Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
One of my favorite aspects of motorcycle riding is the intensity and focus required, especially when racing. When competing on a motorcycle there's no room for any random thoughts, only the race.

There's the slimmest margin for error and the penalty for failure to stay totally focused is huge -- crashing, which can be an expensive toll on man and machine.

After a couple hours of racing like in a cross country event , the total focus required is like a purging of the mind as there's no room for any other thoughts like work, play, etc. There's few opportunities to reach that level of mental intensity and satisfaction, and racing motorcycles is one of them. Viva La Motorcycles !

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Not having to pedal up hills.
This is exactly why I switched to a motorcycle in the first place. After 9 years of cycling in London, I wanted something with an engine. So glad I made the switch. Initially, I kept my bicycle to ride when the weather was nice. But, I ended up selling it 4 months after getting my motorbike, as I hadn't touched it once in all that time and it was starting to get covered in dust and spider webs.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Where to start? The feeling of escape right around the next turn, what 49er dude said, and the fellowship. As a kid on payday heading to the bar i'd have that feeling that anything's possible and tonights the night, never was, but I still get a similar feeling when I throw my leg over the bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The buzz from riding...sometimes I leave home in a not a really good frame of mind and when I get home,it's more like.... what was that problem

·
Registered
24 Posts
There is always the element of risk, and that heightens your senses and makes you focus to the exclusion of all the day to day bull s**t. Not unlike other active/semi-dangerous sports in that respect (hang gliding and base jumping come to mind, not that I've ever tried them). Also gives you a feeling of accomplishment if it's on a vintage bike that you've restored and maintained. And if it's a new triumph, well you can still have all the fun without having to worry about reliability or having the kickstart lever whack you in the leg. So what's not to like? Only the other drivers on the road who are oblivious to bikers, and think we are all a bunch of hooligans that deserve to be tailgated and cut off when making a left turn while on a cell phone. So when and where you ride is as important as developing skills and awareness. So twisty roads yes, traffic choked highways no, IMHO. Other riders who get it, absolutely YES!

·
Registered
24 Posts
used to be all the young lady's it attracted, now its to get away from the lady it attracted:)
So true. Guys who love motorcycles will always love motorcycles. Women who say they love motorcycles will move on to other things on a whim. But they always seem to love diamonds. Sort of the way we love motorcycles.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Riding a motorcycle turns a mundane errand into an invigorating experience.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
So true. Guys who love motorcycles will always love motorcycles. Women who say they love motorcycles will move on to other things on a whim. But they always seem to love diamonds. Sort of the way we love motorcycles.
I've been married twice and moved in with a gal in between the two marriages and all three times as soon as I was well and truly trapped they showed their true colors. Too hot, too cold, it might rain, I'll have to change clothes let's take the car...
When, oh when will the big head do the thinking?

21 - 40 of 57 Posts