Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
1,000 Posts
Spray painted bottom fork yoke and front brake caliper.

Cleaned up handlebar switches and polished up a few other bits and bobs.

Going to take the top yoke for shot blasting and powder coating, then will put the front all back together.

I just love tinkering with the old girl while listening to the radio - it's sooooooo relaxing.

· Registered
1,000 Posts
Took the dust cover off and just looked at her for a few minutes.

Off to London on business tonight for the rest of the week.

When I get back, new studs for the sump plate should have arrived. Once fitted, I'm going riding!!!!!

· Registered
1,000 Posts
Yesterday, I replaced the studs and nuts securing my oil sump plate. I had the plate on and off a few times while I was flushing the system (it has a the paper filter conversion) and it was fine. Murphy's Law prevailed when I filled her up with amber nectar and the replaced the plate for the final time, it leaked slightly. At least one of the studs was showing signs of stripped threads. All's well now.

Today, I think I got to the bottom of a sticking carburettor float problem, thanks to help and suggestions from fellow forum members. The plastic moulding of the float around the pivot area was rough.

If the rain stays off tomorrow, I'll take her for a rest run.

· Registered
1,000 Posts
Had to deliver something small to a place nearby, so I thought...I'll take the Bonnie!

A guy almost knocked me off the bike at a set of lights as he squeezed up the inside lane to admire her!

· Registered
1,000 Posts
Bonnie and I went to a classic car and bike event.

FORTUNATELY - It was a great day out and weather was reasonable
UNFORTUNATELY - I ran out of fuel on the way home
FORTUNATELY - It was only a few yards from a petrol station
UNFORTUNATELY - It's the first time I've filled the tank to the top and the petcocks have both started to leak!
FORTUNATELY - I managed to decant the fuel from the tank into another container and have ordered up new taps and seals etc.

All's well that ends well.

· Registered
1,000 Posts
Got the head refurbished recently, so finished re-building the top of the engine with new bolts and polished rocker boxes. Also fitted new peashooter silencers.

Those O ring seals on the rocker spindles are the work of the devil!

Started first kick. :)

Got a timing light gun from Santa, so that's the next job, followed by carb settings.

· Registered
1,000 Posts
Thanks DaveDone.

I bought new cylinder studs.

Bike came with those holes in the fins. Hadn't noticed they were unique. Another Triumph mystery.

That "button" appears to be part of the casting. Don't know if it has a purpose.

:)

· Registered
1,000 Posts
I changed out the original side covers on my '77 T140V for retro ones and fitted pancake filters. It can all be easily reverted back if required.

I bought it with the chromed back panels, which were a bit pitted and the plastic covers took a LOT of fettling to look good.

The left hand retro fibre glass replacement needed a little trimming to fit around the seat hinge and chain guard. I got them painted black and laquered when the tank was done.

BEFORE....

AFTER...

CLOSE UP....

· Registered
1,000 Posts
Went to a classic car and bike event 26 miles out of town yesterday on my '76 T140V. Ran sweet as a nut all the way there and received lots of positive comments as she stood on display for the afternoon.

Time to go home....started first kick and off I went. A mile or so later....lost all power and coasted into a filling station. Would not start again. Plugs bone dry, so suspected fuel starvation. Spark OK and both ticklers producing plenty of fuel and tank cap breather OK. Eventually called out AA breakdown man to have the bike transported home. He turned up within 30 minutes...checked for a spark..asked me to kick her over and guess what? Yep - started right up. He followed me all the way home to make sure everthing was OK. Now that's what I call service!

Not sure what the problem was. Can't see it being a blocked jet, otherwise she would just have run rough.:confused:

· Registered
1,000 Posts
Fitted a shiny new chrome yolk top bolt. Been staring at the original scratched and slightly chewed up one every time I'm out in her and kept thinking, "must get a new one of those".

:)

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

· Registered
1,000 Posts
Had my 2002 MGF sports car and 1977 T140V tucked up for the winter in my father in law's garage for a few months now, so went down there this morning to fire them up.

MGF's battery was as flat as a pancake.

Bonnie burst into life on second kick. That's my girl!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts