Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 361 Posts

· Registered
2,775 Posts
classic plates

I mounted my new license tags; they expire in 2016 and cost me $133. Then I drank a Spaten Octoberfest, which cost me $1.25. It's a white-out blizzard here. It's a good day do break out the luge and scream all the way down to the mailbox. I gotta have my speed rush. I spent $73 without leaving my house. The machinist called and my 650 crank is done 30 under, the last grind on that one. Bob

· Registered
2,775 Posts
Ton up

It was the warmest day since November today, 66F, so time to ride them and get them ready for another season. The Trident was the first to go. It was the usual 40-mile shake down cruise to my favorite biker bar. I took county roads to the Windjammer at the reservoir south of mine. There was only a bit of slower traffic (all Harleys) and I ran it on the howl up,down and around the route there. Dang it sounded good. The usual beer and red chile fixed my low energy problem. The bike ran great through the switchbacks and sweepers and did the first ton of the year. 7500rpm in 4th is exactly a ton with the 20 tooth sprocket, but this time I rolled on in 5th and was pleased at how quickly the speed climbed. The 2nd time up, it cut out a bit right at 7500 rpm, 100mph, going uphill, but I only had one fuel tap open--oops. It is a tradition to do the ton before all oil changes, and the T150 got a fresh batch of Valvoline 20/50 motorcycle oil and a filter. The TR6 was next and the whole area knew it when "old reliable" fired up on the 2nd kick. The Dunstall megaphones speak in a very clear voice. I ran out of daylight after replacing a red handled petcock with a traditional style one. I was disappointed that the red petcock failed after many years/miles. The TR7 gets a new Amal this year and if it's not here tomorrow we ride anyway. Everything else has Mikuni's, but the TR7 is tuned for an Amal Mk 1 and that SOB runs! I just need one more layer of confidence with the new Amal 932. I went one size bigger after consulting with Burlen and we agreed that the cam and big-bore needed a little more carb.
Spring is almost here. Our vintage motorcycle club has planned twice-monthly rides for the entire summer. If you are going to be in the central Rockies this summer, you are welcome to ride with us. I have decided most of the routes, including several 200-mile rides, and most of the meeting spots, but I am still considering on a few details. Check with Phantom Canyon Chapter AMCA. I'll have specific dates posted after I get back from Florida, in 2-3 weeks.. What's your favorite biker bar? Bob

· Registered
2,775 Posts
The ton must be done

I started doing the ton with the original 72 TR6 as an indicator as to how it was running. At oil change time, I would do lots of other routine maintenance: chains, air cleaners, torque bolts, check plugs, tire air pressure, spoke tuning, and a general overview. The 72 TR6 has gotten me 107,000 miles and 41 states and counting. It has had dozens of oil changes and I have done the ton before every single one of them. I ran out of time to do it today, but at 100mph, I expect no misses, wobbles, or sour-note sounds. Until an engine blows, I staying with the system; so far--so good. Bob

· Registered
2,775 Posts
750 650 500

There's as much difference in power between the 750/triple and my 650 as there is between the 650 and a 500, especially at the top end. The 650 takes a good piece of road to do the ton and all of the longest straight stretch of road near here. The Trident has a different top end and the rpm's climb quickly above 6k. The 650 takes minutes to get that last 10mph, chin on the tank. I still haven't run the 750/3 and 750/2 to compare, but the twin is much lighter and has way more torque and a narrower profile. I still suspect that howl beats roar. The mystery will be solved soon. Bob

· Registered
2,775 Posts
Tri-spark

I have tri-spark on my Trident and am very happy with it. I inquired about the rev-limiter model for my TR7, but those are made for racing only. I suppose that would include an advance curve appropriate for racing but not street riding. I think Tri-spark is on the leading edge of technology, but all the others now have the idle-calming feature too. Bob

· Registered
2,775 Posts
idle

How do you describe the idle-calming feature,I`ve read that users report a better idle with this system?
I think it's a marketing thing. Back when points were the only option, it was a matter of pride to get the idle as low as possible, believing that this was a sign of a well-tuned engine. If you could idle slower than a loping Harley, you could gloat. The only thing the EI knows is your engine speed and the only thing it can vary is the advance and possibly duration of the spark. I can't think of how the duration or strength of the spark would vary, once the field inside the coil collapses, it sparks. All of this happens downstream from the ignition box. In a points system it either makes contact or not assuming your condensers work. If it works, it's a wonderful thing. My newest EI is 4 years old. I'm curious too. I haven't varied the timing after strobing at high RPM and don't remember the effects of timing on idle speed. It's been set-it-and-forget-it and I forgot. Bob

· Registered
2,775 Posts
Triton

Got myself a '62 Slimline Featherbed rolling chassis so trying to decide 'What Motor' This one will be a Cafe Racer for sure......
Unit Triumph? Norton Atlas? Big Beezer A65? A10??
Hope i don't die before i get the chance to kill myself on it!
Tritons command a high price lately. The weight and vibration of the Atlas motor would be a negative factor. I expect the motor that is closest to running condition would be a plus. Old school choppers seem to be the most common source for running motors. For a true cafe racer, the unit Triumph would be fastest and therefore the best. Bob

· Registered
2,775 Posts
72 5-speed

I took my 72 TR6 5-speed down to Boulder to the Shelby American car museum. There were lots of AC Bristols, Cobras, Shelby Mustangs, a Shelby Daytona, Ferraris, Ford GT 40 s, etc. The guy who runs the place has a TSS with 22 miles on it in addition to a couple of mid-70's Triumphs. I had a plug wire come loose at the coil as I was leaving. Luckily nobody heard it run like crap. I popped the seat open and DUH, that problem was obvious. I guess it's time for new plug wires, or at least boots. David: I had a biyoch of a time indexing my leaf-spring 5-speed. It took 5 tries back in 2005 before I discovered this forum. I occasionally miss a 3-2 downshift, but neutral is easy to find. Anyhow, once indexed properly, they work well. I did NOT get it indexed using the method in the shop manual (1st 4 tries). If I ride it regularly, I seldom miss a shift. Man, I love the sound of those Emgo Dunstall shorty megaphones. Bob

· Registered
2,775 Posts
After riding the Trident around the neighborhood, I noticed oil on the fins on the left side. I was ready to do the reed valve mod and pulled on the crankcase vent hose. It was completely loose. It's smaller than a Bonne (no 2 pistons falling together) and hard plastic. 5 seconds with the heat gun and it's on. I opened the door to the refrigerator and opened some calming fluid. Bob

· Registered
2,775 Posts
Manifold leak

I have a 70 TR6R and I'm having the same problem. Where exactly did you spray the WD40? What did that do to correct the problem. And what rubber did you change? I just ordered a brand new Amal Concentric because I couldn't find the solution either. Maybe you've got it!
The new Amal will come with a "thin" manifold O-ring. Get a #219 (viton is better) or 70-9711 1 5/16x1/8x 1 9/16. The OD is 1 5/16 + 2x1/8. A small dab of grease holds it in place when mounting. Spray ether, carb cleaner or WD40 between the carb and head and listen for an increase in rpm. WD-40 is less dangerous. Don't spray for 10 seconds, just a series of spritzes in various spots at the carb/manifold and manifold/head joints. The #219 O-ring will leave a gap between the carb and manifold giving good heat isolation and not warping the mounting flange. Overtightening the mounting nuts will cause the throttle slide to stick. New "cup" washers under the mounting nuts will help keep from overtightening. Shouldered carb mounting studs keep you from really badly overtightening. Bob

· Registered
2,775 Posts
Mothers day Brit bike ride

I rode my '72 TR6 up the Poudre canyon with my buddy Ed and his '62 Norton Atlas. 56 miles uphill, 5000+ ft elevation gain. The bikes ran great and we both got 63 mpg (56 miles back downhill doesn't use much gas). The pavement was poor and traffic was heavier in the lower canyon. Once we got past Rustic, we leaned the bikes over a little harder and had enjoyed a bugless and vigorous ride up through a canyon of snow. The pavement was a little treacherous with potholes and frost heaves, but we've got good local knowledge and can read the bad sections well. The roads were dry and there wasn't any sand on the surface except the switchbacks going over Rist on the way back. The rear tire stepped out a few times, but that was planned. Most of the traffic pulled over and let us by. Thank you courteous drivers! This last winter hung on forever. It was a very good day for a ride. Bob

Attachments

· Registered
2,775 Posts
Corbin gunfighter

Thanks for the pics Bob,Is that Corbin seat as comfortable as it looks?
Yes, the Corbin gunfighter seat is very comfortable. It's been on the bike since '05. Others think they are too firm. I think it's fine. The only improvement would be if the "bum stop" was storage instead of solid foam. Its best features are the ease of shifting from side-to-side in the twisties, lowering the seat height a little bit, and I like the look. My '72 is a low seat frame. Bob

· Registered
2,775 Posts
carb needle

It was nice enough to work outside the shop, finally! I raised the needle one notch on the new Amal fitted to my 73 TR7. I have a slight problem with knocking under load at 1/2 throttle. I retarded the spark 2 degrees and prefer to go no further. The bike runs like a gazelle with its tail on fire. My supervisor didn't like the smell of gas and moved. Bob
Update: The engine 8-stroked badly with the jet needle on the bottom slot (raised), so I put it back in the middle position.

· Registered
2,775 Posts
Delivery truck came today

I installed new isolastic mounts and rubber washers for the handlebars on my 72 TR6. I hope this will keep my right hand from going numb. I mounted new MAC shorty megaphones on my 73 TR7 and changed the needle jet to a 107. At exactly 1/2 throttle, I was getting a bit of pre-ignition knock (ping, pink,oh sh-t) since I installed the new Amal 932. On the mufflers (silencers) the PO installed, I had to stack adapters and still had a loose fit with the downpipes. I got some 3M fire barrier sealant from Home Depot to seal my drive-side push-in pipe.. It is intended to stop fire from penetrating through walls for 3 hours and bonds to metal. I plan on applying a small bead on one pipe only, near the outer surface. I don't want to make it difficult to remove.
Just as I was about to do a road-test, a cold rain started. I took the hint and rolled back into the shop. There is 23 feet of snow on Trail Ridge road 40 miles from my house. Horsetooth Rock across the road was white with snow this morning.
The new mufflers ROAR as intended. Bob

1 - 20 of 361 Posts