Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
6961 - 6980 of 7051 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Good words to ride by (skip around the ads)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
The main thing I took from that is his lines looked crap around some of those bends. For example, a sharp right, he was near the centre & lent over the double white lines.
Thanks for the close observation, Hooli. Too bad you couldn't fine some fun in the video.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
indeed! How did you mount it to the bike?
Combination of Ram mounts and extensions (actually, just a Ram mount and an extension, but there are various possibilities).

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Oh I agree with some of what he said, about being in the right mindset, not tired etc.
I don't know who's featured riding in the video - sometimes Neeves (the speaker) sometimes another? Neeves is a veteran rider and trackday riding coach ... possibly raced? Anyway, he's a pretty knowledgeable guy and pretty reasonable reviewer, IMO.

·
Registered
311 Posts
TBH I don't read MCN so don't know who any of them are.

I did spend a day with one of them once, they'd offered a free day's advanced training as part of an article via a FB group so I did that. I got to pretend I couldn't ride around corners in a two page spread which mates still take the mickey for.

20200318_161231.jpg

·
Registered
2007 Sprint ST 1050
16 Posts
So I’ve been having a bit of fun with fairing repairs lately as the next thing to be done. Read all the advice on home repair ( def not buying new - sheesh) and read that heat or chemical are the means to deal with ABS.

Not willing to kill the soldering iron I followed lead after lead to obtain ABS cement. As I am not a plumber, trade purveyors politely told me to piss off, so I found a good trick.

ABS is softened by acetone - so I went to the local hardware store, bought a cheap white safety helmet in white, cut this into rough pieces and added to a glass jar with acetone. Stir, mix, add more etc until you get the consistency you need. Easy.

Next is some clay impressions of the tabs to replace and I’ll mould these on the weekend.

While these set I’ll clean the fairing in prep to join the original and newly fabricated. Yet to source paint for the visible cracks. I imagine I’ll have to sand to various grades before painting.

After that will be repair / replacing the plastic chrome inserts on the lower fairings.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I recently got sent a link to a special glue that works on ABS, or I think it does. It's for the plastics inside the clocks on my GSX1400.

I'll find the link & post it, it's only £5 from amazon so worth a try I'd say.

·
Registered
2007 Sprint ST 1050
16 Posts
I recently got sent a link to a special glue that works on ABS, or I think it does. It's for the plastics inside the clocks on my GSX1400.

I'll find the link & post it, it's only £5 from amazon so worth a try I'd say.
Thanks. I’ll take any info.

also added a quad lock for the iPhone. Drilled a hole through the stem cap and dropped the quad lock mount in with the vibration adaptor and the weatherproof wireless charger. It worked great last weekend keeping the phone charged and the navigation app running. I gave scenic a chance but didn’t get much joy, turned it off and just followed my nose, and then Waze to get home. Waze let me know about the 3 speed traps so that was handy.

·
Registered
227 Posts
popped a TPMS on to the 955 naked st yesterday - same model as the one on the st 1050. mounted to the top steering nut as no room to use the handlebar clamp mount - bars are full.

bit the bullet and got a packtalk slim the other week - so have been working on getting the garmin functionality into my phone --
I was using a stem mounted garmin with speed cameras and school zone alerts -
Given that garmin abandoned their phone app (ViaGo) and most of the options wanted are paid extras - that's not a viable option.

I played with a number of options - currently using AmiGo ( tom tom)
None seem to have school zones - or wont alert on loaded poi,s like the garmin would .
so have loaded GPS POI Alert - with school zone poi file - seems to work.

criteria for me are primarily -
speed zone / alert - over voice / audio
Camera alert / voice audio - Amigo announces the speed of the camera ..
school zone warning - audible
turn by turn nav if needed
as the phone is in pocket everything needs to be via the audio route.

For offline use - I either cache maps or use tom tom GO but generally I don't go out of mobile coverage on day to day riding.

will see how it goes-
now if I could just find a mixer to allow warnings not to interrupt music -

Rayman

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Okay okay, so my bike's been sitting since I returned from my southern excursion trip last week. I go out to start it today and it takes an uncomfortable amount of turning over, and two tries, to get it going. So my TBS operation, while needed, didn't solve the problem. I'm back to thinking it's losing pressure in the fuel rail, as has been mentioned. Seems like replacing the injector o-rings might be a good next step. Anyone know the size or part number by chance?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sad to hear about the delay in starting. I got a din adapter and some handlebar risers coming. I was looking into riser install and it seems like front brake line doesn't have any slack. Couldn't even see where the line goes with the fairing and all. Anybody know about the plumbing, does the line go to the an ABS unit that is easily moved? 🤔

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Sweet. The video looked great and the scenery must have made for a good ride!
Many good rides to be had in West Virginia!

·
Registered
2009 Sprint ST 1050
16 Posts
I was finally able to take the tank off and check the air filter on my '09 ST. Lets just say that it was a good thing that I checked. The filter was so dirty and black and the inside of the air box had baked on dirt. Took some time to clean it up a bit and replace the filter and air box gasket.

Do any of you have a good way to clean the back side of the engine? When I took the tank off, I noticed that it was so filthy and in need of a good clean.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Elbow grease... how well did you new air filter seal? On my 11 GT I know when I had the tank off last winter for plugs and air filter, my new k&n air filter fit like crap with warps and mis aligned channels. I ended up sealing with silicone...PITA!

·
Registered
2009 Sprint ST 1050
16 Posts
Elbow grease... how well did you new air filter seal? On my 11 GT I know when I had the tank off last winter for plugs and air filter, my new k&n air filter fit like crap with warps and mis aligned channels. I ended up sealing with silicone...PITA!
tbgt, I used an OEM filter so the fitment was as good as stock lol.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Where did you find an OEM filter? My option is to go to a dealer 150 miles away and special order it for 3X the cost... Frustrating, parts are hard to find 🤯

6961 - 6980 of 7051 Posts