Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
I've been married twice as well, a few short relationships in between also, With the exception of one girl(neither wife) and a lot of girls in high school I have never had any wife/girlfriend on the back of my bike, and thats the way I prefer it.
I rarely ride in groups or even with other individuals, I want to be out there all by myself, I dont know that I could enjoy it any other way. I'm thinking of going to that Arkansas motorcycle event in May and the one thing that might keep me from going is riding with other riders, just doesn't appeal to me. Maybe I'm odd but being alone out on my motorcycle(and bicycle for that matter) is probably the most enjoyable thing I do anymore.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Riding a motorcycle turns a mundane errand into an invigorating experience.
Anyone else find excuses to run an errand, purely so they can take the bike out?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Freedom and therapy.. My wife drives the car to work, and since we only have one, in the winter I'm stuck with public transport (which is actually pretty common here in south Finland) .
Now I COULD sell my speedy and get a cheap beater for myself to blast around town in winter.. But the joy my bike gives me in summer is unlike anything else. Summer revolves around biking for me. It becomes my main form of transport, plus it becomes my therapist. Biking clears my head after a days work, and even the wife tells me to "go on a FFing ride and come back happy" whenever im in a bad mood around the house.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Freedom and therapy.. My wife drives the car to work, and since we only have one, in the winter I'm stuck with public transport (which is actually pretty common here in south Finland) .
Now I COULD sell my speedy and get a cheap beater for myself to blast around town in winter.. But the joy my bike gives me in summer is unlike anything else. Summer revolves around biking for me. It becomes my main form of transport, plus it becomes my therapist. Biking clears my head after a days work, and even the wife tells me to "go on a FFing ride and come back happy" whenever im in a bad mood around the house.
If Finland’s public transport system is anything g like Sweden’s system, you don’t need a car for the winter months.

I was in Sweden last year and enjoyed using the trains there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yea, very true, as long as you stay in and around the big cities you're fine. My commute to work with the train is actually quicker than with the bike and finding parking (In Finland a bike and car are considered the same. so no lane splitting or parking on the curb).
If Finland’s public transport system is anything g like Sweden’s system, you don’t need a car for the winter months.

I was in Sweden last year and enjoyed using the trains there.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
As for riding, I do both solo riding trips and trips with my wife on the back. Both are enjoyable.

I rarely commute on my motorcycle, because the roads around here are straight and boring. On top of that everything is near by, and it takes longer to gear up for the ride, than the ride itself.

If I lived in western NC, the story would be different.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Public transport in London is great and very convenient. However, due to traffic lights, pedestrian crossings and other traffic, my commute to work using bus/underground combo takes just over an hour. However, on my bike it takes 25 mins (20 if the traffic lights are kind). Even with UK winter being cold, wet and grey, riding my bike is far more pleasurable than catching public transport (thanks to thermal waterproof gear).

·
Registered
68 Posts
There's been a few mentions of therapy & I can relate to that. For me riding a bike is a lifestyle choice I made in my teens & it's stayed with me since. It's the freedom, the thrill, even when the weather is p1$$ poor, I still enjoy riding. I've had trail bikes, sports bikes, naked bikes & currently have an adventure bike & I love riding them all.

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
I remember the first time I hit the throttle on a Honda 90. I was hooked on that feeling at 9 years old and that thrill echoes through me 50 years later. I like maintaining my bike; I find the Bonneville is the easiest to work on of any I have owned in my adult life. Thanks to this forum, I do that work with confidence, even if I'm doing something for the first time. As many have said, though, it's about riding that sucker. I see a dry patch in the ice covered road in front of my house. It won't be long now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Empty being the key word (except for a riding buddy or two). And if it's twisty, with elevation changes and panoramic vistas - well it just doesn't get any better than that.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Echoing what others have said, when I'm out riding there's no room in my head for the problems of the day.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I said "riding" earlier, but it's about the focus. My mind is just super busy all the time.. Just one random thought after another. Riding allows me...forces me... to focus on nothing but riding. I don't sight see. I don't daydream. The focus is relaxing.

·
2,995 Posts
What I have always loved about owning/riding motorcycles is that it is the best way that I have ever found to clear my head of worries.

There are other great things, but that is the top for me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
290 Posts
I was hooked the day my uncle threw me on the back of his BMW R80 and we went zipping down the PA backroads. 45 years later, I still have that feeling in my gut when I throw my leg over one of my bikes. The torque, speed and feeling of freedom with the wind in my chest is the best therapy I can imagine!
Go fast, don't die

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 83 Posts