Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
17701 - 17720 of 17721 Posts

·
Registered
2008 bonneville carb
69 Posts

changed oil and started cleaning and routine maintenance since belly pan and side covers are off. Put king and queen seat on for a trip last weekend, forgot how comfy that seat is compared to my jp seat. Pic to show off belly pan and Baldwin filter.

·
Registered
454 Posts
A small but very welcome upgrade today. My turn signals have smoked lenses, the 10w bulbs were like candle and burning too fast, so I did the upgrade to led. A generic "electronic" relay, a pair of resistors and the better led bulbs that I found around here worked fine, but still it was quite bad during the day. Looking for a better result I found this company called Okken, with good reviews and well presented led bulbs. The delivery was fast (from the other world side), quite cheap and did a huge difference. I bought a pack with 10 units, so lets see how long it'll work.

View attachment 764130

View attachment 764131

Now the others can see well from the front.

View attachment 764133
Saving me some googling and research....I'm on a 2001. Can someone tell me what the blinker/winker bulbs are originally for wattage or their "make/model" name? I do want to replace both my front and rear winkers with LED. I also want to replace the rear brake light bulb (what's the make wattage on that too). I just want to plunk in some Amazon LEDS . Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Saving me some googling and research....I'm on a 2001. Can someone tell me what the blinker/winker bulbs are originally for wattage or their "make/model" name? I do want to replace both my front and rear winkers with LED. I also want to replace the rear brake light bulb (what's the make wattage on that too). I just want to plunk in some Amazon LEDS . Thanks.
Mine is 2015 but I believe that's the same configuration from 01-16. The indicator bulbs are 12V/10W BA15S. The rear brake bulb is 12V 21/5W P21/5.
The rear brake is simple, just replace with a similar led bulb/led kit. For the turn signals you'll need to add resistors or a diode + electronic flasher relay to it work correctly. Matchlessclueless have some kits ready to install but do a good research and check the parts in your bike before ordering anything.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Mine is 2015 but I believe that's the same configuration from 01-16. The indicator bulbs are 12V/10W BA15S. The rear brake bulb is 12V 21/5W P21/5.
The rear brake is simple, just replace with a similar led bulb/led kit. For the turn signals you'll need to add resistors or a diode + electronic flasher relay to it work correctly. Matchlessclueless have some kits ready to install but do a good research and check the parts in your bike before ordering anything.
Thanks. I was hoping most of it was plug and pray as the front headlight was. I'll just plunk an LED in the rear brake light but wonder why the blinking won't fire up with plug and pray bulbs inserted? Is it the nature of the LEDs needing a kind of electrical head of steam for each ignition (turning on) of the light? Thus what you mentioned (resistors, diode and electronic flasher relay). I'm learning new things every day and totally take on the role of ignorant to many things. Thanks for the fast reply!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks. I was hoping most of it was plug and pray as the front headlight was. I'll just plunk an LED in the rear brake light but wonder why the blinking won't fire up with plug and pray bulbs inserted? Is it the nature of the LEDs needing a kind of electrical head of steam for each ignition (turning on) of the light? Thus what you mentioned (resistors, diode and electronic flasher relay). I'm learning new things every day and totally take on the role of ignorant to many things. Thanks for the fast reply!
The LED uses much less current, too low to trigger the older flasher relays, plus all gauges use only one dumb light for the indicators, that's part of the circuit and will not work correctly with all LEDs at the same time. To fix it you have two options, the simplest is to put a resistor in each side to simulate the load of halogen bulbs (one 10 Ohm/25w load resistor in each side should be enough). The other way is to use a LED flasher relay, but since there's just one dumb light for both sides, you need to put a diode in the circuit as well.

Just be aware, the resistor will heat up with use, but since you don't let a turn signal on for longer times, it should not be a problem.

The newest motorcycles with LED from factory already have all these things in the project, so is just change bulbs.

·
Registered
168 Posts
As much as those scrambler headers that came fitted to my Bonneville are cool looking, I have short legs and my right one kept getting burnt by the headers. So on went the original headers.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Picked it up off the street after some fkr reversed into and then drove off.
Now looking for a front footrest and front brake lever :mad:

·
Registered
2016 Diablo Red Thruxton 1200 R
1,305 Posts
That really sucks jimmy, I would put a bikers curse on the hit and run driver!…..FTG

·
Registered
893 Posts
Took the bonnie out for a late night ride for dinner since the wife is not home. Plus need to make sure bike is ok for the ride meetup tomorrow as I have ridden it for nearly 2 weeks ish.

But after riding the street triple during this time. Getting on the Bonnie is really relaxing. Not so tense (?) If that's the right word for it. Feels like the Bonnie is going to stall as it drives so relaxing compare to the triple high rev.

Good to be on her again :)

·
Registered
893 Posts
Group ride today. Beutiful weather.... it was so distracting that I failed to realise I broken the speed law.... going to be an expensive one..... :oops:

But atleast it was a good day for a ride
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
402 Posts
Took the bonnie out for a late night ride for dinner since the wife is not home. Plus need to make sure bike is ok for the ride meetup tomorrow as I have ridden it for nearly 2 weeks ish.

But after riding the street triple during this time. Getting on the Bonnie is really relaxing. Not so tense (?) If that's the right word for it. Feels like the Bonnie is going to stall as it drives so relaxing compare to the triple high rev.

Good to be on her again :)
Congrats on the STR purchase! I know exactly what you mean. The Trident is high strung compared to the Bonnie. I took my Bonnie out of storage and putted her around the block. Loved the sound, so relaxing. Quite a bit heavier than I remember her. Was also surprised by a little pool of oil under her :( I think it’s time for an oil change and this time I change the drain plug washer. Nobody’s bought my Bonnie and my insurance company is allowing my to insure her for short period (long weekends etc). Tempted to keep her.

TLDR; took Bonnie out of storage after months of riding high strung Trident. Found small pool of oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
181 Posts
Changed from long pants to short pants. i.e. different fenders.

Went from this:
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

to this:
Land vehicle Tire Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle

Not 100% sure I like it better. We'll see how long I keep it this way.

Reactions: okitoki

·
Registered
893 Posts
If I were to go short front, I probably would bob the rear a little shorter on the side.

·
Registered
454 Posts
yesterday, refitted the back wheel and all that goes with that after having a new tyre and tube fitted, after a puncture last weekend. Gotta love new tyre I also fitted a Meriden style seat to the bike which looks good imo but is also much more comfortable than either of the seats I have had on it. View attachment 764696
Seat looks great. Where did you get it, saves me some googling--Meriden style seat. I have an original-grown to like it but it would be nice to maybe just lob on something an inch or two lower with cushion for my old ass.

·
Registered
893 Posts
As much as those scrambler headers that came fitted to my Bonneville are cool looking, I have short legs and my right one kept getting burnt by the headers. So on went the original headers.
View attachment 764439
What sizes are those tyres?

17701 - 17720 of 17721 Posts