Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm no expert - have done the odd oil change and took bits apart but i'm feeling brave and thinking of following these great instructions and having a go!

i won't be needing the bike until june next year so i have time... i'm only concerned i'll start it and not be able to finish

i have tools but not a carb balancer - not going to bother with this bit....

what do you think? worth a go or am i likely to screw things up?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have done everything from that link but the valve check. I still only have 4600k. You can do this entire service in a day. Don't want to rush, no problem. Take two or three days. You will really KNOW your bike and see that is not too hard. I had the most trouble getting the throttle connection off of the carb bank. I also had plenty of sediment in the overfill coolent container. It took alot of flushing to remove. I purchased my bike used with 1200k and had carb issues. When I did the carb job I found they were put together wrong. Pay attention and do 1 carb at a time. I did this with my bike parked in front of my townhouse. If I had a garage I would have torn it apart even more. This was with no other transportation too. I had to get it together again to go anywhere. If you have the space and time it will be a great experience. ANY questions can be resolved here. It is a great feeling to get it done yourself. I cursed this bike a few times trying to get my carbs fixed. It took several removals and countless curses. When I finally got it right I smiled the entire ride. If I can do it you can do it. Besides, you may find that the dealer is not as much help as you would like. The dealer I purchased this bike from claims to have done a carb clean. I don't think so. I will do EVERYTHING I need by myself on this machine. Besides, its kinda fun!

·
Registered
218 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cheers for the motivation!

luckily i only use the trophy a couple a weeks or so a year so i've loads of time to tinker and your right, this is the place to get the info needed when things go wrong....

big up to the guy who did the guide - i used it for my oil change first time too and it's very good!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Looks like a great way to get to know your bike. But I STRONGLY recommend that you get a carb balancer. Carbs getting out of sync happens slowly. Until one day you wonder why the bike is "buzzy" at highway speeds and fuel economy is down. It is usually the carbs are out of sysnc. A 1/16th of a turn on the adjustment screws is a HUGE adjustment and there is no way to "fake-it". Spend the $40 and get the test guage. You will use it at least once a year and be glad you did it.
Mark

·
Registered
41 Posts
My 2 cents.

I had a set of motion pro mercury filled sticks. One broke and they are no more. I have read that the guage type you listed flutter way too much to get a good setting. (can't say for sure never used them) and the new non mercury filled sticks get filled up with bubbles and you can never get them out. This is just what I have seen and what I have been told by service department techs. They tell me spend the money and get mercury.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts