Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1941 - 1960 of 1986 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Careful with those turn signals, they don't flex much at all. I bumped mine too many times and one is starting to crack at the stalk.
Thanks for the heads up. I’ll try to be mindful. Bummer because otherwise they seem super stout compared to the original ones.

·
Registered
79 Posts
LOL Yep, with the weight up high and that far back, wheelies will be easy as pie. That GIVI top case is behind the brake light! I could put a pad on it and use it as protection from looping the bike in addition to making wheelies easier. Definitely not pretty, but holds a lot of cargo and doesn't give me wide hips so I can lane split through California with it. And you're right; it's all about functionality rather than esthetics for this trip. I even got the EZ Pass transponder in the mail today for all the toll roads over on the east coast. It's so much easier to just sail through the EZ Pass lanes rather than stopping at toll booths or trying to avoid toll roads up there.

Right now, I'm thinking the trip will start just after July 4th. I plan to make a big long trip thread in the ride reports section. I can't promise daily updates though. Day 1 is going to be a long boring ride across North Dakota and the flat part of Montana. Day 2 should be so much better! I'll cross over the Continental Divide, then hopefully make it to the Pacific coast. Day 3 (and 4), I plan to take highway 101 and 1 all the way down the coast. From Neah Bay in Washington down to San Ysidro at the Mexican border. I'll be looking at Vancouver Island one day, then Tijuana two days later! I might even cross over into Mexico for a drink or two. I bet they have some good tequila down there. I-5 would be faster, but I've always wanted to see the Oregon coast, and I've heard the California coast is just as good, so I'm going to burn a few extra hours to smell the ocean on my way down. I'll have my GoPro with me. I hope I remember to use it.

Doing the pacific coast in 2 days is gonna be tough....I did from aberdeen wa to pismo beach last year during the lockdown and even with no traffic not sure that was doable. I guess anything is possible, but I found about 300-350 miles a day was best. Its a beautiful ride, lots of small towns and 35mph zones through oregon. Northern california was amazing but blind hairpin corners and the odd town. I would suggest giving yourself more time if possible. Cutting over to I5 to make up time and miss out on the ride would be a shame.

·
Registered
2018 Triumph Street Triple RS
485 Posts
Doing the pacific coast in 2 days is gonna be tough....I did from aberdeen wa to pismo beach last year during the lockdown and even with no traffic not sure that was doable. I guess anything is possible, but I found about 300-350 miles a day was best. Its a beautiful ride, lots of small towns and 35mph zones through oregon. Northern california was amazing but blind hairpin corners and the odd town. I would suggest giving yourself more time if possible. Cutting over to I5 to make up time and miss out on the ride would be a shame.
Right now, I'm planning for a tight schedule early in the ride. That way, I'll have extra days to burn whenever I need to later in the ride due to weather, unexpected bike issues, fatigue, or just because I want to relax a day. If I take a third day on the Pacific coast, it shouldn't be a real issue. I should have that extra day available. The ride can be done in 11 days if one is so inclined. The normal IBA pace is about 1,000 miles a day. I won't average that because I'll be doing a little bit of sight seeing but I am hoping to be as close to it as possible. There will be some days where I'm on the road for 6am and still riding at 9pm.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Two weeks ago, I installed the Triumph Connectivity module in the Street Triple 765 R 2018 at an authorized service center.

The menu is like in the 2020 version. I like it. I still have to test the navigation and other goodies.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Two weeks ago, I installed the Triumph Connectivity module in the Street Triple 765 R 2018 at an authorized service center.

The menu is like in the 2020 version. I like it. I still have to test the navigation and other goodies.
Have the dash graphics changed after installing the Connectivity Module? Please post a video on how it looks, I'm planing on picking it up too for my 18.

·
Registered
2018 Triumph Street Triple RS
485 Posts
Today I swapped out my left side switchcube. A while back, some idiot managed to break the little feeler off of the clutch engage/disengage switch. Fortunately, when it breaks off, the bike always thinks you've got the clutch lever pulled, so it will still start up and run. Because it thinks you've got the clutch lever pulled in, the quickshifter stops working. The fuel gauge also stops updating, so you never know how much fuel is in it. The low fuel light warning light does work so you at least have a warning of some kind, but it's always 0 miles to empty and the gauge on the TFT always says it's bone dry. I wish I could find that roving teenage gang that broke it, but I haven't seen any such gangs in a long time. Maybe they are vampires...

Turns out, Triumph doesn't sell just the clutch sensor. You have to get the whole switchcube to replace what is essentially a small momentary switch. And of course, the US version wasn't available so I got the British version with the DRL/low beam switch on it. That switch does nothing on my bike, as I expected. I wonder if there's a way to tap into it and wire it up to something else. Sadly, the new left side switchcube made me realize how old and faded the right side one is. Now I want to replace that one too so that both sides look nice and pretty and new.

I took it for a spin to make sure everything functioned properly after installing it. And everything worked great! Fuel gauge is responding again. Bike won't start without me pulling the clutch lever anymore, even if it's in neutral. Everything is working great!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Have the dash graphics changed after installing the Connectivity Module? Please post a video on how it looks, I'm planing on picking it up too for my 18.

The navigation with the Android phone works.
But if the Google Assistant on the phone is other than English, English messages are spoken in the language of the phone.
This is a hopeless solution, there is no language choice for messages.
Maybe it will work better with the iPhone.

The module is mounted in the tail of the motorcycle.

·
Registered
687 Posts
First time I saw the new style dash layout on a pre 2020 model. I know a lot of people dislike the new style because of the hard to read rev counter. It doesn't really bother me though.

·
Registered
2012 Street Triple R 2016 Thruxton R
2,097 Posts
For those of us that don’t have one of those AMAZING 2021 Street RS’s with that so-super-cool TFT dash (no sarcasm, I really like that bike), I figured I would post my easily created i-Dash. I’ve posted a few different attempts at doing this in the past, and every time I eventually feel like all I did was just turn my stReet into a Johnny-5 from Short Circuit. (google it.) This ended up being the most sturdy, lowest profile, most adjustable, and least intrusive looking creation thus far. Was my final attempt, so I’m glad I like it so far. Anyway, for others possibly interested, it only consists of 3 relatively inexpensive well-made parts. RAM QuickGrip cradle, Medium length B-Arm, and Handlebar Clamp-Bolt B-Ball. Done. That other RAM x-grip cradle looking thing that is commonly seen everywhere just looked like some sort of Alien-hand space contraption. Now I can have maps that “exclude highways” when I want to take my scoot to places I don’t frequent. Nothing amazing. But still sorta rad. Two images included.
Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Light
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle

Reactions: Matt-J2 and 415768

·
Read Only
0 Posts
It’s time I add something like this to my Triple. Any pics of the handlebar clamp set up? I’ve also seen folks use a steerer tube mount.

Dan

·
Registered
2012 Street Triple R 2016 Thruxton R
2,097 Posts
@Danimal92Sport … I just gave the RAM Stem-Hole Ball-Mount a shot this afternoon. Not only was/is that option a waste of $$, it actually fits in the trash can better. Ugh. Surprisingly, the Handlebar Bolt-Ball option was able to achieve a lower profile anyway. Even lower then when I tried the (not nearly as secure or sturdy) Stemhole-mount with a “Short” Arm. I attached a close-up image for you to view, and without the iPhone in the cradle. Cheers.
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive design

Reactions: 415768

·
Registered
602 Posts
Both of my RS's came with a similar (much thinner) tool. I almost lost the 1st one deep in the bike somewhere since it won't stay attached to the pillion seat. The 2nd is in a bagging with things I don't want to get wet.

I still prefer to use a long thin screwdriver though.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Both of my RS's came with a similar (much thinner) tool. I almost lost the 1st one deep in the bike somewhere since it won't stay attached to the pillion seat. The 2nd is in a bagging with things I don't want to get wet.

I still prefer to use a long thin screwdriver though.
for the life of me, I couldn't get a long screwdriver onto the adjuster cleanly, so as not to bur up the screw head..

1941 - 1960 of 1986 Posts