Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1881 - 1900 of 1914 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Today, I purchased my 2018 Street Triple RS. Actually it was just before Christmas, but I'm calling it today anyway. She's got 13,000 miles on her and I'm spending the day making sure everything is tight and replacing all the fluids and filters. I've also got some aftermarket items from my old bike, a Honda CB650F, that I'm transferring over. Things like USB power outlets, phone mount, a dedicated "dashcam", and a ScottOiler. So far, I'm really happy with the new bike :)

·
Registered
556 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Today... I looked at my bike on her front and rear stands.. Cursing its winter here and I rather not ride in 30 degrees or below. Especially when the roads have salt, sand and/or snow :( Curse you New England Weather!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I wish my problems were winter... Here we're not allowed to go out the whole weekend, only between 8am and 1pm and as long as we don't go outside our own town borders!
Therefore, I just spent 1h cleaning the chain. Started the other day but ran out of cleaning spray, so had to order more and continue today. I was impressed by how much oil the previous owner was putting on the chain and just accumulating layers and layers on the inside. Rivers of black stuff coming out.

The good part is that now it's all shiny and silver and the new oil will have over a week to settle in. :D

Also got to try the new Puig rear stand, which scratched the swingarm on the right side. -_-' Need to put some rubbers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just got done putting the stock headlight assembly back on. My 2013 Street Triple came with the single light Motodemic conversion on it, but I like the stock look better.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Today was a busy day for me. I installed a Puig windscreen to get a little better wind flow when riding. I also installed a relay so that I can have easy access to switched power in the tail. Now I have a good power source and don't have to worry about draining the battery by forgetting something when I turn off the bike. I also got most of a ScottOiler setup. I still need to run the actual oil line from the pump down to the rear sprocket, but all the electrical lines are run and well hidden. I even swapped out the halogen headlights with LEDs.

I have more items coming in the mail, so there will be more done next week. Fun times!

Reactions: rookie01

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
This is a very long story -- start to finish was more than a month -- that I will make short. The line from the Scottoiler to the rear sprocket rubbed against the rear tire and began oiling the tire instead of the chain.

As President Bush and the Dude said, "This will not stand!" The problem seemed to be a routing problem. The oil tube ran around the front of the swingarm and then under the swingarm to the rear sprocket. I think the movement of the swingarm pulled slack from above the swingarm and made loops under the swingarm I fiddled farted around and came up with an idea.

I ran the oil supply tubing along this piece of brazing rod and slipped some shrink tubing over the both of them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Started to give the triple some love. Clean air filter, Oil and Filter change, Valve Adjustment and Coolant change.

All was progressing well until I realized that one of the 3 dowels from the Cam Cover was missing.
Not having worked on this bike before, the question had to be asked, was it never there or had it relocated into the internals..
After searching every nook and cranny for hours. I decided to proceed with the valve adjustment and hope it would be found during the process. Otherwise the plan was to purchase one of those small inspection cameras. Not cheap but easier and cheaper than pulling heads etc.

Valve check and measurement progressed well considering this is the first triple I've done.

low and behold look what we have here

very relieved to have found the little bugger.

Now just waiting on shims to arrive in the mail

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Before I read your post, I looked at the picture and said to myself, "I sure hope he saw that dowel before he put the rocker cover back on."

One of the nice things about these Street Triple engines is that your can't drop something into the engine. The worst you can do is drop something down a spark plug hole and into the combustion chamber where you could likely get it out with a magnet.

You say you asked yourself if that dowel was never there to begin with. My conviction is that you can not assume that until you've taken absolutely everything apart where the dowel might have gone. Removing the head is a pain because you have to pull the engine first. So always plug the spark plug holes; as you've done.

Looks like you are doing a good job. I have a shim kit so I don't have to wait for shims or pay the high price for individual shims. It was around $75 and has paid for itself over the years.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Before I read your post, I looked at the picture and said to myself, "I sure hope he saw that dowel before he put the rocker cover back on."

One of the nice things about these Street Triple engines is that your can't drop something into the engine. The worst you can do is drop something down a spark plug hole and into the combustion chamber where you could likely get it out with a magnet.

You say you asked yourself if that dowel was never there to begin with. My conviction is that you can not assume that until you've taken absolutely everything apart where the dowel might have gone. Removing the head is a pain because you have to pull the engine first. So always plug the spark plug holes; as you've done.

Looks like you are doing a good job. I have a shim kit so I don't have to wait for shims or pay the high price for individual shims. It was around $75 and has paid for itself over the years.
Done many valve adjustments over the years, but this is my first triple, so have learn to take every precaution.
My previous bikes I've had shims kits, but haven't gone down that road yet for this bike. As neither of my closest dealers had stock, I ordering shims from Precision Shims in Croydon. Victoria, and was mighty impressed when they arrived in the mail the next afternoon, in Newcastle, New South Wales. Not only was it a quick turn around, but the shim ended up being $5 cheaper, even with express postage.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Today, I got all the controls adjusted to fit me better. Had to lower the shift lever, raise the rear brake lever, and adjust the clutch lever, and adjust the front brake levers as well. Then I noticed that it was a beautiful sunny afternoon, so I went to grab a bite to eat about 10 minutes down the road. I took the wrong exit though, so it took me a little longer than expected...

Meh, what's an extra 2.5 hours when you get to ride along the gulf coast most of the way?

1881 - 1900 of 1914 Posts