Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put in Mobil 1 for motorcycles, for got the label, 10-40 last year. I went to buy more and the dealer was out. Not sure when he is getting more in.
It seems like a good oil for a good price.
Any other recs.?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
what about Amsoil? 10-40 synthetic?
I just looked on their website and they recommend 20-50 for Triumph replacing 15-50 oil.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You see no problem in using a lighter oil then triumph calls for? 5-40?

·
Registered
657 Posts
You see no problem in using a lighter oil then triumph calls for? 5-40?
Weight of oil is the second number - this is equivalent viscosity at the operating temperature. First number is at 0 deg C, important only if you start it in low temperature, and completely irrelevant for synthetic oils.

·
Registered
657 Posts
ive been using mobile 1 as well, but im getting ready to try something new. not sure what ill go with.
I've checked data and reviews on Amsoil 10W40, looks like the best you can get. This is my next oil to change to - price basically the same as Mobil 1 Racing 4T. I have a distributor nearby.
That was a long thread on Ducati boards about what to use - 10W40 or 20W50. In conclusion there is no need to use 50 weight, unless you are operating engine like during race - hours of redline and max temp. Otherwise 10w40 is better, not necessary to move thicker oil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.