Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Bell Race Star Flex.
It is very light and does very well on a naked bike.
Best helmet i've ever used.

I loved my last arai with my D675 but it was not the best when i moved to the RS.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Shoei Neotec 2
very comfortable helmet and really quiet for a modular design but you definitely still require ear plugs. I've got the built in Sena intercom and one niggle I've got with it is actually down to where microphone is placed. The flexible boom sticks out the front of the helmet and when closing it's very easy to catch the mic on the chin curtain which moves the mic completely to the wrong position.
I was just pinching the chin curtain slightly with my fingers to keep it clear on closing however this has made the chin curtain loose and now it easily falls out. Bit of a design flaw in my opinion and I expected better for such a premium helmet. I'm kinda forced to just close the helmet and reposition mic as required now or take the chin curtain off sacrificing the noise level. However it's probably the most comfortable and best fitting helmet I've ever had so I'll put up with it I guess.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
I spent a good long time in a store trying on L and XL RPHA 70 ST and the Large seems to be the one for me (as is the size of all my helmets). Unfortunately they could not get the colour I wanted, in fact, it is not to be found in Canada and stock won't be renewed until fall of 2019! So I ordered the HJC RPHA 70 ST Vias in the Red White Silver online sourced through the US (a Canadian retailer shipping Canada Post to me though so no surprises). Will go well with my Gray 765 R and a little too well with my Red and White jacket...lol. It'll be a while before it gets here. Thanks for the feedback folks. I will probably be selling my Large Silver Shoei GT Air now.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,628 Posts
Hmmm...just watched Anthony from Revzilla review that, and it jumped right onto the short list for when I replace my GT Air. If you wouldn't mind giving us (me) some thoughts on it after you get it, that would be great.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Bell Race Star Flex.
It is very light and does very well on a naked bike.
Best helmet i've ever used.

I loved my last arai with my D675 but it was not the best when i moved to the RS.
Nice. That's what I am looking to pick up as well. I think for the money it's the most advanced tech safety street helmet on the market.

Do you experience any head buffeting?

I am using the powerbronze windscreen now and it seems to have moved the airflow right above my helmet.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Nice. That's what I am looking to pick up as well. I think for the money it's the most advanced tech safety street helmet on the market.

Do you experience any head buffeting?

I am using the powerbronze windscreen now and it seems to have moved the airflow right above my helmet.
I have the Race Star (Ace Cafe' version...also with the flex tech), and I'm not noticing any noticeable head buffeting. Of course, with the stock flyscreen (or even the small Triumph extension), there's going to be *some* buffeting at higher speeds...because, you know, physics....:)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have the Race Star (Ace Cafe' version...also with the flex tech), and I'm not noticing any noticeable head buffeting. Of course, with the stock flyscreen (or even the small Triumph extension), there's going to be *some* buffeting at higher speeds...because, you know, physics....:)
RF-1200 all day every day.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Scorpion has always fit my head shape, which I guess is long-ish, very well. When they announced that the R420 was engineered to fit more of an "American long" head shape than their previous models, I tried one, and it's very comfortable. A very wedgy look, not nostalgic at all, but I bought a plain white one and put vintage Martini Racing stripes and decals on it.

It's the first helmet I've had that doesn't have a tab toward the side of the face shield to flip it up. It has a little doober in the center of the shield to lift and lower it, and if you push it down hard enough it locks in place for a wind and rain seal. Supposed to be easy to raise and lower with either hand. I'm still getting used to it, but it's super comfy and vents very well. And FortNine seems to like it... so there's that.

Was surprised about the initial quality, however. I've bought Scorpion for years, and this was the first one I got that looked terrible. Obviously slipped through their QC, and looked like it hadn't been finish sanded before it was painted.

Scorpion HQ is a 30 minute ride from my house. Rather than sending pictures back and forth to the dealer where I bought it (not close, and shoulda opened the box before I left), I took it straight to them. They apologized profusely, and replaced it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well I am going off my experience on my 09 Street Triple R but close enough. Started off with an Icon helmet I got for doing my MSF class. I road with it for a year and upgraded to a Shoei RF 1100. It was a great helmet, quiet, didn't fog riding in cold weather, and great in a crash. I picked up a new RF1200 for the new bike.

I did wear sunglasses under the helmet and it was still comfortable to wear. The visors can be swapped out very easily if you needed to change them from a tinted one to clear. Just wanted to point that out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Another RF1200 wearer here. Love it. Bought myself the photo transition visor (yes, expensive) and it’s awesome. No glasses, no switching visors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A Shark Spartan Carbon...

Cannot recommend it highly enough. Last summer I binned it hard enough to burst the blood vessels in my eyes, snap my femur, force 2 metacarpals out the back of my left hand and crack 2 vertebrae. Didn't even have a headache afterwards.

Of course, that might have had something to do with the nitrous, ketamine, morphine and fentanyl that I was liberally dosed with but still... I bought another one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I went to lidpicker.com and paid the $15 or whatever it was for their fit recommendations. They send you some calipers to measure your melon then send you a detailed list of helmets that fit your head size and shape. They don't have all helmets-just the ones they sell, I think. It's a big list though.

I went with their recommendation, an Arai Signet X. I should have done this 4 helmets ago. The fit is perfect with no hotspots. Finally found a helmet that fits my long oval head.

Back to the OP question- I alternate between my Arai Signet X and my Arai XD-4. That one is nice because it has a peak I can use to shade my eyes from the sun on my early morning eastbound commute. I also have a Sena mounted in the XD-4 so I can listen to the radio while sitting in our horrible traffic.
How long did it take lidpicker to send the fitting kit?

·
Registered
53 Posts
How long did it take lidpicker to send the fitting kit?

It was last year so I can't recall. I don't remember it taking overly long though. I believe you can also just upload your own measurements and pay a few bucks for their report. You'd just have to rig up some sort of calipers to measure your head.

I'm really pleased with their recommended helmet. Every time I wear it I'm surprised by how comfortable it is.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts