Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1961 - 1980 of 1986 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
for the life of me, I couldn't get a long screwdriver onto the adjuster cleanly, so as not to bur up the screw head..
Ya, it works (and decently), but it's not ideal and there is a LITTLE bit of a bur on the screw head (but not much). I tried to use the Triumph tool, but it's too fiddly for me. I think your tool would work better to be honest - more to get your fingers on.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Ya, it works (and decently), but it's not ideal and there is a LITTLE bit of a bur on the screw head (but not much). I tried to use the Triumph tool, but it's too fiddly for me. I think your tool would work better to be honest - more to get your fingers on.
I made this for the Thruxton forks, just filed down an old miniature key from a suitcase lock, its on my keyring in case I want to make adjustments while i'm out riding.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yep, that was my design brief. Thin articulate fingers I don't have.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
The adjustment screws on most (all?) street triples are directly under the handlebars, hence the difficulty finding the right tool.

Dan
OK, I see the problem now, ignore my ramblings then, never had a bike with traditional handlebars.

·
Registered
2018 Triumph Street Triple RS
485 Posts
Today I got the bike all packed up and ready to go. I've got a 12,000ish mile ride starting tomorrow. It's going to be epic! I also started a trip report in the ride/trip report section. You can find it here. I plan to update it as often as I can, but it might not be every single day. I'm nervous, but super excited also! It would be awesome if you'd follow along.

·
Registered
2016 Diablo Red Thruxton 1200 R
1,305 Posts
That’s why it’s a adventure, may the Bike Gods look over and after u and Mother Nature is kind for your whole trip, Have Fun on 2wheels Bro!…. FTG

·
Registered
602 Posts
Today I got the bike all packed up and ready to go. I've got a 12,000ish mile ride starting tomorrow. It's going to be epic! I also started a trip report in the ride/trip report section. You can find it here. I plan to update it as often as I can, but it might not be every single day. I'm nervous, but super excited also! It would be awesome if you'd follow along.
G'luck and enjoy the adventure! I'll be watching the ride report for updates.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Today my beautifully made stainless Harris Performance front stand arrived after several weeks wait. Unfortunately it seems that the under fork model is no good for my Street Triple RS due to the position of the calliper mounts, ABS sensor etc. Looks like I'll have to get the under yoke model and send this back - gutted

·
Registered
485 Posts
Today, I goofed up again! It wasn't bad so I was easily able to correct the issue. My drug sample jar (brake reservoir) has been developing leaks for a while. It seems to start leaking around the top gasket randomly every weeks. I noticed it while riding because it would start leaking then small drops of brake fluid would splash on me, and likely on the bike as well. I'd have to stop, unscrew the top, fiddle with the rubber gasket to get it seated properly, and retighten it to get it to stop leaking. I decided to get a cheap aluminum replacement on Amazon. USPS lost it but then found it and finally got it delivered. I got it all installed this morning and decided to go ahead and bleed the brakes while I was doing brake related repairs. I got the right side bled quickly and easily then moved to the left. That one went well for a bit then the brake lever suddenly wouldn't develop pressure even though the bleeder screw was tight. UGH! You guessed it. I let the reservoir go dry and sucked a big ole air bubble into the master cylinder. Fortunately, the master cylinder has its own bleeder screw. I refilled the reservoir and made good use of that master cylinder bleeder. It was easy to get the master primed again. Bad part is that I likely introduced smaller bubbles past the master so I finished bleeding the left side brake then bled the right again just to be sure. Now the brakes are nice and firm with fresh fluid and I've got a much cleaner looking reservoir that hopefully won't be leaking either.

Sadly, it's 95 degrees outside right now so I'm not going to take her for a test ride until it cools off a bit this evening.

·
Registered
2018 Street Triple RS
239 Posts
Today, I goofed up again! It wasn't bad so I was easily able to correct the issue. My drug sample jar (brake reservoir) has been developing leaks for a while. It seems to start leaking around the top gasket randomly every weeks. I noticed it while riding because it would start leaking then small drops of brake fluid would splash on me, and likely on the bike as well. I'd have to stop, unscrew the top, fiddle with the rubber gasket to get it seated properly, and retighten it to get it to stop leaking. I decided to get a cheap aluminum replacement on Amazon. USPS lost it but then found it and finally got it delivered. I got it all installed this morning and decided to go ahead and bleed the brakes while I was doing brake related repairs. I got the right side bled quickly and easily then moved to the left. That one went well for a bit then the brake lever suddenly wouldn't develop pressure even though the bleeder screw was tight. UGH! You guessed it. I let the reservoir go dry and sucked a big ole air bubble into the master cylinder. Fortunately, the master cylinder has its own bleeder screw. I refilled the reservoir and made good use of that master cylinder bleeder. It was easy to get the master primed again. Bad part is that I likely introduced smaller bubbles past the master so I finished bleeding the left side brake then bled the right again just to be sure. Now the brakes are nice and firm with fresh fluid and I've got a much cleaner looking reservoir that hopefully won't be leaking either.

Sadly, it's 95 degrees outside right now so I'm not going to take her for a test ride until it cools off a bit this evening.
Just curious, did you go through the ABS system bleed procedure via a Triumph diagnostic software (i.e. Dealertool)? I'm ready to do my brake fluid flush/bleed and wasn't sure if this is a critical procedure. I believe the service manual recommends an initial brake system bleed, then the ABS bleed, followed by a second brake system bleed. Querying what other folks do on the brake fluid servicing. Thanks!

·
Registered
687 Posts
Normally you don't need to bleed the ABS pump when changing the fluid. As long as you keep filling the reservoir and don't let air into the system you will be fine.

·
Registered
2018 Street Triple RS
239 Posts
Normally you don't need to bleed the ABS pump when changing the fluid. As long as you keep filling the reservoir and don't let air into the system you will be fine.
Thanks! It's a tiny amount of old fluid in the ABS, wasn't sure if it really needed to changed out. Have a great weekend.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Just curious, did you go through the ABS system bleed procedure via a Triumph diagnostic software (i.e. Dealertool)? I'm ready to do my brake fluid flush/bleed and wasn't sure if this is a critical procedure. I believe the service manual recommends an initial brake system bleed, then the ABS bleed, followed by a second brake system bleed. Querying what other folks do on the brake fluid servicing. Thanks!
I have a DealerTool, but I didn't go through the ABS bleed procedure. There is so little trapped fluid that it doesn't really matter. The whole system only holds like 2 or 3 ounces.

Reactions: Trippin RS

·
Registered
893 Posts
made an offer for the 2013 675R and seller accepted it. Will be picking up on Saturday;
will need to do the fluid and filter changes which hopefully may fix the noisy clutch I described in my other thread. (seems like its normal)
after that, will need to clean some surface rust off some bolts;
need to order the soupy lowering kit since this is my wife's bike..... if I can drop it to say around 29-30" she should be able to handle the bike easily. her inseam is 28"

Reactions: FLY-TRI-GUY

·
Registered
84 Posts
made an offer for the 2013 675R and seller accepted it. Will be picking up on Saturday;
will need to do the fluid and filter changes which hopefully may fix the noisy clutch I described in my other thread. (seems like its normal)
after that, will need to clean some surface rust off some bolts;
need to order the soupy lowering kit since this is my wife's bike..... if I can drop it to say around 29-30" she should be able to handle the bike easily. her inseam is 28"
Perhaps consider adding some SW-motech bar risers.
That will allow you to drop the forks a little more to maintain the geometry when lowering at the rear ;-)

Reactions: okitoki

·
Registered
2016 Diablo Red Thruxton 1200 R
1,305 Posts
U scored a 2013 675R, very nice!…. FTG

1961 - 1980 of 1986 Posts