Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

· Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As a Hinkley triple owner (don't hate me guys!) I sometimes also read the threads on that section of the Triumph Rat forum and they have a long running thread "what I did to my classic triple today" or something very similar. Posters put up a few lines about what they did with their 'bikes that day..... polished it, rode it, rebuilt it, crashed it, etc etc you get the idea, anything goes really.

Anyway, thought it might be worth starting a similar thread here as I'm selling the "modern" 'bike and concentrating on my classics.
I'll start it off....

Today I got back my speedo which I'd sent to the UK for repair. It was working but had a lot of needle "flutter". Looks like new (still) and can't wait to try it out....

OK who's next?

Richard

· Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Rath, how much is a pint of the black stuff in Ireland these days ? its 7.50 euros a pint here,it is cheaper to drink pints of red wine!!! oh,today I worked on the old BSA side panels which will be replacing the airbox on me Tiger,
Bill.
Bill, depending where you buy it about £3.00 ish here in N.Ireland and around €4.50-€5.00 in ROI.... not as bad as "la belle France!"

Of course we keep all the best Guinness for ourselves ;) only joking!

Might have one tonight, with a bag of Tayto Cheese 'n Onion crisps....

Cheers, Richard

· Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
Today must be the first in almost 2 months that it has been above freezing. We've had the coldest winter on record. The 'bikes are dripping with condensation in the garage as the warmer air hits cold metal...not good!
I'm going to try to wipe the water off to keep my Tiger's chrome and alloy shining..

· Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Got my Tiger out of a long cold hibernation today. I had drained the tank and float bowl so maybe the fresh petrol helped but it started 2nd kick which was nice! Too cold to put the gear and helmet on and anyway it's not road taxed so I just had a short scoot up and down the road outside the house. The refurbished speedo is nice and steady now at least up to the 35mph I got up to so that's pleasing also.
Parked it in the garage and listened to it going "rump-a-bump-a" on the side stand and remembered why it's my favourite 'bike.
Next job is to fit a hydraulic brake light switch on the front brake hose...one ordered along with some extra plumbing to fit it from TMS yesterday. It will be good to do away with the awful mechanical switch inside the right hand switch housing ....does anyone still have one of those fitted that actually works??
Enjoying everyone else's wee stories here.

· Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
I finally got around to fitting a hydraulic switch in the brake line for the front brake to replace the pesky mechanical switch inside the right hand handlebar housing which didn't work most of the time despite repeated bodgery. It was really simple and I'm scratching my head wondering why I didn't do this sooner. Very unobtrusive, the inline switch sits well hidden, behind the headlamp....another wee problem solved

:Mexican wave

· Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
I agree that Koni would be better ,but for the fact that Koni no longer makes bike shocks.

When I went looking for them some months back I learned that they were not making twin shocks any more,what a dissapointment.
Koni production continues under the name "IKON" in Australia. I recently bought a pair for my Guzzi SP (Identical to the old Koni "dial a ride" shocks). Same excellent quality, not cheap, but worth it.

· Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
Got my Tiger through the "MOT" test today...roadworthy for another year.... will buy road tax tomorrow.
Weather spring-like at last..18deg C today. Planning to meet up with two Norton Commando mounted mates on Saturday for the first "run" of the year. Felt great to be on the Triumph again this evening going to the test centre....

· Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #304 · (Edited)
May has started the way that April ended off...gloriously sunny and warm!! My friend and I went out for a wee spin down to the coast today...took a few pics:

Then back up into the hills...these roads are just about perfect for the Tiger and the Commando

A perfect day out!

· Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #314 ·
I have a 70 TR6R and I'm having the same problem. Where exactly did you spray the WD40? What did that do to correct the problem. And what rubber did you change? I just ordered a brand new Amal Concentric because I couldn't find the solution either. Maybe you've got it!
Tommy, I think it's the rubber "O" ring seal between the carb flange and the inlet manifold. If you don't have a decent seal in this area the engine will suck air in there making your mixture way too weak, hence the need to run choke all the time.
Check that your carb body flange is flat where it meets the manifold also. Over tightening can cause it to become "bowed" causing an air leak. It's possible to correct this by rubbing it flat on some fine grade wet and dry over a sheet of glass.

· Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #342 · (Edited)
Took the Tiger out for a short spin of about 30 miles tonight up and down the wee country roads to check all was well before heading to Scotland this weekend....running like a clock but noticed the indicators were flashing strangely...by the time I got home they were only flashing very briefly. The culprit proved to be the flasher unit...( a cheap Chinese pattern item from the local auto store). I had the original Lucas one which was "lazy" and tried it out and it was working same as before.
Ironically the flasher unit is the only piece of electrical equipment on this 'bike that's not original (apart from bulbs of course). I'll get a new unit tomorrow. Can't wait for the weekend trip!

1 - 20 of 96 Posts