Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
The U.S. Government can revoke her immunity and return her for trial ... and they should.
Maybe should but doubtful it'll happen, the US doesnt revoke immunity very often. With our current political situation(trying not to talk politics) its a crap shot as to what could happen. I'm not sure who makes the call on something like this? I assume POTUS has a say in it....

·
Administrator
19,460 Posts
Don't know if this has been covered across the pond, or if this link will work. Looks like not for the first time the Special Relationship maybe only cuts one way :frown2:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-49961679
This has also been all over the news here (well, the news I pay attention to) and is being covered in a light suggesting this woman's use of diplomatic immunity does not have public support here at all. I am hopeful her immunity status will be revoked but am not certain considering the political circus we live in today. It is one thing to skip out on some parking tickets, quite another to avoid a death investigation.

As for the Special Relationship only cutting one way; I have been paying attention long enough to know that special relationship has been tested by both sides, often, yet will persevere. Not the actions of one woman, nor the actions of one President/PM can do any real damage to that relationship. We as people are smart enough to know the actions of one can not define the relationship of all.

Sean

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yeah, I think diplomatic immunity exists and should be used to ensure our diplomats can't be charged with things like treason (because they are in a foreign state, supporting their home country), not to get out of things like speeding tickets, DUIs, murder, etc.... It doesn't sound like the American in this instance did any of those things, just made a mistake of driving on the wrong side of the road. Having spent 2 weeks in Australia, I can understand as driving on the left was really difficult for me... but... while understandable, there are consequences to what happened, and she needs to face them.

I would absolutely support the US sending her back. First, she said she wouldn't leave. Secondly, I don't think this type of infraction is what I want diplomatic immunity used for.

All that being said, I think it's unlikely that will happen for the reasons stated by other members. :(

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
This was being discussed on local (Southern California) talk radio and most people agree it $ucks. However, diplomatic immunity exists to protect diplomats from very real threats and hence should not be waived unless the circumstances are truly exceptional. Is this one? Certainly to the family it is!

Here in the LA area, we frequently have young "gentlemen" from wealthy foreign families racing their Lambos and Ferraris on public streets and diplomatic immunity makes them untouchable. I don't recall that they have killed anyone though. It is just a bad business all around.

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
Don't know if this has been covered across the pond, or if this link will work. Looks like not for the first time the Special Relationship maybe only cuts one way
Nothing to do with Special Relationship, just standard diplomatic practice. Revoking immunity would set a very dangerous precedent. Unfortunate in this circumstance. Immunity exists to protect diplomats and family members from disappearing in hostile countries with impunity.

In any event, the Foreign Office and State Department "may" be able to work something out. Tricky I agree. Likely the wife of a career diplomat/bureaucrat, so technically not "political".

Ideally the woman would have remained to aid the investigation. She can't be prosecuted, full stop. Were a UK diplomat here found to be at fault, we couldn't prosecute either. Will wager there are numerous examples of this involving diplomats from all sorts of countries which haven't been widely reported. (Take care how you cross the street near the UN. :()

Insert historical perspective for any here who recall hostage exchanges at the Brandenburg Gate... Hong Kong probably not such a good spot anymore either. :(

Reactions: KADUTZ

·
Administrator
19,460 Posts
Dangerous forum language. But I applaud it. :biglaugh
Yeah, I had considered removing that sentence or rewriting it, but my criticism is for the state of politics in general (from politicians and citizens alike) and not to take a political stand. I am not a big fan of either party (gentle understatement), but I abhor the lack of civil, intelligent discourse and the tribal partisanship that is so common today. Any topic, including diplomatic immunity, will somehow have a line in the sand between people from one party and the other. And then very little gets done.

I will be the first to call out overt politically divisive statements. No need to insult or offend fellow forum users for their politics or nationality or whatever. Live and let live, let's celebrate motorcycles here!

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
I know there are good arguments for DI but I personally don't like it. To me, if you live in someone else's country, you follow their rules.
They don't live there and are not there voluntarily in all cases.

·
Registered
848 Posts
There should at least be a world-wide agreement for large monetary compensation for crime victims due to another country's diplomat. Not saying that's a desirable thing but it's apparently better than we now have. There's just got to be a better solution, especially among countries that are very friendly to each other.

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
There should at least be a world-wide agreement for large monetary compensation for crime victims due to another country's diplomat. Not saying that's a desirable thing but it's apparently better than we now have. There's just got to be a better solution, especially among countries that are very friendly to each other.
You want to create another bureaucracy? :eek: :) The victims would likely see few of the benefits. And besides, we don't even have this "at home" in most jurisdictions. With tort reform, victims here might see more.

IMO settlements are best handled on a case by case basis without fanfare. Draconian settlements against nations are viewed as political and punitive. Could become very counterproductive.

As an aside, US Military on assignment are also immune from local prosecution but answer to the UCMJ which can be a lot harsher than local jurisdictions. Military courts can also permit local prosecution, but only after due process.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
The thing is she has to live with that death on her mind for the rest of her life and accept resonsablity for her mistake would be one way to get over it, guilt plays a big part on your mind if you were the cause of some ones death, how can she live with herself till its all sorted.

Ashley

·
Administrator
19,460 Posts
As an aside, US Military on assignment are also immune from local prosecution but answer to the UCMJ which can be a lot harsher than local jurisdictions. Military courts can also permit local prosecution, but only after due process.
This is true. And having spent my entire adult life in Army Aviation both as a soldier and a civilian and living in Europe for many years I have seen more than once when the military has waived jurisdiction in favor of the local courts.

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
This topic was addressed in a lengthy press conference after the signing of two executive orders on regulatory transparency a few minutes ago. When POTUS mentioned a call he'd had with Boris, a followup question was asked about this horrific accident.

POTUS acknowledged that he and Boris had discussed the complex issues raised in this thread regarding diplomatic immunity and the feelings and distress and sympathies on both sides of the pond. POTUS said that "they" will be speaking to the woman with a view to reaching an accommodation. The process will unfold.

Without a doubt, the incident is on the radar and the State Department and Foreign Office have been charged by the WH and No. 10 with working something out.

Signing ceremony is on YouTube and the comments start ~ 56:20.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts