Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

16781 - 16800 of 16846 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Finished mounting the first two chain and sprocket sets off the Bonny , they've been in a couple of dirty , greasy bags for some time and always meant to mount them . Each set represents 30,000 miles , that's 60,000 miles of bliss ! The Old Girl's now on her third set . I think it's a beautiful thing and will look nice hanging up as a reminder of our time together .

20200527_190855.jpg
20200527_191329.jpg

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Finished mounting the first two chain and sprocket sets off the Bonny , they've been in a couple of dirty , greasy bags for some time and always meant to mount them . Each set represents 30,000 miles , that's 60,000 miles of bliss ! The Old Girl's now on her third set . I think it's a beautiful thing and will look nice hanging up as a reminder of our time together .

View attachment 728474 View attachment 728475
yeah, that’s pretty cool.
Would make a nice accent piece in the shop.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Cheers ,, it's going up in the shed . Most non motorcyclists look at it and just see bits of steel , but when I look at it , it's 12 years of memories of places and people . It's pretty special to me .
so the machinist in me keeps looking at your creativity and got an idea:

how could you animate this with a small motor and a clock / calendar unit showing both current time and date
Or
An odometer that slowly clicks away so many miles per day....
I think the odometer that clicks a set number of miles / day then advancing the second set of chain / sprockets to indicate one more season?
Preset it to show 12, the historical number of seasons to date, then every subsequent season there after.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Cheers ,, it's going up in the shed . Most non motorcyclists look at it and just see bits of steel , but when I look at it , it's 12 years of memories of places and people . It's pretty special to me .
I love it. What a simple and yet clever idea. I'd gladly hang that in my living room if it were mine.

·
Driftless Admin
11,766 Posts
I realized I neglected to order a master link when I ordered new sprockets and chain, before I took the old chain off! That is unprecedented. I feel like I'm living someone else's life. A blessed life. Normally I would have the chain off before I noticed something like that.

I'm keeping the take-offs, I very much like @Daddy Cool's work there and intended to emulate it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Ever since I replaced the stock turn signals on my Bonnie with some cheap ass LED ones, I have not been happy with them. I chose a model with a running light feature for all four plus brake light feature for rear. My thoughts were cleaning up the look while increasing visibility. Well as I already mentioned, I have not been happy with them. Just not bright enough. Especially the turn signals where you can barely see them flashing, especially in bright light.

This past weekend I corrected that situation. I went with the Kuryakyn by Kellerman bullet signals. These were pricey, more than twice what the cheapos cost, but like most things in life and motorcycles, you get what you pay for.

These bullet style signals have a halo for the running lights feature, which turn off when the turn signal goes amber. The fronts have a white halo and the rear a red halo. They look much better whether on or off. Much more visible and with my Denali driving lights, I have a nice safety triangle up front.

I like them! The shop that installed the cheapos left a spaghetti mess of wires that we had to clean up.

My good buddy Tony helping me with the install. Actually all I did was hold his beer!

A nice safety triangle for up front!

Next up is an LED headlight, looking at the Denali which also has a halo running light. Anyone have one or something else?

Rick G

·
Registered
85 Posts
Been riding every weekend as weather has cooperated. Family got me a flyscreen for Father's Day so I'll be putting that on soon.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Finally got around to sealing the insides of Ted's raw steel tank and his old stock black/checkered Thruxton tank with Caswell tank sealant. Great stuff. Now that black tank can sit on the shelf until I get tired of the raw steel look or I lay the bike down and booger it up. Nice to have options.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
That’s one hell of a front end there 9.5, what forks and tyre are they? 👍🏻
it’s an 04-08 KTM 990 Super Duke.
As an FYI point the 950 Adventure used the same front end but with longer male sliders, and smaller rotors with a deep offset, with a 21” wheel.
Originally I combined the SD forks with the 21” but the shorter legs when combined with the larger radial wheel distance caused issues with the lower fork bridge (hard contact when hitting abrupt ground changes typically found when in the back country) and my fender suffered for it.
I’m experimenting with the 17 and a larger volume tire hoping to recover some of the superior off road rolling quality of the 21 but provide increased front end movment with the increased clearance between wheel / fork bridge.

Side bar: twin 320’s with a radial master is way over kill for off-road riding. Care must be exercised when braking in the wet which I'm hoping the larger contact patch helps alleviate.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
I'm a little late, but last weekend I led a group of 8 riders on a 90-mile farm and parks ride west of Philadelphia. Only my second time leading a decent-sized group. It went very well!

16781 - 16800 of 16846 Posts