Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

6641 - 6660 of 6704 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Yes, I'm surprised to read about your PR5 misgivings .... all I ever see about them is positive (still didn't convince me to drop the extra $$ for them - happy with my Dunlops).

·
Registered
660 Posts
Myself and several other Triumph riders that I know, have experienced the back end 'let-go' when tipping into corners on our first rear R5 tyres. Not at first but after we had a few thousand kilometers on them. I have been happily using Pilot Road tyres since I first switched from Battle-Ax to the PR2 (after reading about them on this forum) many years ago. I have stuck with the brand through transitions to PR3 and PR4

Instead of the progressive 'roll-over' that the PR4's give, the R5's felt like they would momentarily skip and re-catch further over than we were really planning to go.
At first I thought it was just myself, and maybe due to road conditions until I heard a friend's pillion telling the rider how it had frightened her. Once we started discussing several others joined in with similar observations.
We had a look at the tyre profiles, and it seems that the soft portion of the compound (on the shoulders) had worn away more than the harder portions, leaving a sort of concave depression, (very slight but noticeable when we were looking for an explanation).
We are not hearing the same problems from riders in other areas, but our state is hotter and drier than most places and the rural roads are made of course chipped granite/quartz (known as blue-metal) stuck together with asphalt. Vehicle tyres are basically in contact with more rock than bitumen on these roads. It is possible the R5 construction doesn't wear well under these conditions. Maybe there was a 'bad batch' and we got them all?
Anyhow these are the observations of myself and some friends. We have been long standing fans of the Pilot Road series of tyres, but do not like the R5 rears. We tried them and went back to PR4's, then PR4GT's when the base ones sold out, and now that they are also sold out we are moving to Pirelli Angel GTII's. Maybe they will be worse, but I will be the 3rd of our group to try them and the other guys reckon they track/feel fine.

Obviously the R5's would have been extensively tested by Michelin in a lot of places and conditions and many people will find them better, but for some reason they are wearing badly HERE. So, we're trying a different product and just maybe explaining the cause of what some other people may be experiencing.

Cheers, keef.

·
Premium Member
24,373 Posts
Obviously the R5's would have been extensively tested by Michelin in a lot of places and conditions and many people will find them better, but for some reason they are wearing badly HERE. So, we're trying a different product and just maybe explaining the cause of what some other people may be experiencing.

Cheers, keef.
Hi mate

I am like you been riding on the PR's for much the whole range, I'm down in Brisbane and have recently shod my '04 Daytona 955i with the R5 and have not experienced any issues yet.
I ride pretty much only in the hills and back roads.

cheers
DaveM:)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Mike,
Did you ever get that baffle out?
I tried a bit before installing and never managed to get it free. I was going to relook at it during the summer and honestly lost interest because the sound as it is it’s is pretty much perfect for what I want the bike to sound like.

Now I just need to get TMod to answer my PM and finally get my suspension in to be redone and it’ll be the perfect mount. I got the go ahead from the wife to buy another bike if I wanted to (she gets very attached to things) but I think with a respring it will be good another couple years and maybe by then something else will be out. The Tracer GT is looking very cool, however.

Myself and several other Triumph riders that I know, have experienced the back end 'let-go' when tipping into corners on our first rear R5 tyres. Not at first but after we had a few thousand kilometers on them. I have been happily using Pilot Road tyres since I first switched from Battle-Ax to the PR2 (after reading about them on this forum) many years ago. I have stuck with the brand through transitions to PR3 and PR4

Instead of the progressive 'roll-over' that the PR4's give, the R5's felt like they would momentarily skip and re-catch further over than we were really planning to go.
At first I thought it was just myself, and maybe due to road conditions until I heard a friend's pillion telling the rider how it had frightened her. Once we started discussing several others joined in with similar observations.
We had a look at the tyre profiles, and it seems that the soft portion of the compound (on the shoulders) had worn away more than the harder portions, leaving a sort of concave depression, (very slight but noticeable when we were looking for an explanation).
We are not hearing the same problems from riders in other areas, but our state is hotter and drier than most places and the rural roads are made of course chipped granite/quartz (known as blue-metal) stuck together with asphalt. Vehicle tyres are basically in contact with more rock than bitumen on these roads. It is possible the R5 construction doesn't wear well under these conditions. Maybe there was a 'bad batch' and we got them all?
Anyhow these are the observations of myself and some friends. We have been long standing fans of the Pilot Road series of tyres, but do not like the R5 rears. We tried them and went back to PR4's, then PR4GT's when the base ones sold out, and now that they are also sold out we are moving to Pirelli Angel GTII's. Maybe they will be worse, but I will be the 3rd of our group to try them and the other guys reckon they track/feel fine.

Cheers, keef.
Thanks for the thoughtful response. You could be onto something with the excessive heat and rough surface of the roads. That’s always something that factors into tire wear that can be “unexplained differences” between how two people find the same thing different.

Two things I find interesting from your post:

1.The mention of “Triumph riders” specifically. Is that because that’s all that have noticed it or is that only because that’s who you ride with? In other words, is it a Triumph only thing, rider thing, riding group thing or something else.

2. The strange “tip in” feeling with the 5 because the one negative with the PR4 I had was the “flat” rear profile compared to the PR5 which was a more typical round U shaped profile makes the bike tips in very neutral. The 4 always dropped in weird in my experience. I have around 4,000 miles on the PR5 and it’s flattening out a bit but still never gives the “drop in” feeling I always had with the 4.

I’m not looking for a response at all, my thoughts are rhetorical, but simply stating what I feel after reading yours which again prove how personal tire choice can be and how many factors go into tires. My dad ran a set of PR5s on his FZ1 and didn’t care for them, I think he’s switching to Avon’s this year, because he wore the front out way before the rear and the tires started handling weird towards the end of their life. I think he had like 12,000 or 15,000 miles on them but they were completely shot by then and he said funky handling the last few thousand miles.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I bought a cheap ($18) solar trickle charger ... trying it out now, though it's grey skies these days. Can't hurt I'm guessing.

·
Registered
660 Posts
1.The mention of “Triumph riders” specifically. Is that because that’s all that have noticed it or is that only because that’s who you ride with? In other words, is it a Triumph only thing, rider thing, riding group thing or something else.
I ride with a varied group of bikes, and within that group are a hand-full of Sport-Touring Triumph owners, including Trophy900, Sprint 955, Sprint 1050 ST, GT and Tiger Sport.
Among this sub-group we discuss mods, improvements, problems and solutions that affect our similar bikes, including this apparent issue with the handling characteristics of the R5 rear tyres.
I'm not sure if the owners of the other brands/models in our riding group have experienced similar issues or not. Many of them run different tyres and/or ride differently. The conversations within the overall group are pretty fluid, and other brand riders will have been involved in some of the conversations, but not all of them.

The issue is not the rate of the tip-in. Its the feeling that the tyre lets-go momentarily and skips/slides outwards after the tip-in has been initiated before re-catching again. The skip causes the rear end to flick further out than intended and the bike falls or lurches much further than expected. This severely unsettles the bike. It seems to be caused by the soft compound section of the tyre wearing away more rapidly than the hard compound.

cheers, keef.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I ride with a varied group of bikes, and within that group are a hand-full of Sport-Touring Triumph owners, including Trophy900, Sprint 955, Sprint 1050 ST, GT and Tiger Sport.
Among this sub-group we discuss mods, improvements, problems and solutions that affect our similar bikes, including this apparent issue with the handling characteristics of the R5 rear tyres.
I'm not sure if the owners of the other brands/models in our riding group have experienced similar issues or not. Many of them run different tyres and/or ride differently. The conversations within the overall group are pretty fluid, and other brand riders will have been involved in some of the conversations, but not all of them.

The issue is not the rate of the tip-in. Its the feeling that the tyre lets-go momentarily and skips/slides outwards after the tip-in has been initiated before re-catching again. The skip causes the rear end to flick further out than intended and the bike falls or lurches much further than expected. This severely unsettles the bike. It seems to be caused by the soft compound section of the tyre wearing away more rapidly than the hard compound.

cheers, keef.
Thanks, so it may be a Triumph thing then, may not. I'll have to ask my dad what his issues were with the PR5 at the end of it's life

I guess I misinterpreted from this statement

the term "progressive roll-over" as more of the "tip in" rollover of the flat profile the PR4 had vs. the consistent U shape tip in of the PR5 more than a "skipping" feeling. I have to say I can "feel" the transition from the hard rubber to the soft side rubber when pushing hard but it's never been unsettling and to me feels like the bike digs in more not getting loose.

Interesting, I may try another tire altogether this season and see if that feeling goes away.

Cheers!!!

·
Registered
2007 Sprint ST
4 Posts
Hi there
Having only got my bike 4 days ago, it was time to bend the bike to my fit.
I adjusted the brake and gear lever distance to me, added a little preload to the front forks, took some off the rear. Went to go for a quick ride and it started to pelt down rain.
So maybe tomorrow to test the new feel and settings.

Cheers!

·
Registered
269 Posts
CheefKeef I had that exact same problem on my Angels after they had worn in the middle ( Sydney to Perth) , I thought that there was something drastically wrong with the bike, then got Pattersons to fit new RP5s with balancing beads and wow what a difference!, they've only done about 8000Kls so far still great. I used to have a lot of problems going around right hand round a bouts, none anymore. Wouldn't mind catching up one day to see your mods. Cheers Bob Dunsborough

·
Registered
660 Posts
I had that exact same problem on my Angels after they had worn in the middle
Well, I have an Angel GTII on the rear wheel now, done a shorty 200km ride with it on Tuesday. I don't have a lot to say about it yet, since I was taking it a bit easy and trying to scrub in the edges gradually. I'm hoping it works out OK, if not I'll try something else at next change, but that will probably be about 6 months time, maybe longer now that I'm working from home a lot and have reduced my 360km weekly commute down to eff-all.
then got Pattersons to fit new RP5
I have a lot of respect for Pattersons, they seem to be good decent people. They are the ones that gave freely of their time, expertise and advice when we took KG's Monster 1100 to them after its engine seized, and also hooked us up with a customer of theirs who had the 796 we later bought.
I'm hoping to get down south for a few rides soon, but ill wait for this damned heatwave to pass first. Ill send you a PM when it looks like we're heading that way and hopefully we can hook up.

cheers, keef.

·
Super Moderator
3,183 Posts
Happy new year to you fine people. I just returned from a 13 state, 5400 mile, 3 week trip to relax at a new acquisition in SW Florida. Was lucky to drive the new-to-me Lexus, but I am so glad to ve home. My poor bikes look like they missed me. Hopefully I can get some miles on them between snowstorms

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
453 Posts
Heated grips and gloves for me also. I most often wear the battery heated gloves which last about 4 hours on the medium setting but for longer trips I wear 12 volt gloves plugged into my heated vest sleeves and controlled by a heat troller. Both sets are waterproof. I'm riding my Suzuki this winter and suffering from cold feet after a few hours so may have to shop for warmer socks or boots.
I can't recall the brand but I had a heated vest with connections for gloves and boot insoles. I never bought the extras and didn't use the best enough so sold it on ebay.

Perhaps your vest can also support insoles?

·
Registered
400 Posts
I can't recall the brand but I had a heated vest with connections for gloves and boot insoles. I never bought the extras and didn't use the best enough so sold it on ebay.

Perhaps your vest can also support insoles?
I've not seen any heated insoles when searching for heated gear but I would not have boot room for such anyway and my vest only has the glove wiring as extra. The temp rarely gets below 0 C here so I'll likely just make do or end up buying a larger fit riding boot and wear warmer socks.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I remembered the brand
I've not seen any heated insoles when searching for heated gear but I would not have boot room for such anyway and my vest only has the glove wiring as extra. The temp rarely gets below 0 C here so I'll likely just make do or end up buying a larger fit riding boot and wear warmer socks.
I remembered the brand. It was Keis. Some of their vests have connections for inner gloves and insoles

Same here. Its rarely cold enough and with a base layer and lined suit, I'm never cold enough to need the heat

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Happy new year to you fine people. I just returned from a 13 state, 5400 mile, 3 week trip to relax at a new acquisition in SW Florida. Was lucky to drive the new-to-me Lexus, but I am so glad to ve home. My poor bikes look like they missed me. Hopefully I can get some miles on them between snowstorms

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Happy New Year, Scottie! And everyone!
You had me there for a bit ... I thought you'd done 5400 miles on one of your bikes and I was scratching my head. :D I've got a good friend who lives in Fort Myers, FL ... talk about flat! Quite the contrast from CO!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Has anyone figured out a replacement for the OEM toolkit pouch that will still fit in the standard location?

·
Super Moderator
3,183 Posts
Has anyone figured out a replacement for the OEM toolkit pouch that will still fit in the standard location?
I have small Kriega roll that just fits in there. The hard part is that it gets thick. I've also just used a dish towel with my tools rolled into it, for that space.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I have small Kriega roll that just fits in there. The hard part is that it gets thick. I've also just used a dish towel with my tools rolled into it, for that space.
Reminds me of another need ... the toolkit strap. After nearly 20 years the rubber is cracking. I haven't figured out a replacement yet. Maybe it's time to give up storing tools there.

6641 - 6660 of 6704 Posts