Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

141 - 160 of 280 Posts

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I decided to see if the front Ferodos still had some meat on them so I pulled the front calipers and I'm good until the Spring. I pushed the pads all the way in one caliper at a time, put the caliper on, pumped it firm and then did the other side.
The brake feel is MUCH better than it was prior to having a look see.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Did the typical 24,000 mile service in my garage. (I'm at <48,000 miles.) Still finding the stepper motor idle control to be "out of control." But, it IS better than it was. Now, I gotta do the other Tiger (roadie.)It's at about 24,000 miles as I write this.

Or, I'm going on a ride!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Washed (S100) and threw on a good coat of Honda polish. Oil change (Motul & K&N) and chain maintenance (WD-40 to clean, Maxim chain wax to protect)

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Took the 06 Tiger out for a ride and what the hell happened to my rear brake travel? The lever went way down and it took a few stabs to pump it up.
I pulled over and nearly all of the friction material was gone. I see what they mean about them eating the rear pads before the fronts.
You would have caught this if you performed a "T-CLOCS" inspection that included brake pad material. Use this as a learning opportunity for the future, and check all the brakes on every motorcycle you throw a leg over. :wink2:

·
Registered
381 Posts
You would have caught this if you performed a "T-CLOCS" inspection that included brake pad material. Use this as a learning opportunity for the future, and check all the brakes on every motorcycle you throw a leg over. :wink2:
Better check the condition of the rotor. Metal on metal isn't good for the rotor. Hopefully you had enough friction material so that there was no contact with the pad backing material.

Chico

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
No metal on metal contact.
Keeping an eye on pads is a good idea, especially on the Triumphs which have pistons with no coating because they saved 50 cents per caliper.
That one buzzed threw a new set of pads in record time.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Attempted to mount a just delivered altrider headlamp protector, but it was missing a bolt (boo!!!). Emailed them, hopefully they’ll respond soon.

And mounted a new Givi Outback Trekker top case. Took longer to get it out of the box than anything.

And pre-ride prep for a ride tomorrow, woot!

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
As the UK roads were dry and salt free.........I took mine for a 10 mile spin to give all the mechanical parts a work out.

I used to just start it up and run it up to operating temp on the driveway, until someone on one of the Tiger forums mentioned that's why I was getting mayo in the oil over winter.......because the gearbox wasn't getting up to temp as well, and condensation was forming inside the casings. I now run it out on the road every couple of weeks. Still learning after 38 years of riding bikes, and 26 years of riding Tigers :wink2:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Took it out, out about 50ish miles on her today? Temp gauge read at 42 in the coldest part of the ride. I’m thinking I really need some heated something for my hands, they were hurting today in just leather gloves.

Cleaned the Givi cases and mounts. Gundecked a motorcycle tail bungee net for the inside lid of the 42L top case..and ordered a Puig rear hugger.

·
Registered
465 Posts
^^^^

That rear hugger is a must for any bike with all the crud accumulating under the tail and suspension without it. I have the same one.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Rode mine to work. this weekend I'll start install on the barkbuster handguards that came from my family for christmas. does anyone know if the clutch cable on the XCX interferes like the XRX did? If so I need to order that "S" curve piece from twisted throttle right away.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Not strictly today, but 31st, pulled her out of the garage, cleaned, polished, checked all fasteners, cleaned & re-oiled the chain, checked chain adjustment, connected up TuneECU & checked for any error codes (there weren't any) checked tyre pressures & wheeled it back into the garage again.

Was going to go for a final 2018 ride but you could have planted potatoes on the back of the car so had to wash & polish that as well. By the time i'd finished, it was dark & dinner was calling. :smile2:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Rode it to work today, was 70 this morning and humid. So much for winter - not that I'm complaining :) We do like an occasional cool day or two here

·
Registered
218 Posts
It gets colder here than people think!! I rode in to work last week and when I hit the bottom of a valley, which goes right through a canyon it got down to 34!

Knightshade, 42 F in Southern CA? I didn't think that happens. Are you in the mountains?

Chico

141 - 160 of 280 Posts