Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of the Thunderbird and trading in the speedmaster finally. Curious to see if Thunderbird is appropriate for my kind of riding. Mostly city driving and secondary back roads. Generally little to no highways. What gears are you using for city driving and back roads?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Not too sure how to answer that one...it all depends on how you're wanting "feel" the bike. The torque band is around the 2500rpm range...I also have a 05 speedmaster, and the difference is pretty amazing as far as torque, power, etc. Not quite as easy to "throw around" as the speedmaster, but the Bird does well in the city as well as the highways. We frequently do country rides, and both bikes are a blast...in any situation.

Good luck on your purchase!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I hadn't rode a bike in 20 years when I bought my storm, and in like 30 mins it felt natural. It's a great bike that fits all levels of bike riding experience IMO.

Don't let the size and weight scare you, she is pretty nimble and handles very well.

Just my 2-cents :D

·
Registered
684 Posts
You're question was a bit vague, but I will attempt to answer. You won't need 6th gear unless you are cruising at 55 mph or above. So "in town" riding you will basically be using first through fifth.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
I hadn't rode a bike in 20 years when I bought my storm, and in like 30 mins it felt natural. It's a great bike that fits all levels of bike riding experience IMO.

Don't let the size and weight scare you, she is pretty nimble and handles very well.

Just my 2-cents :D
Have not had a bike since 1975, bought an America three years ago, hardly rode it, was on 2,500 miles when I bought it traded it in after 2 years just over 3,000 miles.

Dropped in local Triumph dealer and borrowed a Thunderbird 1600, did about 5 miles, went back to dealer and traded in the America.

The Thunderbird does feel heavier, yet seemed a lot easier to ride than the America.

Around town I guess I use 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear.

Country roads. I find I'm in 4th and 5th, use engine braking approaching the corners and accelerate out, it pulls well.

I fitted gear indicator to remind me what gear I am in, which for me I find useful.

Now done about 1200 miles, live in the town and have to filter through the traffic to get out past the ring road into the country, it feels a bit heavy in town, but the balance seems better than the America.

The America felt odd, but the Thunderbird feels like its on rails.

Edited for typo.

·
Banned
530 Posts
When the lights are green im in 5th arround town because the bike is comfortable at 60mph lol in 5th or 4th . Failing that in reality 4th ,5th when cruiseing at 30 odd maybe 3rd , or 2nd if i need to control and overtake fast. Then again I might be in 1st if Im slow controling and filtering.

If Im on the back roads im in 5th or maybe 4th and sometimes 6th unless I am negotiating a hard corner where I might be in 2nd or more likely 3rd if I can power out hard with revs at 2700 goign from 3 (or 2nd) to 4th then 5th then 6th when the road straightens out. If I see a car Ill gear down to 4th to get the revs to 2700 if I have the room to get past but that depends on how fast I have to get past and the room I have because I might stay in 6th.

I really wish I knew what the real question is?

Ill try answer with . The Tbird handles town and country roads with ease and is perfect all round bike for all things touring day outs and commuting. Want a one bike does all well then the TBird is your bike.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess my real question was does it make sense fo rme to get TBird if I am mostly never going ot get past 2nd or 3rd gear since I do alot of city driving and country roads.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sounds like your all business with your riding, and by that I mean you only ride to get from point A to point B. From that perspective only it may not.

I use mine for daily driving as well some city and some highway, but I find myself constantly taking the longer more scenic routes, for one reason and one reason only...it's freak'n fun as hell to ride.

I have put 1700 miles on my bike in one month, 1000 of those miles I just made up reasons to drive my bike. If your that type of rider I would buy it in a heart beat.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Thinking of the Thunderbird and trading in the speedmaster finally. Curious to see if Thunderbird is appropriate for my kind of riding. Mostly city driving and secondary back roads. Generally little to no highways. What gears are you using for city driving and back roads?
What percentage between commuting or riding for pleasure?

I can see that using a Thunderbird just for commuting might not give you the chance of stress free leisurely riding.

All my riding is for leisure, no daily commuting, I choose where I go when I go out for a ride. Just catch traffic in the evenings when going for a ride after work.

Luckily I live within a couple of miles of open countryside. I couldn't live in a big city like London, too much traffic, to much stress, everyone in a hurry to get to the next set of traffic lights.

How far are you from the country roads? As all ready posted, many of us find an excuse to go for a ride.

Are you able to have one for a test drive, long enough to take it out on the quieter country roads?

For some, riding a Thunderbird is addictive, any excuse to take it out.

·
Banned
530 Posts
Luckily I live within a couple of miles of open countryside. I couldn't live in a big city like London, too much traffic, to much stress, everyone in a hurry to get to the next set of traffic lights.

If you live in london u cant get anything other than a scooter or a 125 everything else is pointless. Hence why I would never live in London or indeed any city , ever , ever ,ever.

·
Registered
156 Posts
If you live in london u cant get anything other than a scooter or a 125 everything else is pointless. Hence why I would never live in London or indeed any city , ever , ever ,ever.
You trying to claim my Tbird is pointless :mad:

Ok, OK I admit it's not the best choice for a commuting bike. But...well....er... it's still a lot better than the Tube :D. Best excuse I can come up with, just couldn't resist buying one.

·
Banned
530 Posts
Lol , mate I did a commute from Chelmsford to the Liverpool street at 6am in the morning and then home at 5pm down whitechaple road and then stratford . Never again , ever . The whole journey was full of ***** on bikes, scooters and idiots driving busses stopping me in jams of irate irational cage drivers. I was totaly knackered .

Bet you use your Z for comuting dont you ? Come on you cant pretend to me you use your beautiful TBird . hehehe

·
Registered
156 Posts
No the Z's in Newcastle awaiting a major overhaul. Anyway a hardtailed raked extended forks chop is probably an even worse commuting bike given the state of the roads around here. The turning arc on the chop is less than the Tbird.

So yep the Tbird commutes.

I'm looking at a place outside the M25 which comes with a garage so I might eventually be able to get some work done on the z.

·
Registered
131 Posts
cocoselect - you're in Bristol, CT, not NYC. You're only about 10min from some great roads N and S along the NY border. Shoot a bit north of you and you got great reasons to visit the mountains. My girlfriend's from New Britain, so I know your area. Couple hectic city spots, but nothing more than what I have in the Albany, NY area. I think I've taken my truck to work ONCE in 3 weeks, the rest...on my STORM! Like others have posted, gives you a reason to take the long way home, or just get out and ride on the weekend. Bunch of other T'birders in New England and NY...you won't regret it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just traded my America in on a beautiful Cranberry Red / Black Thunderbird and I have to tell you the "bird" is sensational. The America was terrific to ride but the Thunderbird seems easier and more responsive in terms of handling. Early days yet but I am very impressed!

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
I just traded my America in on a beautiful Cranberry Red / Black Thunderbird and I have to tell you the "bird" is sensational. The America was terrific to ride but the Thunderbird seems easier and more responsive in terms of handling. Early days yet but I am very impressed!

Absolutely correct - been there, done it.

More poke, better balance, smoother ride.

Only complaint, after about 100 miles, sore arse. That's with the long haul seat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Went in last year to have a test ride of 1600 Thunderbird, it was raining so didn't get to take it for a ride, put a deposit on it anyway, picked it up a few days later and by the time I had ridden it from the service department to the front of the building I felt at home on it a magic bike.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts