Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

What do you love most about having a motorbike?

6K views 90 replies 59 participants last post by  WastedMerc 
#1 ·
Simple question really. Post your answers below.?

#69 ·
Today I thought about it and realized how complex riding a bike is, you have an ever changing plan and operate both hands, feet and the body in sequence/unison while moving through an unpredictable dynamic environment without being conscious of what you are doing while being conscious of what could happen

#75 ·
A powerful bike with bucket loads of torque and a good handling chassis that carves up corners,grin inducing stuff.I have not been in any car yet that can give me that grin factor.In Australia we have plagues of Grey Nomads with their under powered cars hauling big arse caravans clogging up our highways.With a bike it is a pleasure to twist and go past convoys of them in a single bound instead of sitting frustrated behind them with the cars and trucks.

#76 ·
As much as I like bikes, I also love certain cars. I would love a high RPM Honda S2000. Not a lot of torque, but it is fun to wind up the engine! As for gobs if torque and grins on four wheels, drive or even ride in a AC Cobra with a big block Ford engine!

#78 ·
That has been my credo for a who lot of years and now it has bitten me in the arse. Without the requisite stability or strength in my ankle since my off, two wheels are out of the question. I have tried both a trike and a Spyder.The trike was miles away for what I want, the Spyder is closer but not close enough. My wife told me that when I got off of them after a short ride the stupid grin that was always on my face after a ride was not there. She should know as she has been looking at that stupid grin since we met in 1971. So, for now at least, still no riding.

#81 ·
I must say, my most recent pleasure is buying new shiny upgrades for Penny, putting them on, then going for a ride to discover how much they have improved her and made her more fun and enjoyable to ride.

#82 ·
You have virtually all said it. Once you've experienced the feel of the bike moving and the wind in your face, its there for life, FREEDOM, nothing else comes close.
I sold my 1972 MGB GT when I came to Spain which at the time broke my heart, but the BSA has been with me since 1967 so it eventually came over here too. The Bonnie was a decision made to spend some of my children's expected inheritance after my wife died, not regretted it yet. Don't do as much riding as I would like now and being on the wrong side of the road (for a Brit) at times takes some remembering, but wouldn't change that feeling for anything.

#83 ·
Not much to add. As a kid I would ride a dirt bike for hours on end. Didn't get back to it until my 40s and wasn't sure I'd like the road. Was like second nature. Had to give it up for a few years and am back. Still can just ride forever, or until my butt gives out. May look at seats in the future. :)

#85 ·
Just ask my co workers and wife. I do not ride they all know it. Have had junior welders go out to the parking lot just to see if i finally rode and get off their backs Wife will break out the cold weather gear and say ride as&hole. Placed over 99,000 thousand on a Harley fat-boy that still runs. 2010 to 2015. Bought the Triumph Rocket X in 2015 and got 66,000 showing. Not bragging but love bikes that much. Got a Fiat Abarth bought new in 2013 and has 30,0000 miles on it.(y)(y)(y)(y)(y) Lucky for me i live in Oklahoma and even so it may get cold at times snow is really not a problem. Have some really bad arthritis in my Knees and at times have to watch out. Cold weather will lock them up which makes the few stop lights interesting. Have never been a fan for cages. Started out at seventeen on a RD 350 Yamaha. Have and will continue as long as i can throw a leg over will ride. Never even tried to understand it. Kind of like a drug addict when it comes to riding. I do not get my daily fix watch out.

#87 ·
Riding is therapy. When I'm riding, especially at any kind of pace but to a lesser extent anytime, you don't have the opportunity to be bothered by other stuff. Riding demands so much attention that I can't think about work or family or money or any of the other random issues in life. It's me, the bike, and the road. I used to get the same feeling playing hockey, when I've got something that demands every bit of concentration that's what I consider relaxing.

There are lots of other reasons, but that idea of total relaxation by being so busy that all the other worries fade away is the best.

#88 ·
Simple for me.......Anticipation of the next ride!

Whether a trip to the store, across town, spending the day on back roads, or a planned trip with days in the saddle....I'm always like a kid on Christmas morning!

Probably the same for us all at some level.......the first day you threw a leg over a bike, and came back to do it again the next day gained you membership to the club.

I believe we are all better people because of it, and sadly little by little we are becoming a dying breed.

I tip my glass to you all.......RIDE ON!

#90 ·
In no particular order.
The thrill of whipping down the highway at ridiculous speeds given that there is only a few mm of leather, & a plastic thingie on your head, between you and the road.
The interaction between you and the motorcycle, you can't just point & go like a car.
You're closer to nature, I can feel little changes in temperature and smell things I don't in the car (most good).
The feeling of leaning into turns.
Brings back to mind the freedom you had as a kid when you first learned how to ride a bike and felt you could go anywhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.