Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Premium Member
3,992 Posts
I took my newly rebuilt Bonneville for its first ride yesterday. The rear brake failed at the end of the driveway but I didn’t let that stop me from getting in a short ride. The bike ran great but the tranny seemed to shift a bit strange. Maybe I should have used heavier oil in the gearbox instead of the 20/50 I used?
Gear oil is usually 80/90 grade.
*Hypoid to cope with the crushing effect.

· Premium Member
3,992 Posts
This immediate last week-end, an absolute cracker weather wise, I put in 700km (435 miles) on an o/nite journey through SE QLD and Northern NSW. Possibly some of the best motorcycle touring you can get, it has scenery, fabulous mountain roads, picturesque farmlands.

Accompanied by a buddy on a C50 Boulevard for day one, we finally got together with others (more Boulevards and a Moto Guzzi), five of us in all on day two.

Here we are lined up at a favourite watering hole:

[/IMG]

I have to say, these OIF Triumphs can handle, and I just love them. After much work and some pain, this old tart is now just rock solid. I'd take her anywhere

Though I looked pained in the photo, I should have been all smiles. I just do not like having my photo taken. RR
Glad you got the `old tart` firmly on the road, Rod...good luck and riding! :)

· Premium Member
3,992 Posts
"A well tuned engine will not be on the sweet spot at all. A touch of extra advance timing and lean mixture will take you to this place."
That's exactly what I did. It's a Pazon ignition and I set it with the timing plug, then advanced it. I've done about 800 miles since then and it's a two kick bike at most.
I'm definitely not saying don't strobe it, I had a strobe light with me as well. I'm saying with the timing plug, the first time I locked down the Pazon plate it was in a good spot. I didn't have to do a lot of small incremental adjustments to get it right. Using a screw driver to find the notch in the cam for timing was not nearly as efficient. Now that I have that timing plug I would consider it a necessity for me to time correctly.
Using the flywheel notch and sighting the rotor mark through the stator hole is only approximate for static timing.
Its intended just to get the motor running.
It needs to be dynamically timed at the recommended rpm by strobe.
You cant guess it!
Well you can, but it could be a very expensive omission.
For the sake of removing 3 screws and 5 minutes time, is it worth the chance?

· Premium Member
3,992 Posts
Thread oversubscribed?

I only replied to this thread once, a long time ago near the beginning.
I wont ever again.
There is probably oodles of valuable information contained in this thread but who is inclined to trawl through 2,612 posts?
Rathlindri who started this, disappeared almost at the same time.

I think this thread has become an easy option for posting, rather than starting a new thread.

Your thoughts appreciated.

Dave (Caulky)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts