Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

6601 - 6604 of 6604 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Well todays weather started looking no better than yesterdays, so the drive pin project got done instead. While we were at it we weighed a few other things which answered another mystery.

So firstly, some pics of the drive pins being replaced:

20201115_GT pins undone.jpg 1/ Allen head screws removed from the rear of the original pins.

20201115_Pin Press out.jpg 2/ Old pin (bottom of pic) being pressed out using 6mm socket to push the pin through the flange and into the void of 15mm socket on the other side.

20201115_GT std axl wght.jpg 3/ At this point I remembered that I wanted to weigh the GT axle in standard form and compare to the ST axle in standard form..... so I placed the OEM pins on the flange and found the GT axle weighed 1710g. I then went and got the ST axle and weighed it (sorry no pic) and found it weighed 1818g. So a standard GT axle weighs 108g less than an ST axle (both with OEM drive pins).

20201115_OEM pin wght.jpg 4/ Weight of 5x OEM drive pins = 87g

20201115_Ti pin wght.jpg 5/ Weight of 5x Titan Classics Ti pins = 47g

20201115_Pin Press in.jpg 6/ New Drive pin (bottom of pic) being pressed back into the axle-flange using yet another socket, 12mm from memory, to fit around the pin body without touching and apply pressure to pin-base. This is the second one, the first can be seen already pressed in at the top of the flange.

All up the job took us about 3 hours, but we weren't in a hurry and we diverted our attention a few of times to find out things (like the weight of the ST axle). I also weighed the old ST rear shock and the GT shock that I tried and rejected (before going Wilbers 641) and was surprised to see a difference of nearly 450g (4445-3997=448g). The GT has a remote preload adjuster but I guess most of the weight is in the stronger spring. I wish I had weighed the Wilbers shock before it went in.... but its staying unweighed until it needs to come out for some reason.

I gave the bike a quick 15km test ride and it all feels good. It doesn't feel noticeably different than it did before the test ride, but the bike feels a lot different to how it did a year ago, much smoother and composed at speed over rough surfaces.
Since last year the rear axle has had 1.68kg (3.7lb) worth of rotating mass removed, and the front axle has had 1.07kg (2.3lb) removed.
Im basically out of candidates for rotating mass now and will focus on reducing Unsprung weight from the suspension. So far 400g has been removed from the front and 72g from the rear (mainly through Ti Caliper pistons and bolts).

The mystery that got answered today was finding some of the 'missing' weight savings between the claimed 1kg (2.2lb) weight saving of the GT rear wheel over the ST rear wheel that was touted in various press articles at the time the GT was released and the actual 700g difference that I found when weighing the wheels that I have (5.1kg vs 5.8kg). With the additional 108g difference in the axles the total now equals 808g, which is less than 200g and not far off the +/-100g accuracy of the bathroom scales I used to weigh the rims in the first place.

One last pic from last week:
20201103_M5 midpipes.jpg KG's Monster also benefited from a bit of nifty weight reduction. Here we replaced the 796 exhaust midpipe with one from a parted-out 659 that comes without the exhaust valve built into it. We benefitted 4 ways: Less exhaust restriction, less weight (412g), less hot metal situated under the seat, and lastly: a much simpler job wrapping the pipes to insulate the frame from the exhaust heat. All for the princely sum of AU$70 delivered.

Cheers, Keef.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Took the Yellow Banana out for a spin and then did the same 50 miles loop on the GT.
GT started running on 2 1/2 cylinders so some fresh gas and some Chevon Tektron and things seem to be better.
Thing actually died pulling out into traffic which wasn't very comforting!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Went on a 100km ride with KG today and a 412km ride with friends yesterday.
I was working with a new guy from interstate during the week and he told me he had just picked up a new Rocket-3 two weeks ago and so far had done a run down to Margaret River (which is mostly a freeway run). So by Thursday (after giving myself enough time to be reasonably sure I wasn't making a social mistake) I decided I'd offer to take him out for a ride on some more interesting roads.
He seemed keen so I got KG to put the word out and we ended up with 6 bikes for a run out through Pinjarra, Dwellingup (coffee), Quindanning (lunch), Williams (fuel), Boddington (pics), and returning through Quindanning and Dwellingup again.
He's here until January, so we'll probably show him some more places before he goes back east.

Today's ride was to further fine tune the rebound damping on KG's Monster. We stopped a few times to first increase and then partially ease off the damping iaw feedback she was giving me. We had lunch at the Premier hotel in Pinjarra followed by a run up North Spur to Dwellingup for an icecream and then home via Del Park Way and the Corio Road bends.

cheers, Keef.

20201121_Bod Board.jpg Tourist Board at gold-mining town Boddington
20201121_Bod stop.jpg Bikes at Boddington.
20201122_Pinjarra premier.jpg Lunchbreak at Premier Hotel, Pinjarra

20201122_Dwell stop.jpg Icecream stop at Dwellingup

·
Registered
638 Posts
20201125_Rizoma axle slider.jpg

Installed a new Rizoma axle slider. It has a slightly smaller, but matching cone for the LHS too. (It was listed as a Speed Triple axle slider (PW462A)

20201125_Rizoma LHS.jpg

Keef.

6601 - 6604 of 6604 Posts