts