Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Curious to get your input on the difference of the front sprocket change.
I did an RPM comparison before and after at 70mph in 6th:
Before: 5400-5500
After: 4800-4900

Not a massive difference but it is noticable. I need to get used to the wider ratios, as short shifting now puts me into lower RPMs than before and the bike doesn't love anything under 3k. I've also noticed that 5th seems more usable, where before I'd often skip from 4th to 6th. As a commuter/chilled rider its an upgrade, if your goal is maximum acceleration then the 16T sprocket is better.

Its a 30 minute job and a $15 part, and I do have the option to swap them back if I feel like it. I'll stick with the 17T part for now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I gave these cheapo Amazon shorty levers a try, (actually grabbed a used pair for $19.84!). They fit and feel great. I'm just dialling in the clutch, as Neutral was proving elusive out the box

I've also sprayed the red bits black, they still need a few coats but they're looking OK so far

Just waiting on the Dart fly screen then I'm done... for now

·
Registered
33 Posts
The flyscreen finally arrived so I'm done with my list of mods. I gave the black paint scheme a week to settle, I was toying with doing some bits a metallic champagne color but not sure how that would work with the silver tank. I used a 2 part matte clear coat over the rattle can job to give it some protection. Ended up pretty similar to @Tapnkegs bike.

I flatted everydown with 800 grit and used a self etching primer on the metal parts, the Rustoleum 2x I used works fine on the plastics without priming. Things painted:
  • front fenders
  • radiator cowls
  • foot peg brackets
  • exhaust guards

I also cut some passanger peg covers from sheet metal and painted those.

Also got this leather key lanyard from Aliexpress, pretty impressed with the quality for $12.

FYI: removing that chrome peg bracket from the right side involves removing the rear brake assembly which mounts behind it. Take pics or reassembly will be fun...
Also installing the brackets for the Dart flyscreen is not possible without dipping the headlight to its lowest setting to get access, which isn't in the instructions.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Oh FYI I didn't want to leave inaccurate info out there: that lever set I bought on Amazon didn't have the extrusion on the clutch lever to depress the clutch sensor button. Without that button being pushed, the ECU can't accurately calculate MPG (minor) but more annoyingly the fuel gauge stops working and the bike thinks the tank is empty. I fixed it with some JB Weld rather than returning the levers, but thought I'd update

·
Registered
Triumph Trident 660
39 Posts
Finally got a replacement stock brake lever (after 6 weeks on back order with the local dealer). Nice to be rid of the badge of shame lever with black tape where the end used to be. :)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Pinned the throttle :)

It’s interesting. 47 ft lbs of acceleration quite consistently. Once you get the shock of it, it doesn’t change much… and therefore theoretically the bike is easier to handle than say a bike that accelerates faster and faster.

I remember once I got comfortable pinning the throttle on my 14 hp 250 cc and actually riding it like that. That was fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
Oh FYI I didn't want to leave inaccurate info out there: that lever set I bought on Amazon didn't have the extrusion on the clutch lever to depress the clutch sensor button. Without that button being pushed, the ECU can't accurately calculate MPG (minor) but more annoyingly the fuel gauge stops working and the bike thinks the tank is empty. I fixed it with some JB Weld rather than returning the levers, but thought I'd update
View attachment 763087 View attachment 763085
If I’m not mistaken that lever also allows the bike to be started while in gear. Without it and you always have to start in neutral.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine is still mostly stock. But I did remove all the warning stickers and the reflectors on the front forks. Oh, and I added THIS phone holder which is very solid and very inexpensive!

My next upgrade will be a windscreen (Puig or Dart) and a radiator protector (any recommendations on this?)

I'm having fun with the Trident so far. It puts a smile on my face and turns heads.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine is still mostly stock. But I did remove all the warning stickers and the reflectors on the front forks. Oh, and I added THIS phone holder which is very solid and very inexpensive!

My next upgrade will be a windscreen (Puig or Dart) and a radiator protector (any recommendations on this?)

I'm having fun with the Trident so far. It puts a smile on my face and turns heads.
I got the Evo-tech radiator grill at my local shop here
I looked at the Ali-express ones but there are discrepancies in the pictures and I don't know what you'd get.
The Evotech one is decent for $75

·
Registered
2022 Trident
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Painted the seat cowl flat black and like the results. Next up is to black out the foot pegs and possibly the exhaust covers with high temp paint.

61 - 80 of 100 Posts