Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new Street Triple and have been keen on "breaking it in" properly, but of course the voodoo that is this topic goes all over the place. The one common thread in all recommendations is to not "lug" your engine, so I chose to ride around town between stoplights and stopsigns. From a stop where its idling at ~1000 RPM, I would give it a little throttle and ease the clutch out, and once I picked up speed I would shift up and be on my way. However, when I would ease the clutch out, the bike's RPM would drop from ~2500-3000 to ~1600-2000 and the tone would change a touch for a second while it picked up, and then things were normal. I've been doing this thinking it was normal, but now am concerned I've been regularly "lugging" the engine. Is this the case, or is lugging something different?

·
Registered
111 Posts
What you're doing is lugging the engine. You need to run the bike in the 4500 - 6000 range no matter the gear during the break in time. Vary your speed, vary the rpms just don't lug or putt around. The rings will never seat and you'll burn oil and smoke.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts