Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to sort out my tach which is dropping dead and only working here and there. I think it is probably the coil. So, I am planning on replacing the no 1 coil. Do you lot think this is the source of the problem? She still goes like **** off a shovel, so could it be somewhere else?

While she is in bits, I think I'm going to do some maintenance. Replace plugs, service the K&N, check the valves, etc. I have 21 on the clock - is it time to replace wires? The old girl is a teenager this year............

One other thing is that I have not sync'd the carbs since new. Should I give that a go?

Looking forward to your thoughts.

·
Registered
367 Posts
wiayeman, sounds like we have similar problems with the tach. Sometimes mine will hover at 500 rpm then it will be correct on and off. I am noty sure mine is coils as i replaced them early on in the resurrection along with wires and plugs. I even went back in and soldered the LT wires to the coils to eliminate loose wire signals. this is something i have to figure out this winter. On mine the tach does eventually read crrectly after about 1/2 hour of riding. As for replaceing the wires ithink if you are going deep enough to replace the plugs you may as well do the wires. Sync'ing the carb would be a good idea too. I will be doing that after i have gone through mine this winter. I intend to go through mine carbs with fine toothed comb as it seems to be rich on one cylinder and weak on the other two, start the bike up after couple of days and it fires on 1 cylinder for a couple of seconds and the picks up the other Two. I'll keep you posted as to what i find.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I wouldn't be changing the coil if she is running fine. Usually if the coil is at fault, rough running accompanies the erratic tach.

Go over the spade terminals on the coil again, maybe there is a dodgy connection for the tach.

I have read of other members tachs going dead, seems to be fairly common and it is actually a problem with the instrument itself.

I would do all the service items you mentioned but again, if she's running fine, why replace plug leads? Unnecessary expense in my view!

Cheers,

Roden

·
Registered
229 Posts
Erratic Tacho

Hi Guys,

These CEV tachos are relatively simple inside for an instrument technician to fix and they do have bits inside that fail or need to be re soldered. I noted in a recent post that I had mine fixed by a firm in Christchurch NZ (called Parrotts) - it now works all the time but is in need of a calibration check as I think it reads slow by about 600 rpm. It will go back for a check shortly. Suggext find a good instrument techo somewhere stateside to check it over before you spend more money on leads, coils etc. Dont forget to tell them its off a three cylinder bike.
Cheers KiwiGeoff:D

·
Registered
575 Posts
Until then (the repair) I'm going with this. It's now located between the Tach and the key switch.

Let $ than a new one until I learn how to fix the original myself.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it possible that the coil is starting to go bad and causing the tach to stop working?
OR
Is a coil all or nothing? Thinking about changing the coils around to see if it changes anything.................

·
Registered
826 Posts
i am currently suffering a coil issue.it is intermitent, but most definately there.when the coil starts missing a pulse (or several) the tacho starts jumping all over the place!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I wouldn't touch the coils as yet. I have replaced my tacho with a new genuine item after I broke the glass on my one trying to pry it open a couple of years back and found that the solder on the circuit board to the plug connection had come loose.Only two months back the new one died so I took it to a guage repair shop where they fixed it for $100 Aus as opposed to $300+ for the new one.It was working fine but now one of my coils has defenitely gone as I ride for say 10 min and the tach behaves erraticaly then the bike just cuts out after 15-20 minutes it will start back up again and run for another 10 minutes or so and do the same thing. So my conclusion is if the tach dont work it is the tach if the coils are failing the tach and the bike will fail together so now I need to replace the coils.Does anyone no if their are aftermarket ones that are cheaper than genuine? I havent got a quote yet for the new ones from triumph but everything else for the bike is ridiculously expensive.

·
Registered
107 Posts
.... as I ride for say 10 min and the tach behaves erraticaly then the bike just cuts out after 15-20 minutes it will start back up again and run for another 10 minutes or so and do the same thing. ....
Dunno about the tach symptoms but the rest of what you describe sounds like the old ignition-pick-up problem.
It lives behind the right creank-cover and when it dies you get 10-15 then it styarts to drop in and out cylinders really violently before dying a few km later.
15mins cool-down and you're ready to repeat the process!

By the way, I've totally given up buying parts from Triumph-Oz. I get mail-order from www.jacklilley.com and it's half or a third the price and at the local post-office in 6 working days!
--
Clem

1 - 12 of 12 Posts