Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey it's another new guy. Been a cruiser guy all my life, except for the XL 250 days. Then this BMW GT biker chick comes along and smokes me in the twisties everytime I ask her to dance. I ride her GT on and off the last year, demo alot of other "ST" and decide on an 08 Sprint ST that I pick up Saturday the 15th. Oh by the way the BMW chick says she wants to marry me. Go figure. What do I need to know.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Check her background and papers thoroughly. Take as many test rides as you can before committing. You might even consider an extended warranty (pre-nuptial) contract. :D

As for the 08 ST, check oil and tires once a week, do not over tighten the chain, and ride. If you are an old fart, you might decide on a bigger screen and higher bars. ;) But give it a while before going that direction.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, what kind of mileage at 75 to 85 can you expect? Thinking about Daytona bike week in Feb.

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. If you are anywhere near as happy with the biker chick as you will be with the Sprint you will be a very happy man.

I speak from experience as I own a Sprint and am married to a biker chick.

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
Thanks for the info, what kind of mileage at 75 to 85 can you expect? Thinking about Daytona bike week in Feb.

Congrats on the new Sprint! In stock form, my '08 Sprint got as high as 52 MPG doing around 75 MPH. I would have to fill up at around 210 miles.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So what about the chain? Been on a shaft drive so long kinda out of touch. Use to be, " should be able to slide it laterally on the back sprocket but not able to pull it away from the sprocket." Does that still work?

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
Welcome

Hi and welcome to the forum Dart:)

I ask all noobs to please read our forum sticky for new members.

A very quick search will bring up a gazillion chain threads all explaining in detail how to adjust. From memory bike off the stand 35mm slack in the centre at the tightest point of the chain.

These bikes prefer the loose side of the spec, do not over tighten or as Robo cop says THERE WILL BE TROUBLE.

How frequently you lube and adjust depends on where and how you ride and in what weather conditions.

I live in a sub tropical type climate and lube mine with Motorex Strong 622 wax type lube about every second ride or 600 - 800 kms and clean it with a rag and kerosine about every 1000 to 1500kms.

Enjoy the forum:)

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Dart,

If it is a new '08, try to behave and follow the 'break-in' procedure. Or, at least refrain from revving it too high for a couple of hundred miles.

The 500 mile service is for Triumph to make sure the bike was properly assembled, to change the oil filter, and drain the dino oil and put in the synthetic stuff. After that, if you change your own oil and filter, you don't need to see the Dealer again for 12,000 miles.

Tires should have 34 -36 Front and 38 - 40 in the rear. Unless they hauled the guy on the production line off and shot him, the headlights are probably aimed too low. Otherwise, as DaveM has posted, the bikes are pretty much bulletproof. Undersprung, for those of us in the 'Economy-size' category, but bulletproof.

The ST is a very quick bike, with great brakes. I'd recommend a refresher MSF course; the Experienced RiderCourse if you can find one. If nothing is available in your area, get "Total Control" by Lee Parks or "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough, or one of the other books on the subject.

Welcome to the site! Good luck with the bike and the BMW chick!

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pushrOd,

Thanks much for the info, looking forward to being able to keep up. Not familiar with the term dino oil? By the way me and the BMW chick are going to tie the knot, match maid in heaven.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
pushrOd,

Thanks much for the info, looking forward to being able to keep up. Not familiar with the term dino oil? By the way me and the BMW chick are going to tie the knot, match maid in heaven.:thumbsup:
Congrats on the upcoming wedding as well then! :D

Dino oil is non-synthetic oil. It's called that because in theory it's made from old dinosaurs, whereas synthetic is manufactured.

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
The 500 mile service is for Triumph to make sure the bike was properly assembled, to change the oil filter, and drain the dino oil and put in the synthetic stuff.
I thought the factory fill was synthetic? :confused:

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
Welcome to the forum Dart. cd - dino oil is standard. What kind of synth oil could you recommend?? :eek:

·
Registered
267 Posts
The first thing you need to do is set your computer to US gal. as it will be on Imperial Gal. from the factory, that will give you more accurate readings. I would tell you how, but I ride a 2001 and dont have the computer, but I did read it here somewhere. As to the mileage...it seems to vary a bit. Most folks here seem to get low to mid 40's when computed by hand on the new bikes.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Going to pick up the bike today, will have the the dealer help me with the US vs Imperial change. Great info thanks

·
Registered
267 Posts
Going to pick up the bike today, will have the the dealer help me with the US vs Imperial change. Great info thanks
Happy to assist! You might want to search it up here before you leave, as I recall some mentioned that some dealerships didn't know about it.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I thought the factory fill was synthetic? :confused:
The "break-in" oil fill from the factory is supposedly from a hole in the ground. That is changed out to synthetic at the 500 mile service.

Now, is that because the engine won't break in with synthetic in it, or is it because it doesn't make a lot of sense to put the more expensive type in an engine for only 500 miles?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts