Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

261 - 280 of 280 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Gonna be 69F today, then 80F the next 2 days. Ugh. Got 2 bikes in the shop for repair, so I'm down to my enduro. Guess I'll ride that today/tomorrow. Looks like it'll be my "commuter" next week too. (Double ugh!)

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Tomorrow it's the 40,000 mile oil change but today I replaced all 4 turn signals with ones from a Buell XB.
They're a lot more flexible than the stock ones. If you decide to go this route, you'll need to use the Triumph connectors so there's a little soldering involved and for the front you snip off a little locating nub on the base of each turn signal.
The rear was a bit more challenging. I ended up using a 10mm flat washer on the inside and then a 12mm stainless hex nut as a spacer. I was able to tighten them up enough by turning the turn signal at the base with an Allen wrench wedging the inside nut so it couldn't turn and then for insurance I used a bit of Green Loctite to keep things from loosening up.
I took it out for a torture test today and so far, so good.
The rear cowling covers up the hex nuts so it doesn't look idiotic.

While I think of it, you need to put the washer and nut that screws onto the shaft onto the lead and THEN solder on the Triumph wiring. The nuts on these will not go over the Triumph connectors.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,275 Posts
Took my white Tiger out for a 2 hour ride on some nice mixed elevated back roads, a real bit of everything including road works and a gravel road, which was an absolute doddle on my XRT. :doublethumb :Happy

Got home and spent a good 30 -45 minutes washing all the wet mud off from the road works, I think I went through the gravel dirt road & road works just after the water truck dammit!:Dang

Anyhow it's all shiny and clean and dry again now. :hearts

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Yo, Steve, pimp my Tiger!

That I can do.
Added a carbon fiber sprocket cover and a beautiful Skidmarx rear hugger to replace that chintzy rubber flap Triumph riveted on there. Much, much better than new.

What looks like scratches and whatnot are just reflections from the gloss, this stuff is beautiful.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Today.......well, yesterday.........I took Tiger out for a warm up ride on a dry winters day in the UK. After negotiating the black ice on the road out of the village I decided against going for a blast round the back roads, as no doubt there would have been more black ice lurking. So with heated grips on full blast I stayed on the main road which lead me to a large Outdoors retail outlet where I thought I'd have a mooch around for some manly, outdoorsy things. I parked right outside the front of the store because I'm very security conscious, and I do live in one of the crime capitals of the UK. I put my helmet and gloves in the panniers and tootled in for said mooch for all things manly. After about 20 mins mooching but not buying anything I came back out and noticed Tigers' lights were on ?? Bloody idiot I thought, you've turned the ignition key one notch too far when putting the steering lock on and left the lights on. So as I fumbled around in my pocket for my keys as I approach the bike, and not finding them, I look at the ignition switch and realise I'd left the keys in the bike while I was in the shop !! Noooooooo ........!! :eek:

I couldn't believe it. First at how forgetful, lax and feckin' stupid I'd been, then at how lucky I was that the bike hadn't been nicked !! I gathered my thoughts as I moved the handlebars to turn the ignition off, felt how hot the grips, were then thought.......I know what's coming next :(. Sure enough, as I went to start the bike, the starter motor said "sorry you idiot, you deserve everything you're gonna get here". Bugger, the bike wouldn't start. So I gathered my thoughts again (I had plenty of spare thoughts as I hadn't used any when I pulled up and got off the bike !! :mad:) and went through the options.........1 - wait a bit and it might just start, 2 - phone for my recovery company for a jump start, 3 - try and push start it ?? I went with option 1 and tried again to start it off the ignition....it didn't. Thought about option 2.....nope, couldn't deal with the shame. Went with option 3. I found a willing volunteer, who by the way had noticed the lights were on and the keys were in the ignition when he went in the store, and asked if he'd help me push start it. He said yes......so off we gallop down the road pushing all 200 plus kg's of Tiger, me thinking if I jump on this side saddle to put some weight on the bike for the back wheel to grip and I balance the wrong way and it goes over, that would just be the icing on the cake !! Fortune was on my side this time and Tiger started with a click into first gear and a bounce on the seat......phew :). After a quick thank you to my willing volunteer, I thanked my lucky stars and rode home vowing that would never happen again !!

·
Premium Member
24,275 Posts
HiTiger-G

obviously you were lucky and I'm glad you didn't get your bike flogged.:)(y)

I wouldn't have tried a bump start in first gear though not in cold weather on damp or possibly icy roads. If the back locked up on a slick surface you would go straight down. :unsure:

Maybe a good idea to use a higher gear and less likely hood of an unpleasant end to an attempted bump-start! :rolleyes:

cheers
DaveM

·
Registered
389 Posts
I can finally chime in on this thread!
I've done squat on my Tiger since the Tuesday before Thanksgiving when the weather was divine for the time of year (almost 60 deg. F) when I did a 130 mile romp on crap roads.
Took advantage of mild temps.today and gave it a good cleaning, lubed pivot points and changed the oil after reading how it's not good to leave corrosive exhaust contaminants in used oil in the motor all winter. Then put my black beauty back to bed.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Started the winter "major service". Stem to stern, all will be checked, cleaned and all serviceable points addressed.
It started a bit earlier than normal because a melted main fuse pushed me to find the reason.
Over the last few days, front brakes, forks & lighting. When I get the front back together, I'll work my way back.
3- Remove forks.JPG

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not today, more like a month ago, added Denali front lights & the Denali license plate rear light. What a difference. Other previous adds, BMC air filter, Leo Vince exhaust, radiator guard, Triumph larger engine guards, Triumph hand guards, Triumph short levers, rear wheel hugger, Denali sound blaster horn, 37 L RH & 45 L LH hard cases SW-Motec Trax, mirror extenders. It a great commuter & all around bike.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
The weather actually got nice for a few hours so I decided it was time to start breaking in my "new" jacket.
It feels great to be back out on a bike again after 2 weeks of being stuck in a car.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Recently I've been buying dress hats (for my head) and wanted to transport one to leave at work but it would get crushed in the top case with my back pack full of junk and the right hand passenger footrest mount got smooshed when I crashed following that heart attack so I couldn't mount the r/h saddlebag.
How that happened, I have no idea as the bike fell on the left hand side.
That mount is pretty stout and was resisting bending SO by sticking the lower saddlebag bracket onto the outside of the mount I was able to get the bag back onto the bike again.
It's always nice when a fix costs nothing and actually works as planned!

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Today I took a 165 mile round trip ride to meet a woman seller who was absolutely terrified of me (ha, ha). However, she took my money and I went away with this beauty from Locke & Co Hatters in London.

·
Premium Member
24,275 Posts
Today I took a 165 mile round trip ride to meet a woman seller who was absolutely terrified of me (ha, ha). However, she took my money and I went away with this beauty from Locke & Co Hatters in London.
Hi Stevo,

That is a very smart Bowler indeed.(y)
Was it the leathers and riding a motorcycle that scared her?

In winter I normally wear a nice Black "Bogart" Fedora by our local brand "Akubra"

https://akubra.com.au/collections/hats/products/bogart-black

cheers
DaveM

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
That is a nice looking hat, I've heard good things about that brand. They've got a following here in the States.
We should start a thread in the Biker Hang Out section.

That lady? Late 50s, kinda frumpy, lives alone with a cat, bumper stickers and nativity display indicate conservative Christian and along I come on my motorcycle, kinda hairy and just normally scary looking. She acted like I was the CraigsList Killer but nope, just here to buy a hat.

I had to buy a hat stretching device for that bowler, getting it wet and wearing it a bit isn't going to cut it for hairy, scary looking head, ha, ha.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
A good looking bike requires a good looking hat, I would think.
The British have always had such an eye for lines, the designs are just timeless.

261 - 280 of 280 Posts