Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

6661 - 6680 of 6704 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Sprint ST955i Aston Green, 2000 Speed Triple 955i Racing Yellow
6 Posts
Hi! I am checking how to upgrade the front light of my 955 ST MY’03, both for hi/lo position. From single bulb switched on to both bulbs switched on.

If I don’t remember bad, it should be only one relay that has to be changed... Does anyone remember which is the relay to be changed please?
Thanks, have a nice weekend!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Hi! I am checking how to upgrade the front light of my 955 ST MY’03, both for hi/lo position. From single bulb switched on to both bulbs switched on.

If I don’t remember bad, it should be only one relay that has to be changed... Does anyone remember which is the relay to be changed please?
Thanks, have a nice weekend!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Fortunately my US bike always had both lights on do I haven't need to do this operation. Someone smart will chime in. In the meantime do search here if you haven't.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Finally broke down and ordered a set of MFW Vario footpegs for Sir Costalot.
I decided to go with the 23mm drop as I'm afraid the 30mm drop might be just a little too much.
Hell getting old, stupid hips ain't what they used to be.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I made those changes myself, and my bike came with a bar conversion that I'm grateful for. I love my bike for being slightly aspirational, as in I'll race the twisties, but I rarely find myself on roads the inspire anything close to knee dragging. Even the country roads are at best gentle sweepers, so a lot of my riding is relatively commuter-like.

Regarding aches and pains: I've had hip and knee aches that I thought would force me to give up running after many years of competition. After a quick consultation with a friend who's an occupational therapist I discovered that, despite all my training, I needed to do specific strengthening for the quads and hip flexors, which led to further work on the hamstrings, the calfs and shin fronts. As we age we get increasingly sedentary (especially with time spent on computers) and lose essential muscle strength that can feel like joint pain. Anyway, I encourage you and everyone to do some basic strengthening exercises (easily found on YT) to keep yourself active without pain. That said, I'm still happy to have higher bars and lower pegs. :) (I do fantasize about a track day, and if that happens I'll switch back.)

Reactions: Steve Ford

·
Registered
269 Posts
I think a combination of some good stretching exercises along with a bit of leg room will do the trick.
I'll report back with the results.
unfortunately sometimes lower pegs mean your knees hit the fairings, a little annoying, answer is to use a sheep skin as it raises you up a little and is more comfy for cruising!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
You have a point ... we've been referring to our RS's here (half fairing).
Nice GT, btw. I'm guessing that color was only available outside the US?

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
I guess I'll find out this weekend as the parts are here.
I bought 2 Corbin seats for Sir Costalot hoping for a little more height.
Nope.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Thanks the color is only available at your local paint shop! re pegs, made quite a difference for long hauls but trouble with the GT seat is that you can't shift around much ( corban might be better) so I put the pegs back to normal for day to day ( or should that say week to week) riding. I'm 5 '10'' and 65, legs and hips never been a problem but my hands well thats another story altogether. Cheers

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I guess I'll find out this weekend as the parts are here.
I bought 2 Corbin seats for Sir Costalot hoping for a little more height.
Nope.
Well, they make them there beads! :) They'll add a bit to height. I've been tempted to try them myself for those hot & humid summer rides.
BTW, you bought two Corbins? Money's burning a hole in your pocket? :p

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Now that I think about it, 3.
One Gunfighter and then somehow I wound up with two Gunfighter and Lady seats (sold one of those).
They were all about the same height with the Gunfighter being the most comfortable.
They were all used and weren't that expensive.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Now that I think about it, 3.
One Gunfighter and then somehow I wound up with two Gunfighter and Lady seats (sold one of those).
They were all about the same height with the Gunfighter being the most comfortable.
They were all used and weren't that expensive.
I'm partial to Sargent seats myself, though I've only owned one, and I think it was a tad old. The build quality seems better to me.

·
Super Moderator
3,183 Posts
Having both a Sargent and a Corbin Gunfighter, I like the padding on the Sargent better.

Reactions: DaveM

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I found the Corbin 'butt pocket' put me too far aft. I like the Sargent better.

I love my 'Beadrider' seat cover! Steve, it might give you the height you want. And it really helps the butt-burn.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
I may have to give the beads a shot.
I don't know who designs some of those Corbin seats. I have long arms but not quite THAT long. Maybe they're thinking it's for room to move around on during long rides?
Either brand is fine with me. The Corbin GT seat is just incredible.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Its been a while since I posted any news about mods. Mainly because I wiped out my hobby fund back in October and I had to save up again, and also because the things I have bought have taken longer than anticipated to arrive. I'm still waiting for the October purchase which took a while to get made, but it's finally on its way, and is currently sitting in Sydney awaiting customs clearance.
However, a few weeks ago I found that JayBeeBikerBits have started selling Titanium pinch bolts for Triumph rear hubs and I ordered one.
I've been looking for a hub bolt since I saw one in an ad from Component Engineering about a year ago, but they sold their last one in Feb 2019 and haven't relisted them.
I've looked for other M14 bolts (Triumph's part # T3331720, Bolt,HHF,M14x1.5x40mm) but mostly just found wheel nuts for cars. Titan Classics do a 55mm long bolt for Honda hubs but that's 15mm too long and the unthreaded section of the bolt extends too far.
But today the JBBB bolt arrived. Its a fancy thing with 12-point, cross drilled head and a hollow stem. Its weight of 25g is 43g less than the OEM steel one. It went in without any trouble.

Heres some pics:
20210127_1_Hub Pinchbolt comparison.jpg Side by side comparison of the OEM and JBBB Ti bolts
20210127_2_OEM Hubbolt 68g.jpg OEM bolt on the scales at 68g.
20210127_3_JBBB Ti Hub Bolt 25g.jpg Ti bolt on the scales at 25g

Yesterday I experimented pulling apart the rear caliper carrier from the spare bike, more on that in the next post...

cheers, keef.

·
Registered
660 Posts
As mentioned above, yesterday I experimented with pulling the sliding bolts out of the rear caliper carrier bracket from my parts bike.
I have seen posts from off-road forums describing overhauling these pins on other bikes, however the arrangement on the Triumph-Nissin caliper is a little different to what I have seen elsewhere.

So here goes:
Unbolt the rear caliper unit from the swingarm, remove the pad pins (usually best to loosen the pad-pins before unbolting the carrier), remove the pads and then slide the carrier away from the caliper body.
20210125_1_Rr Caliper carrier.jpg Carrier removed from caliper body.

The smaller of the pins can be removed with a 12mm Spanner:
20210125_2_Rr Caliper 12mm Spanner.jpg

The larger pin is a little more complicated, it is pressed into a keyed-way and then a retainer is screwed onto the other side, so it must be removed in the reverse order. 1/ Remove the retainer with a 6mm hex-key, then 2/ Press the pin out.
20210125_3_Rr Caliper 6mm Hexkey.jpg 20210125_4_Rr Caliper Endcap off.jpg removing retainer with 6mm hex-key.

20210125_6_Rr Caliper pin pressout setup.jpg 20210125_8_Caliper pin pressout.jpg Pressing-out large pin with 32mm socket and vice.

Carrier and pins separated. In hind sight, I should have taken a pic showing the 'keyed-way' in the big-pin's hole, but it basically looks like a capital "D" rather then a perfect "O" shape.

20210125_9_Rr Caliper Carrier dissassembled.jpg

Re-assembly is the reverse procedure.

cheers, keef.

·
Registered
'05 Sprint ST
175 Posts
Fitted LED indicators, sounds easy enough but this is a 15 year old machine...
Gacked screw heads on the left mirror meant the whole thing had to come off and the datatool alarm made my ears ring a few times, and the front nut dropped in to the fairing:ROFLMAO:
Then the right fairing had 3 broken tabs, and revealed some ***!!! wiring, the last owner was an engineer not an electrician (I'm a former car mechanic and very picky about wiring being right, I hate electrical faults)
And the tail's lower bolt on the cover piece pulled it's brass insert out of the plastic, lucky I had a spare number plate hanger assembly which I bought for the bracket, just in case I had to re-fit a standard exhaust.. Rizoma Aveo 21 indicators in gold were a bargain I couldn't resist and fit with the gold powder coated wheels.

For Cheap Chinese LED's these are not bad (Auxito brand from eBay)
Excuse the mess...
[video]

·
Registered
660 Posts
Today KG and I went on a 350km ride with our group out east towards Quindanning, then south and west to Collie for lunch and then back home. The ride was led by a guy who just sold his Multistrada and picked up an orange 2008 Tiger1050 two days ago.
Other bikes on the run included KG's Monster, a Thunderbird, a Trophy, a Tiger 800, an FZ1, a Blackbird 1100 and a Harley Davidson something or other.
20210131_Collie run2.jpg Most of the bikes at meetup point.

After our first stop at Dwellingup, the Tiger 800, FZ1, Blackbird and Harley left the ride and a midsized V-Star joined us. Which left four Triumphs, KG's Monster and the V-Star for the remainder of the run.
20210131_Collie run3.jpg Tiger, Monster, T-bird and Trophy at regroup point outside Collie.

The V-star rider is very conservative (Typically running 15-20Km/h under the limit) so the rest of us had time to take pictures when corner marking and we had a regroup stop before entering the town of Collie. The pic below was taken while corner marking the Quindanning-Darkin and Collie-Williams Road intersection (We have very imaginative road names in this area. :)

20210131_Collie run1.jpg

Anyhow we had a great day with some nice paced runs on some fun roads.

cheers, keef.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Am I the only one who feels the traffic here at Triumphrat is quite slower than in the past? Granted, I don't visit too many threads myself, but the ones I do visit have visibly less participation than, say, a year ago. Maybe it's just winter, here. Thanks to keef and the riders in OZ for being active.

Okay, what have I done to my bike? Not much - it's been covered in snow (bike cover, for sure). I've been playing with the solar charger for trickle charging - I'm afraid to simply leave it plugged in as it doesn't have a regulator on it. Maybe it puts out enough charge to harm the battery?

It is getting to be that time of year when I think of riding trips I might do when the weather gets better. Maybe West Virginia? Down through KY and TN? Maybe? I've been itching to visit Alabama (Barber museum for one thing), but that's a hell of a ride - nearly 1K miles. Anyway, just dreamin'

6661 - 6680 of 6704 Posts