Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
6981 - 7000 of 7051 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Sprint ST 1050
16 Posts
Where did you find an OEM filter? My option is to go to a dealer 150 miles away and special order it for 3X the cost... Frustrating, parts are hard to find 🤯
I usually get my part numbers from BikeBandit.com and then check adeptpowersports.com for the part. Their prices seem to be a tad bit cheaper, they usually have the parts in stock (if they don't I go through bike bandit), and the shipping time is so much faster than bike bandit. I ordered a new center stand and kick stand spring at the same time (one from each place due to one not having both), and the one from adept showed up a week before the one from bike bandit shipped. When I did my cooling system flush and change, I ordered everything from adept. They had the OEM radiator cap, thermostat, and misc. o-rings and seals.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Where did you find an OEM filter? My option is to go to a dealer 150 miles away and special order it for 3X the cost... Frustrating, parts are hard to find 🤯
Ebay

·
Registered
102 Posts
I got mine from Advance Auto for less (don't remember) and that's the quality I got. Usually k&n is good but not for bikes....

·
Registered
2009 Sprint ST 1050
16 Posts
I got mine from Advance Auto for less (don't remember) and that's the quality I got. Usually k&n is good but not for bikes....
I keep hearing that about the K&N filters for our bikes. I have them in my Yamaha Tour Deluxe and love them. Think I'll stick with OEM for the Sprint unless someone knows of a better one that fits nice.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I keep hearing that about the K&N filters for our bikes. I have them in my Yamaha Tour Deluxe and love them. Think I'll stick with OEM for the Sprint unless someone knows of a better one that fits nice.
I got a K&N for my GT when I first got it. It didn't fit & wasn't even quite the right shape. It went back.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had the tank off, was committed and wanted to ride, so I made it fit. I'll get one of the Purolators for this winters service. It's at 30k miles so I'll be checking valves. Will I need a new valve cover gasket or will silicone do? Last winter when I did plugs, the top of the center one was wet on top with oil. Thanks guys....love this bike! I feel honored to maintain it and figure out what makes it tick.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I had the tank off, was committed and wanted to ride, so I made it fit. I'll get one of the Purolators for this winters service. It's at 30k miles so I'll be checking valves. Will I need a new valve cover gasket or will silicone do? Last winter when I did plugs, the top of the center one was wet on top with oil. Thanks guys....love this bike! I feel honored to maintain it and figure out what makes it tick.
I recently checked the valves on mine at ~43K miles - I didn't feel the need to replace the gasket, or add any sealant.

Reactions: tbgt

·
Registered
102 Posts
I was somewhat concerned about oil on top of center plug when I changed them last winter. The dealer I got it from had it a bit overfilled with oil when I got it. No leaks or usage or misfires, just curious. Did the valves require any adjustment at 43k?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I was somewhat concerned about oil on top of center plug when I changed them last winter. The dealer I got it from had it a bit overfilled with oil when I got it. No leaks or usage or misfires, just curious. Did the valves require any adjustment at 43k?
Nope! :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Oil on top of the plug is likely to just be the cam cover gasket not quite sealing around the plug hole rather than anything dangerous. Having said that if it's bad enough it can cause the plug to fail as the oil insulates it & the plug overheats.

Unless it was bad I wouldn't worry about it till the cam cover was off to check the valves though.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I haven't checked a parts list but is there a cam cover gasket for each plug or just one for all three? I should order it along with an air filter for this winters project. Not all gaskets are equal, any idea whom to avoid and a specific part number? Sounds like the Bike Bandit/Adept option is in order. Thanks, as we prepare to celebrate 🍾 our holiday here and also my 64th birthday 🎂🥳!

·
Registered
311 Posts
No idea tbh, not done the valves on my Sprint yet. On every other bike I've had open it's all been one gasket though.

·
Registered
742 Posts
is there a cam cover gasket for each plug or just one for all three?
I just checked bike bandit for ya, and pasted in the diagram and the part number/descriptions of the relevant seals. It looks like one for the overall cover and three individuals for the plugs. Googling the cam ladder seal part number indicates they come individually packaged (at around US$10ea)

2) Triumph SEAL,CAM COVER Part # T1261337
7) Triumph SEAL, CAM LADDER Part # T1261308

Meanwhile I retrieved my bike back from the Dealer in the city after its 120K service and cam chain renewal. It was actually ready on Wednesday, but we went into a snap-covid-lockdown on Tuesday and so it had to stay there until Saturday morning.
I've only ridden it the 50km home, since my daughter needed some help with new-car shopping so I spent the rest of the day researching cars that fit her desired characteristics and price point.
She was stopped at a traffic control point showing her ID to an officer a few weeks ago when the car behind drove into her. If you gotta have an accident, one where you are 100% complying with the law, and have the law as witness of that fact is the best way to go. As a bonus, she's been offered an insurance pay-out a coupla grand more than the what we would be able to attain as a trade-in. On the other hand - her financial plans didnt include replacing her car at the moment, and she's gunna have to pull money out of her mortgage-offset account to buy a new one.
She's been driving around in her 4.0litre (250ci) Ford Fairmont sedan for the last 8 years, and wants to replace it with another large 4 or 6cyl sedan. Today we made up a short list and went and test drove a VW Passat and a Mazda 6. The Passat was a 1.8Turbo, the Mazda was a 2.5 4cyl. On Monday she will head into the city with KG and check out a coupe of 3.6L V6 Passats.

By the way the Sprint feels and sounds smoother and a has a little more power.

cheers, Keef.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks for the info! You probably could've got another 8 yrs out of the straight 6 Fairmont, they are dependable but humble. An upgrade is due. Good luck car shopping, get one you can work on cuz you'll end up maintaining it more than likely! 😆

Best regards....Tim

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Champ87 was nice enough to give me a shift lever from a Yamaha YZ80 which I needed for lower pegs for Sir Costalot.
I glued a section of shrink wrap over the knurled section and it works out pretty well.
I have it a bit too low as I lost a lot of mechanical leverage so more fiddling is in order!
Thanks once again, Champ87!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Thanks for the info! You probably could've got another 8 yrs out of the straight 6 Fairmont, they are dependable but humble. An upgrade is due.
She had every intention to keep driving it for a few more years, but the insurance company declared it a write-off. From the surface there is little damage to see, just a small section of boot-lid ("trunk-lid" in America) which I reckon could be popped back out.
But, the sill below the boot opening got pushed-in or 'rolled over' to the point that the boot latch wouldn't catch in the lock until I used a crow-bar to twist it back out a bit. So there is probably more damage under the bumper bar and maybe in the boot-floor. My daughter mentioned that the smash repairers were worried that they wouldn't be able to get all the trim pieces for the back of the car, which is probably because the "Fairmont" version of these Fords (Falcon) were the mid-level luxury version of the car and less popular than the base or sporty (XR6) versions.
It just comes down to the fact that it was probably cheaper for the insurance company to pay her out than repair the car. Sad really but that's the way it goes.

Today we had another ton of rain come down, 40mm just south of us and there was even shallow flooding in some parts of the city. We've got another 4 weather fronts forecast for the week, so I cant see much riding happening until it eases off at the end of the week.

cheers, Keef.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Reading that weather forecast reminds me of this one coworker who used to walk around saying, "We're all going to die!" whenever something out of the ordinary happened.
He was right, he passed away last year.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Curses, foiled again! I got my GT 1 in handlebar risers from Moto-Cnc and went to put them on and it already has a set on it. No wonder the front brake line was snug. Oh well....

6981 - 7000 of 7051 Posts