Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1730 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not for how to, or debate on products but just a general... what did you do/get done/install/buy/contemplate/where did you ride it kind of thread.

ive been building my parts wishlist for mine lately. seems like i find more to add to it every day

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Not a damned thing...we got 6" of snow, it was 11 degrees outside, and I'm on the other side of the country in 70 degree weather. It's like I died and skipped purgatory...:(
coing from someone who was born and raised in baltimore and is currently transplanted in northern california all of 2 hours away from Lake Tahoe i can tell you, our heatwave isnt all that fun. i want to be snowboarding!

winter in baltimore = get work done on the rides!

EDIT: when I closed this window and opened my email my shipping confirmation for my helmet showed up and its apparently being delivered tomorrow!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just performed the difficult install of an Icon reservoir sock :) As far as real updates I added a set of Arrow mirrors and have some Chinese levers on the way. I'll do a review of them when they come in.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Planning my install of the Street Triple R rear shock on my standard Street Triple.

Gotta figure out a way to relieve the tension on the rear shock in order to do the install. I don't have a way to hoist it up so I'm brainstorming. Might have to take it to a local shop.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Planning my install of the Street Triple R rear shock on my standard Street Triple.

Gotta figure out a way to relieve the tension on the rear shock in order to do the install. I don't have a way to hoist it up so I'm brainstorming. Might have to take it to a local shop.
Jaconrad, the R shock is night and day better than the stock. But make sure the shock will fit between models. The swingarm has a different mount on 13+ but the shocks may still interchange. Also my highest recommendations is to add a FLUX I or II plate. Take as much as the high rise rate out as possible, give a more linear feel (unless youre doing a lot of 2 up riding).

But for a "hoist" or holding system. Take your bike, put it on a center stand. Take your car jack ( bottle type jack or similar style works best) and put it on top of the tire and under the license plate mount. Raise the jack to add tension and then disassemble...

Its how I hold the rear up to change my rear shocks, linkage, or springs, etc.

·
Registered
648 Posts

When I swapped my rear shock, I put my bike up on the swing arm stand and put some small jack stands under the rider foot peg mounts and lowered the bike off the swing arm stand and onto the jack stands to relieve the pressure off the rear. There are also no issues with doing it the way mcarnold suggested either.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Jaconrad, the R shock is night and day better than the stock. But make sure the shock will fit between models. The swingarm has a different mount on 13+ but the shocks may still interchange. Also my highest recommendations is to add a FLUX I or II plate. Take as much as the high rise rate out as possible, give a more linear feel (unless youre doing a lot of 2 up riding).

But for a "hoist" or holding system. Take your bike, put it on a center stand. Take your car jack ( bottle type jack or similar style works best) and put it on top of the tire and under the license plate mount. Raise the jack to add tension and then disassemble...

Its how I hold the rear up to change my rear shocks, linkage, or springs, etc.
Great idea on the lift, but I don't have a center stand unfortunately. I could theoretically use my rear stand and then put the car jack on the tire, correct?

As for the shock, I got a 2013-2014 Street Triple R shock, so it should (fingers crossed) be a direct swap into my 2013 Street Triple.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
93 Posts
When I swapped my rear shock, I put my bike up on the swing arm stand and put some small jack stands under the rider foot peg mounts and lowered the bike off the swing arm stand and onto the jack stands to relieve the pressure off the rear. There are also no issues with doing it the way mcarnold suggested either.
I think I'm gonna try a hybrid between mcarnold's way (the car jack on top of the rear tire) and your way (using a swing arm stand).

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,437 Posts
However you can work out to support the rear of the bike is fine. Bike on paddock stand, jsck on tire pushing up on tail section should work well. Just use some wood or something to spread the load and make sure your bike is in gear!

:D

·
Registered
93 Posts
However you can work out to support the rear of the bike is fine. Bike on paddock stand, jsck on tire pushing up on tail section should work well. Just use some wood or something to spread the load and make sure your bike is in gear!

:D
Alright, tonight is the big night. Going to attempt my first shock install with my paddock stand and my jack on top of the wheel.

Wife is out on girls night for about 3 hours so that should give me all the time I need. :)

Should I start my suspension at the 9 clicks (standard) setting first and then adjust?

·
Premium Member
8,437 Posts
Definitely. There should be someone local to you knows a suspension guru. Unless you know what you are doing you can spend a long time chasing the right settings. Someone who knows what they are doing should be able to dial you in fairly quickly.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks, I'll have to find someone.

On the install front, turns out I don't have the right tools and putting the jack on my rear wheel makes me nervous (I feel like I'm gonna scratch the underside).

I'm just gonna take it to a local motorcycle shop and have them install it Saturday morning. They quoted me $75 an hour, or it could be less if it takes than the full hour.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
spent some time today shopping around for the exhaust i want to get. added a few more cosmetic bits to my wishlist and prioritized it a bit for when i can start purchasing

·
Registered
93 Posts
Okay, got the R shock installed this morning. Front forks are still the non-adjustable standard ones.

Bike feels a lot better, stiffer but quicker to soak up the bumps in the road. I'm 230lbs. geared up. I can definitely see if I were 80+ pounds lighter it would be a bit of a teeth-chattering ride with the R shock.

The guy who installed it said the rear is still too soft for me (after measuring the sag). I'm not sure if he's right or not, the bike feels just fine to me.

I'm definitely not a track guy, I just want a bike that has a nice linear feel and tracks well around corners. For now, I'm happy. As I ride it more, that may change.

If I do more changes, I'll get stiffer springs for the front and then stiffen the back.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Okay, got the R shock installed this morning. Front forks are still the non-adjustable standard ones.

Bike feels a lot better, stiffer but quicker to soak up the bumps in the road. I'm 230lbs. geared up. I can definitely see if I were 80+ pounds lighter it would be a bit of a teeth-chattering ride with the R shock.

The guy who installed it said the rear is still too soft for me (after measuring the sag). I'm not sure if he's right or not, the bike feels just fine to me.

I'm definitely not a track guy, I just want a bike that has a nice linear feel and tracks well around corners. For now, I'm happy. As I ride it more, that may change.

If I do more changes, I'll get stiffer springs for the front and then stiffen the back.
Sounds like all you need is a turn or two of pre-load on the new shock. That should get your sag about right.

1 - 20 of 1730 Posts