Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Months ago it seemed like a 675 Tiger Cub was a sure thing, but its all gone quiet. Any body have any rumours about it?
:confused:

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've not heard or read any more about it. I keep my fingers crossed that Triumph will do the right thing and reintroduce a true dual sport before my '03 Tiger dies....

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Months ago it seemed like a 675 Tiger Cub was a sure thing, but its all gone quiet. Any body have any rumours about it?
Well, that's the problem with rumors. People start to convince themselves that tentative things are sure things, and that things in early stages of development must be Just Around the Corner.

Don't look to see anything official until next summer. Even then, there may not be product in dealers' showrooms for a full year... maybe more.

Ask any Street Triple owner how hard it is to know when to expect a new non-Daytona 675cc model from Triumph! :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
can they do it right?

IF they do, will it have a wide ratio box? It can't be that hard to have a different set of gears cut. That, and/or the lack of a 6th, is a drawback on the Scrambler.

BMW and others know how to put a wide ratio box in a DS.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think you are absolutely right! Plus, I don't think the 675 would provide the wonderful low-end torque that makes the 955 so nice in the dirt.....

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
The engine torque wouldn't be comparable, of course, but I think that's the point behind fugitive's concern about the gearbox. Appropriate gearing can transform crankshaft horsepower into rear axle torque. It's not a trivial task squeezing wide ratio gearing into that box, though, and still having it work out at the most useful ratio intervals.

That could be one reason for the long development time. Or, they may be at full production capacity for that engine right now. Or, given the economy, they may consider this a poor time to introduce a new model... or any combination of the above.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I really wish they'd bring out a 675 "tiger cub".

So long as it was tall and lightweight it would make a fun bike for us taller guys. Something along the lines of a Versys or F800 maybe. I'd definately buy one.

Triumph's existing 675 models are so small they feel like childrens fairground rides.

C'mon, not everyone is built like Frankie Dettori ! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Latest Tiger Cub leak

Was at the Motorcycle exhibition in Birmingham England this week. Had a very interesting conversation with someone who should know. It looks like the Tiger Cub will be a 2010 model, possibly taking orders late 2009. Guy wouldn't be more specific, but tantalisingly suggested that it will not be a 675 but somewhat nearer to a 800. For styling he didn't deny (know what I mean ?) that it might be along the lines of the BMW 800. He wouldn't let on any more, except to say it's in late development and may be seen soon testing on the roads around Hinckley. That's close to home for me, so I'm keeping a keen lookout.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Outstanding news! I hope your contact is dead on about this. Would love to see a Triumph take on the BMW F800GS.....

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
but tantalisingly suggested that it will not be a 675 but somewhat nearer to a 800.
Now, for some time I've been thinking that the best model for making a PROPER dual sport adventure tourer would be the Scrambler. Simple, torquey, air cooled twin. Because, when you examine the 675 engine, it's very tall from sump to rockers and it would be difficult to get the ground clearance necessary for a bit of off road.

·
Registered
63 Posts
There's a pretty active discussion over on the ADV Rider site about the Scrambler. Looks like some folks have indeed made an adventure tourer out of it....

·
Registered
149 Posts
at the Dallas Cycle World show - Triumph didn't have a booth, but RPM Cycles of Dallas did. I made it a point to find them and reiterate the call for a 675 Tiger - a real near-dual-sport, wire wheels, etc. perhaps with the slowdown these projects will take longer getting out, but we can hope...

papy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts