Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
7001 - 7020 of 7051 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Today I realised its been a full week since I last rode it. Last Saturday was good weather but I was busy helping my daughter select and test drive cars and then the storms rolled in on Sunday and they've just kept rolling in.

So I walked out to the garage and started it up. It fired but it was slower turning over than normal and probably did an extra rotation than it normally does. I let it run for about 5 minutes then shut it down and hooked up the optimate charger. Normally I don't bother with the charger since I'm usually riding it every few days and the battery gets topped up that way but I think the battery needs a bit of help right now.

We're hoping that the weather will be kind enough for a short ride tomorrow, fingers are crossed. Right now though the wind is howling and screaming through the verandah posts outside and the rain is lashing down into the windows and roof. Im a bit over it actually lol

Keef.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I know what you mean. Our upstate NY weather has been crazy 🤪. Just as I'm ready to ride, dark clouds arrive. Part of being a fair weather rider. Back in the day, no problem, I liked the dirt changing to mud! Only downfall was no brakes when wet...

·
Registered
311 Posts
I took a lass out pillion today, she said she fancied a rideout. 240miles around the Yorkshire Dales including the highest pub in the UK, The Tan Hill Inn at 1,732ft above ASL.

First time I've had a pilly on the GT & I'm half convinced it corners better two up than it does solo! She seemed to enjoy it too & we're off out again tomorrow...

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
It's satisfying to dismantle the bike, put it back together, and have it start up fine.
I got down to the fuel injectors to check the o-rings - my first time removing a fuel rail and injectors - pretty cool to seem 'em. After getting it back together it started and idled pretty well, meaning that I didn't miss a step in the reassembly process. I don't know if I did anything to solve the delayed start, though - the o-rings looked fine and I didn't have matching replacements, so back in they went.

·
Registered
102 Posts
It's a good feeling (sounds like Mr Rodgers) to reassemble with no damage or leaks. I'm sure the inherent cleaning did help. I'd try some fuel treatment/lubricant. Good Ole Marvel Mystery Oil seems to do it for me, it can't hurt. I'm waiting for it to stop raining.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
It's a good feeling (sounds like Mr Rodgers) to reassemble with no damage or leaks. I'm sure the inherent cleaning did help. I'd try some fuel treatment/lubricant. Good Ole Marvel Mystery Oil seems to do it for me, it can't hurt. I'm waiting for it to stop raining.
Thanks for reminding me ... I did put some Techron injector cleaner in the gas when first tackling this problem.
Funny your mention Mr. Rogers ... I grew up in Pittsburgh and worked in a popular photography shop near his home - I got to meet him there. I was not one to watch the show, but he was a very nice person, in person.

Back to the problem: If the injector o-rings go bad (harden, shrink due to age?), wouldn't some gas leak out along with the lowered pressure in the rail? I don't smell any gas.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I haven't had the luxury nor need to delve into Triumphs version. I've only dealt with some car fuel injection systems. I know gum and dirt from bad gas (namely ethanol) are the biggest enemies. Therefore filter, pump and sealing are major important. It sounds like you're doing everything right.... Fyi- My wife had us watch Mr Roger's movie, actually it was pretty good! Have fun...

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Oh yeah, so I bled the brakes yesterday and, for the first time, I'm trying the overnight zip tie method for squeezing the last bits of air out of the lines. Frankly I'm skeptical, but it's in my nature. 😸

·
Registered
687 Posts
No leaks, no squeaks, all seams well. The vent hoses are ten years old now and are getting a bit brittle. May need to replace them next time. Fuel and electrical connections are solid. I love my Sprint GT

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well I got some new handlebar risers and went to put them on and bike already had them... duh! No wonder the brake hose seemed a little close. Oh well. Found some dry weather and went for a nice cruise. Love the bike, man it loves to rev... powerband is perfect. Sprint GT 1050 rules!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Got ready to pack new panniers (supported by home-made support rails - one of this years 'quick' little projects) for the first time to go for a two-day trip with my wife...

...but then whilst selecting which toothbrushes to pack find we have to stay home and isolate for 10 days due to covid contact! 🤯

·
Registered
102 Posts
Rails and panniers looks good, I like the net tops for quick random storage to entertain the boss. Covid crap sucks, maybe some quick day trips in country to avoid contact with people. Enjoy?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Cool rails! How are they attached at the peg hanger? Is there an arm going down to the fender above the turn signal? (I see there's a bolt there ... can't see what the attachment is.)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Rails and panniers looks good, I like the net tops for quick random storage to entertain the boss. Covid crap sucks, maybe some quick day trips in country to avoid contact with people. Enjoy?
Cheers. Re country day trips - wouldn't want to sink to the level of some of our public figures here ! :)

Reactions: Daddy Mac

·
Registered
135 Posts
Cool rails! How are they attached at the peg hanger? Is there an arm going down to the fender above the turn signal? (I see there's a bolt there ... can't see what the attachment is.)
Thanks..! They blend in pretty well I think - I don't have the urge to take them off when not using anyway :)
I made a kind of S-shaped end which simply hooks around into the hole in the peg hanger and just hooks into the hollow backside of it, in the end there was no need to bolt it to the hanger - though I thought about doing it - it holds firm there anyway given the angles. Had to relocate the turn signals lower down to clear the undersides of the panniers (the side bolts are where they used to be). I reinforced the inside with a hastily fabricated aluminium bracket. I was going to spray it black, but I think it will soon blend in ;)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Today I double checked the injector o-rings and sure enough, I switched the dimensions for the upper and lower rings. 🙀 I'm still looking for generic o-rings as opposed to the Triumph branded ones but not having any luck ... I may resort to ordering the OEMs.

The real reason for diving under the tank was to install a new fuel filter. Done. The bike started and ran fine after my mechanicry ... looking forward to seeing how it performs tomorrow.

A collateral benefit of diving under the tank so much is that I'm much better at putting it back together. Between the fuel hoses, the tank tubes and the electrical connections it's easy to get 'em tangled up, or to forget reconnecting one. But now I'm a real pro! 😂

BTW, I'm noticing a little bit of oil making its way into the spark plug wells - it'd be good to install new gaskets. Anyone know if cam ladder gaskets from, say, Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki/Kawi will fit?

Reactions: HenryL and tbgt

·
Registered
2008 Sprint ST 1050 in Graphite
23 Posts
For my 2008 Sprint ST in graphite: I ordered an aftermarket exhaust w/ de-cat link pipe today. After that I went to disassemble the front end to take the headlight apart. The goal was to separate the lense from the housing to paint the silver piece black. When I got the headlight out, and started looking at the bulb/projector setup in there, and how good the lense was attached and not being sure what angle I should take to separate it, I got very anxious and uncomfortable with moving forward. Went to put it back together... and a total rookie move, I used an allen key socket on an impact driver to tighten down 1 of the 4 screws the holds the headlight to the front fairing. Well, it snapped the bracket coming off the fairing to connect to. This was pretty horrible because another one was already broken from the impact of my wreck. Luckily, the 2 of 4 brackets left are diagonal from each other. It did not feel very good on its own, but once everything was put back together and it received support from the fairing and fairingstay cockpit subframe thing etc, it feels fine. It shattered so there wasnt a good way to JB weld/plastic weld it back together. Put it everything back together and decided I would either a) be happy with what I have or b) try one of the laminix headlight films instead.

I always screw things up when I am in stressed conditions. Either late at night after work, or times like today, it was so hot (and muggy) and in 2 hours I had soaked my shirt and shorts with sweat out in the garage. Often the sweat was streaming down my face so fast I couldnt see clearly things I was trying to do with cables etc. I need to learn my lesson and only work on my babies when I am in a better place.

Took it out for a ride after, got it up to 130mph. Came home, spot cleaned it and waxed.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Took it out for a ride after, got it up to 130mph.
The last time I did that the velcro flaps gave way on my old jacket pockets, the pockets were sucked inside out and all the contents ejected. Had to go back down the road looking around for various minor items like doorkeys!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Last night I rode my GT in the dark for the first time.

Now I need to read the manual & find out how to adjust the headlights, as they are a bit too high.

7001 - 7020 of 7051 Posts