Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What's up guys. As of recently I started riding without earplugs and noticed a sound that has me curious. It could be something that's been there forever, but I just noticed it so I wanted to double check with you guys. If it's normal, awesome! But if it's not I would like to fix it. It resembles a ticking/rattling sound through the rev range but most prominently in the 4k rev range area on acceleration and decceleration. Sounds like its coming from the left most side below the tank. I know the speed is an orchestra of different sounds, but I'm not the best with differentiating sounds such as lifters, injectors, valves, etc.

The only mod to the engine itself is an SAI delete. Bike is a 2010 speed currently at 17k miles. Bike is running great

https://youtu.be/_l8UK2O9TxM

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Hi, That to me sounds quite normal, of course were not standing over it like you are ...which means we might not hear any mechanical noise as well as you do ! .......I personally can hear no ticking or rattling or anything un-toward. Might be better option for you to pop into your nearest Triumph dealership & ask the mechanic's there to lean their ear towards it & then comment.
17K miles ....... have the Valve Shim clearances ever been checked yet ? If not it wouldn't hurt to check them & then at the same time you can inspect your Cam Chain Tensioner too ....I personally wouldn't expect to find anything wrong at that milage either.... but you'll at least have piece of mind then . Cheers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, That to me sounds quite normal, of course were not standing over it like you are ...which means we might not hear any mechanical noise as well as you do ! .......I personally can hear no ticking or rattling or anything un-toward. Might be better option for you to pop into your nearest Triumph dealership & ask the mechanic's there to lean their ear towards it & then comment.
17K miles ....... have the Valve Shim clearances ever been checked yet ? If not it wouldn't hurt to check them & then at the same time you can inspect your Cam Chain Tensioner too ....I personally wouldn't expect to find anything wrong at that milage either.... but you'll at least have piece of mind then . Cheers.
The video sound captures the same in-person sound to be honest. In the video you can hear the wind up of the engine, but also a ticking sound within that sound (if you listen close). If it's normal, I'm a happy camper. Unfortunately my local triumph dealer has a reputation for sabotaging bikes to get you into a newer model (even on a small checkup). 12k check was done according to the previous owner and everything was in spec. I was planning on doing my 24k checkup at 20k jus to play it safe.

·
Registered
135 Posts
my bike sounds exactly the same....

I read somewhere that Tappy = happy... :)

Reactions: DieselGeek

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I don't hear anything out of the ordinary either. If you are really thinking you hear something off, check for exhaust leaks as they can make tapping noises that are RPM dependent. It doesn't sound like it though.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I swapped my plastic tank (05) for a metal one like yours, and the engine noises seem to have been amplified by that, making me think I'd developed a new problem. These are by no means 'quiet' engines, and yours sounds no different to mine - trouble is, once you've heard something, it's hard to get it out of your mind - we've all been there. I personally don't think there's anything to worry about.

Rob.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Sounds ok. They all are a little noisy mechanically.
Your dealer sabotages bikes?
I wouldn't let them near it if true. Are you speculating or do you have proof?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, it sounds like the general consensus is that my engine is normal! Thank god. Just kinda threw me for a loop since I never noticed the tappiness before. The only prior bike experience I had besides the speedy was an SV650 and the exhaust on that thing drowned all engine noise out.

And the only thing the local triumph dealer is good for around here is buying a brand new bike or buying oil filters. I will take the speedy into a different shop for when I do my next maintenance at 20k :)

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
12k check was done according to the previous owner and everything was in spec. I was planning on doing my 24k checkup at 20k jus to play it safe.
Valves don't really go dangerously out of spec in this engine for some reason, I've owned a total of 3 1050's and only one of them was slightly out of spec at the 12k service and not at all at 24k. If you adjusted the valves already don't bother doing them again, ever. Imo
Woah that quoting came out all out of wack, oh well...

·
Registered
458 Posts
sounds normal to me. The Triple is a fickle engine and definitely has its own sound. Nothing alarming in that video though. Ride on!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a copy of maintenance schedules for 12k and 18k services attached. Valves are due at 12k but we don't suggest messing with them until they're ticking. In you case we suggest it. lol. There are other pick and choose items such as fork oil and brake fluids that can be done with time not mileage.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Im on an 02 955i. I was just recently thinking about posting a thread about my triumphs tick until i found your post. Sounds exactly like my engine does, click/ticking goes away at around 3 or 4k rpm. One thing different though is that the ticking is intermittent. One second ill rev the motor and the revz will climb back down to a tick then rev again and no tick. The tick is almost always there upon starting bike.even though its not a damaging tick i find it VERY annoying so much that its part of the reason i started wearing earplugs

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a copy of maintenance schedules for 12k and 18k services attached. Valves are due at 12k but we don't suggest messing with them until they're ticking. In you case we suggest it. lol. There are other pick and choose items such as fork oil and brake fluids that can be done with time not mileage.
In my handbook it says that the schedule for my bike is 12/24k for valve adjustment. Are you a dealer account or service account?

·
Registered
175 Posts
If any of you gen 2 955i people wanna hear my story on my ticking go to the sprint forum and check my post. I would also like to hear anyones input. A collective answer from many people would put my mind st esse

·
Registered
6 Posts
the whining that you hear is part of the fuel injection and the ticking is the injectors, I have done alot of tuning with cars in Japan in the past (when I really go into tuning (cars)) and that's the sound that is synonymous with aftermarket injectors. Not saying your bike has the latter but bike tend to have higher compression ratios hence the ticking. My 15 sounds the exact same....

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I doubt they are any sort of aftermarket injector since this is not common to do unless you have a very heavily modded bike and need more fuel. Bikes also have no engine bay, everything being right underneath of you makes it seem noisier too.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Very wise words.

In all the years I've owned bikes, each time I've taken them in for a VC check I'd hear: "They're within spec and didn't need any adjustments".

Then one day a Yamaha mechanic got honest with me when I was discussing my R1. He said that whenever customers bring their bike's in for a valve check, he'd warm the bikes right up, listen to the heads, and if there were no obvious loud ticking noises they wouldn't even open up the rocker covers. They'd give it back to the customers and say "...within spec".

So now I never get them checked unless I hear a bit of a rattle. Which means on my Speed Triple I'll probably never get them checked. Some people get obsessed with this issue and they end up paying a ton of cash just to be told "...within spec". And you have to wonder - did the mechanic actually put the feeler gauges in??

Peace

·
Registered
432 Posts
Then one day a Yamaha mechanic got honest with me when I was discussing my R1. He said that whenever customers bring their bike's in for a valve check, he'd warm the bikes right up, listen to the heads, and if there were no obvious loud ticking noises they wouldn't even open up the rocker covers. They'd give it back to the customers and say "...within spec".
What an asshole. If I take my bike to a shop with instructions to perform a valve check, I would expect them to damn well perform a valve check, exactly as the manufacturer insists. I trust the engineers who designed and documented the engine over some greasy shop monkey.

Especially egregious when you consider a quiet condition is much more serious than a noisy condition when it comes to clearances.

·
Registered
40 Posts
We are a full service and sales free standing Triumph store in Tampa. Look at the small print under the 6k service and it should say "6000 and 18000." You have to look close because it got me too when I first started with Triumph. I have a master copy list than can be sent to you by email if you need it. Intervals on all Triumphs except for the new twins and shaft drive bikes are every 6k per interval.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
So now I never get them checked unless I hear a bit of a rattle. Which means on my Speed Triple I'll probably never get them checked. Some people get obsessed with this issue and they end up paying a ton of cash just to be told "...within spec". And you have to wonder - did the mechanic actually put the feeler gauges in??
And what about the unusual or less common issues that may arise?

I had all my shims replaced at around 17,000km and there was no excessive noise. Some in spec, some at the limit and a few well out (loose), but all were replaced to get them even.

Not only that, but it was discovered that water had been entering the engine through the cam cover from factory. Serious damage averted, that wouldn't have been the case if left unchecked.

The last clearance check I did on my 05 took an hour and that was taking my time, so not sure why anyone would be paying a ton of cash just for a check.

Just food for thought.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts