Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night was the first night I needed to use a full beam on my 06 Sprint ST. Can anyone explain why Triumph bothered with a full beam option? It does f**k all, well...except join the right a left dipped beams in the middle. It added no distance to the lighting, which is pretty minimal.

I know, I know - plenty of threads on the issue which I'll look out.

Can anyone just explain what's involved in changing the alignment of the bulb housing - how's this done? Is it a panels off job?

Safe biking is about being able to stop in the space that you can see - but how fast is Triumph expecting riders to go at night - 30mph?

I'm whingeing and it in no way changes my love for the bike!

·
Registered
720 Posts
I too am less than thrilled with the lighting on my '06. The main beam does cast a far, if not too bright, beam over a fairly long distance but only if one is riding on a straight and level surface. Most of the dipped beam illumination is diffused
to the sides. At night I only ride expressways as a result. On the twisties I feel as though I'm flying blind.

[ This message was edited by: omaz on 2006-11-15 14:54 ]

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
I got the high beam raised at my first service - which gave better coverage at night.

There is a fundamental problem with the projector beam lights that are used - they seem to have a fairly narrow beam which means the lights are OK on a straight road but disappear into the road or up in to the sky when cornering.

The lights are very effective during the day - you cant miss them! - but I think it is a case of form over function.

Grant.

ps there is a bit in the handbook about adjusting the headlights.I am at work at the moment so cant refer to it.

[ This message was edited by: iceman on 2006-11-15 15:01 ]

·
Registered
720 Posts
I agree Grant. Form over function indeed. I'm considering the purchase of driving lights that bolt on to the brake calipers. Theywould eliminate the dark areas immediately in front of the bike and also should project out farther as well.

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
I agree with the statements on the lighting not being all that great and the first time I rode twisties at night it scared the piss out of me until I realized when you turn you can't see the road. That took one corner by the way.

One thing I find interesting is when I am riding with out my bright light on at night I get brights flashed at me on a regular basis but if I happen to leave the bright light on, which I have done on a few occasions because I felt it was just too unsafe to turn it off, no one has ever flashed their brights at me. Last night I actually turned my bright light off and was flashed repeatedly until I turned the bright on and then back off. Has anyone else had a similar experience or am I just imagining this.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Are you guys kidding!!??

I had two 2001 Sprints and a 2001 Daytona, all of which absolutely sucked for lights. I commute every day on this thing one way in the dark. It was like a whole new perspective when I got my '05. It was amazingly better.

Your expectations are way to high.

Buy a Goldwing or drive a car!!!!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
LoVel, I too find the same thing to be true. I can ride w/ my high beams on and nobody ever flashes me, in fact this is how I ride at night most of the time. I think that the lights bounce up and down too much and w/ just the low beams, people think you are flashing them. I have had people pull over during the day when I am behind them, and give me a puzzled look when I go around. I think it is because of the bouncing effect making it look like the lights are flashing.

I think the lights are barely adequate also. They are OK in a straight line but not much good around corners. I might try adjusting them up to see if that helps.

·
Registered
282 Posts
UPGRADE

I'll probably do three bixenon (high and low beam) projectors.. From a car that had HID from the factory..

Three with high and low so that the center light can fill in the center leaving the sides to be pointed outward. So I will always have a wide bright beam high or low.. The only difference is how high above the ground is lit between high and low..

·
Registered
924 Posts
What the hell is a full beam???? Why not mount bars like the 4x4's do only above the back seat with four or five multi-million candle power spots :hammer: In most states in the USA, Bambi's relatives are bad enough in broad frickin' daylight. If you need all that light is to go fast at night, all you will gain is a great ID on the deer that kills you.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I am talking about this..

HID projectors..

CBR in progress pic..

Done

Gixxer retrofit..

Gixxer

Look at the light output pictures of the garage door lit up!

I am just putting different projectors in the stock locations..

Its kind of advanced so I dont recomend this part of what I am doing to others.. I am also working on motorized cutoff sheilds so that the light cutoff point tilts and levels itself with lean angle.. Small RC aircraft servos and a RC helli HH gyro seem to do what I need them to do in my tests so I will use those parts. I am not moving the whole projector but just tilting the block off plate that makes it a low beam.. For highs a seperate simple solenoid will drop them out of the light beam completely and pop it back into place when the switch is put back to the low beam position..

For beam width check this out... There are many different swapable projectors and tweaks.. I picked this to show because of the good photos of the beam coverage...

S2000 honda projectors and TSX projectors..

[ This message was edited by: MNSpintST on 2006-11-15 22:51 ]

·
Registered
924 Posts

Is that a "full beam"???

[ This message was edited by: rodneybrown on 2006-11-16 09:00 ]

·
Registered
282 Posts

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
triumphite, You mean a Goldwing is not a car?

I do agree the lights are adequate in a straight line but because of the dense deer population in my area I may be going a wee bit slower than I would really want to.

I would not want a deer for a hood ornament when I am forced to drive my truck and I am pretty sure it would really suck to have one for a fairing.

·
Registered
71 Posts
P*ssy :razz: If you're scared of the dark get mummy to walk in front of you with a flashlight :jest: You'll be telling us you're frightened of dying next. You're British man get out there and wind it on. Your headlights should be pointing skyward anyway :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good Stuff.

[ This message was edited by: GrahamG on 2006-11-16 12:32 ]

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
That was pretty crappy Marco. There is no reason to be an ass. If any of us were that afraid of dying we sure wouldn't be out there waiting for someone to turn left in front of us.

As for the lights, there is a difference between being concerned and just being stupid.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
On 2006-11-16 10:30, marcosmaniac wrote:
P*ssy :razz: If you're scared of the dark get mummy to walk in front of you with a flashlight :jest: You'll be telling us you're frightened of dying next. You're British man get out there and wind it on. Your headlights should be pointing skyward anyway :)
I really don't like getting personal, but dickhead comments like this really get up my nose. Firstly, my mum's a nice old lady whose got f*ck all to do with you; secondly, what's "British" got to do with anything? At least I've got the excuse of not being born here; thirdly, dying...the day of our death was fated long ago...so why worry.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On 2006-11-16 12:50, LoVel wrote:
That was pretty crappy Marco. There is no reason to be an ass. If any of us were that afraid of dying we sure wouldn't be out there waiting for someone to turn left in front of us.

As for the lights, there is a difference between being concerned and just being stupid.
Well said. LoVel you've obviously more patience than me. You are right in distinguishing between being concerned and being stupid. And yes, Marco is showing what a prize ass he can be.

·
Registered
937 Posts
This thread reminds me of a time many years ago when my lights failed on my Ducati 350 way out west in the mulga. It was a dark night (no moon) and I bravely decided to follow a car the 100km or so back to the nearest town. It was an hour or so before a car came by and I quickly hooked in behind. He probably thought he was being followed by aliens when he saw the brakelight come on evey now and then (not many corners out there). Who needs a headlight huh?? It was an *interesting* experience. :-D

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Marco obviously spends more time on T595.net! Even I know he was only taking the piss. He wasn't being insulting, just poking fun at you. I can understand someone living here not seeing the joke (even though he posted smilies throughout his post), but I'm surprised that a fellow Englishman didn't realize it was just a wind-up. Take it easy, he meant it all in fun.

On a side note can we have someone RESIZE that picture of a wall so we can read the forum without scrolling all over the place!

[ This message was edited by: Stlakid on 2006-11-16 16:31 ]

1 - 20 of 27 Posts