Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine shows 3900 rpm (to the horror of my buddies on Japanese cruisers with 6000 rpm revlimiters). I'm curious because I came across a couple of road test articles that report very different numbers. One said that the TBS had plenty of torque and was "content to cruise the freeways at 3000 rpm" - but 3000 rpm in 6th on my bike is only 45 mph, a little less than freeway speed in my book. Another article said that the 2004 TBS they tested was turning 3500 rpm at 70 mph.

Changing the sprockets to make 70 mph a little more relaxed tempted me until I realized it would be a pain around town because 1st gear would be so "tall".

·
Premium Member
3,435 Posts
Yeah, I haven't checked mine in a while, but 4000 RPM sounds about right. I am generally turning about 5000 while in the 70s.

6 speeds and your sprocket combo are going to make a difference. What size gears are you thinking of going to? I am running an 18/43 combo, but many people have played with variations between 17/19 and 43/45.

You motor strokes a bit shorter than a Jap V-Twin cruiser or a Bonnie! These 885 motors can red line at up to 9500 RPM.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, I decided not to change the gearing

I'm used to cars that turn 3500 rpm or more at 70 and, from what I read, the longevity of the 885 motors isn't a problem. It's also nice to be sitting right on the torque curve at 60 mph and only have to crack the throttle (rather than shift down) to pass.

I just wondered why I was seeing numbers in road tests that didn't seem to agree with mine,

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
According to my gearing chart, with stock 17/43t sprockets and 160/60 tyre, 3,881 rpm gives 60 mph.

Going to 19t would drop you to ~ 3,500 (18t ~ 3,700)

FWIW I use 19/42t on my Legend (same rear tyre size as TBS) still plenty of torque in top gear (DJ needles & Thunderbike pipe may help) & good improvement in mileage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts