Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

6501 - 6520 of 6543 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've done my valve clearances 3 times now and always reused the seals. So far, no leaks but they did seem to be harder this last time so I'll probably change them at the 48k check
Tried to reuse a set for the 2nd time (long time back), all looked fine running bike on stand but 30 mins on the motorway started a leak from the back that eventually pooled under the throttle bodies and then found its way to drip onto one side of the back tyre. Saw it when I stopped for petrol before getting into the twisties over Exmoor. Lucky escape. Since then it's new every time - maybe '09 is kinder than '00 in that department!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Nothing exciting, just changed spark plugs and air filter. I seem to get my filter pretty dirty in about 7,000 miles. It still has a lot of area that is not really filthy, but the center is a mess, could have extended it to 10K. Aside from routine service stuff and consumables, I have not had to do much to the bike in 43,000 miles, even has original chain with no tight spots and the sprockets show no sign of shark teeth. It just starts and runs like new. Hope it outlasts me.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Nothing exciting, just changed spark plugs and air filter. I seem to get my filter pretty dirty in about 7,000 miles. It still has a lot of area that is not really filthy, but the center is a mess, could have extended it to 10K. Aside from routine service stuff and consumables, I have not had to do much to the bike in 43,000 miles, even has original chain with no tight spots and the sprockets show no sign of shark teeth. It just starts and runs like new. Hope it outlasts me.
😲 Wow! To what do you attribute such a long chain life? Are you religious about chain maintenance?

·
Registered
289 Posts
😲 Wow! To what do you attribute such a long chain life? Are you religious about chain maintenance?
(Putting on my asbestos suit) I do nothing aside from spray the chain down with WD-40 every time I fill up with gas, have been doing this for over a decade. My first Sprint, a 98 Exec, ate through its OEM chain in about 10K miles when I religiously used the chain lube recommended by the dealer and the gears had extreme shark's teeth. PJ Blue, or something like that. After that, I just used a WD-40 rinse, got about 35K miles on its second chain and the third was in good condition after another 30K miles when I got rid of the bike. Works for me. I frequently check chain slack and look for tight spots. I have not adjusted the current chain in over 10K miles, still has the same slack.

·
Registered
412 Posts
(Putting on my asbestos suit) I do nothing aside from spray the chain down with WD-40 every time I fill up with gas, have been doing this for over a decade. My first Sprint, a 98 Exec, ate through its OEM chain in about 10K miles when I religiously used the chain lube recommended by the dealer and the gears had extreme shark's teeth. PJ Blue, or something like that. After that, I just used a WD-40 rinse, got about 35K miles on its second chain and the third was in good condition after another 30K miles when I got rid of the bike. Works for me. I frequently check chain slack and look for tight spots. I have not adjusted the current chain in over 10K miles, still has the same slack.
😯 all the years using chain lube!

·
Registered
289 Posts
😯 all the years using chain lube!
Long time ago chains had no seals on the links and cleaning and lube was important and filthy. O-ring and X-ring chains seal the bearing surfaces and I THINK WD-40 works by washing grit out from the seal area to maintain it. Kerosene might work too, but WD-40 is convenient.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
At the risk of opening a can of worms ... here are two Fortnine videos about chain cleaning and lubing. I rode with a guy years ago who also used WD-40 after every ride, with resulting long chain life. Fortnine argues (demonstrates?) that WD-40 can reduce the lifespan of the o-rings (your experience defies this). As for lube, he argues that gear oil has good staying power (doesn't fling off). I found a can of silicone spray in my stash of stuff so I took it with me on last weekend's Adirondack ride. We'll see.
Chain lubes:
Chain cleaners:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts

Reactions: JohnnyR88 and DaveM

·
Registered
603 Posts
Today I helped a friend replace his Tiger Sport's 18-Tooth front sprocket with a 19-Tooth one. A few weeks ago I also helped him replace his 45-Tooth rear sprocket with a 43-Tooth. His Tiger now has the same gearing as my Sprint (I replaced my 42-Tooth rear with a 43 earlier this year).

Before he bought his current Tiger, he was running a Sprint GT (19/42 with a higher 6th gear) and he wanted to get the Tiger revving more like the GT at highway speeds. We tried to fit a 42 on the rear first, but we couldn't adjust the chain enough to take up the extra slack, so we compromised with a 43.

We mounted my GPS on his bike to check the speedo-error on both occasions, and last time when we changed the rear sprocket the speedo showed 5% error at 100km/h (showing 105 on the speedo at 100 on the GPS).
So I attempted to adjust his speedo correction factor with Tuneecu (running the 2.2version) as I have done with both my own '08ST and another friends '11GT. Although I was able to see the diagnostic readouts, I was unable to 'read' the map so it could be edited. I was also unable to read the appropriate map from the Tuneecu site as well and figured it was something to do with compatibility between my Tuneecu 2.2 version and newer maps.

So I anticipated that since we changed the front sprocket today and increased the gearing again, the speedo error should be about right. But, when he test rode the bike, the speedo error remained the same as last time.

My wife is currently on her third Ducati Monster. The first two (695/696) ran a feed from a sensor on the rear hub, and her latest one (1100evo) runs feeds from both ABS sensor rings, which are then combined in the ABS module and sent to the ecu (We fitted Speedo-healers to all of them and the Evo's one had to be spliced into the feed between the ABS and ECU).

It seems logical that the Tiger is using a similar setup to the Monster, and changing sprockets has no effect on the speedo accuracy. At least the Tiger' 5% error is less than the Monster's designed-in error, which according to its handbook is set at 8%).

Cheers, Keef.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Today I went on a shortish 'cafe' ride with my usual mob. We grade our rides and this was supposed to be an 'easy' ride. But since all the riders that turned up were experienced and competent it ended up being faster and more fun than expected. We usually ride Sundays as well, but a massive storm blew in this evening and is expected to last all of tonight and most of tomorrow.

This afternoon, between the ride and the storm, I spent a bit of time on my next project. I pulled the calipers off the old Sprint in the back shed, and set about replacing the pistons, pinch bolts and bleed screws with new titanium ones I bought from Titan Classics. This has all been a slight gamble, since the kit is marketed as being for Suzuki RF900, GSXR750, and Bandit1200 but I did about a month's worth of cross-checking posts in this forum, parts catalogs and component vendors to verify that these Suzukis use the same Nissin 30 & 34mm pistons as the Sprint 955is and 1050's before I became confident enough to take the plunge.
(https://titanclassics.com/product/titanium-front-caliper-piston-kit-with-seals-and-titanium-parts/)

20200815_Titan Classic Ti Caliper piston.jpg

20200815_Caliper Start.jpg Before Starting
20200815_Calipers Split.jpg First caliper Separated
20200815_Piston pliers.jpg Removing Piston with Piston Pliers
20200815_Old and new.jpg New versus old comparison
20200815_2nd Pair in.jpg New pistons (and seals) fitted
20200815_RH Caliper done.jpg Finished RHS.

We managed to finish building both of them before the storm rolled in. All went well except the bleed screws which were included in the kit have the wrong thread pitch, so the originals went back in.

An interesting hurdle was that torque values for all the caliper attachments except the caliper pinch-bolts are included in the Sprint Service manual, which actually has a safety warning not to split the calipers. But the Thunderbird and Rocket 3 use the same pistons in calipers that are almost identical. Their service manuals include the procedure for separating the calipers and give the torque value for the pinch bolts as 24Nm.

Hopefully I will be able to fit, bleed and test the new brakes during the week.

Cheers, Keef.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Back when I took apart my calipers, the only 'gotcha' I ran across was the little seal between the two 'halves' of the caliper body. I didn't even notice the first one was there until I was lucky enough to see it fall off onto my bench.

Otherwise, it's not a bad job - but you gotta be clean, clean, clean!

·
Registered
603 Posts
I read through several forum threads on caliper rebuilds before deciding to do it. Id also found an excellent explanation of how the calipers worked written by some Japanese guy who was bored during his winter period and overhauled his calipers, and has pictures of all the seals and fluid paths through the caliper bodies.

So I knew I had to find and save the 'half' seals. They were actually nestled in their little holes and popped out with a little encouragement. I saved them in a plastic bag to make sure they stayed clean and didn't dry out.
I gave the caliper bodies a good wipedown before pulling the pistons out of their seals, and more cleaning once they were out.

Today we installed the rebuilt calipers onto the bike, filling and bleeding the fluid (my active bike is NON-ABS so bleeding is pretty straightforward). And I got to test ride it. They worked fine but I detected a little seepage from the Banjo bolts when I got back. They were the only bolts I didn't 'torque-to-spec' due to space limitations to fit the torque wrench. I cranked them a bit tighter with a standard spanner.

Tomorrow Ill take it for a longer ride to work and back and inspect them again

Cheers, Keef.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Today KG and I went on a group ride upto a cafe on one of the local dams. It was a brekkie ride where we joined up with other branches of the club we ride with, It gets us to catch up with other people we don't see much of.
Our branch started with 11 bikes, with other late-comers meeting us at the dam. I'm not sure how many members from the other branches turned up, but it was probably about 50 all up.

It was only a short ride, and we got home just before lunch.
So KG and I changed-out the engine oil, oil filter and air filter, and checked and cleaned the spark plugs for the 110,000km service on my bike this afternoon.

I checked the service manual and most of the stuff that gets checked are things that I've worked on or replaced in the last 6 months anyway, so I know they are fresh or at least in-spec.

Keef.

(PS I think today is officially the last day of winter.... Summer is coming!)

20200829_082919.jpg
20200829 Brekkie bunch.jpg 20200829 Dam bikes.jpg 20200829 Dam view.jpg

·
Registered
603 Posts
Today our main mob had planned a ride through the city and up to the northern beaches. We decided that a group ride through the city isn't our favorite thing, so we joined another group (Riders United) for a 300km round trip to Quindanning and back.
The ride drew about 40 riders, and groups from different regions all converged on Serpentine dam. Our group was a little early so we waited in the cafe car park which was lucky, because we realised that one of the bikes had a flat tyre. The rider was a novice and hadn't realised what the extra wobbles from his rear tyre were being caused by. Luckily we had a couple of puncture kits amongst us and we got the tyre patched up and inflated and then sent them (the novice and his dad) off to the next servo so they could replace the CO2 with normal air mixture before the main group came through.

A few moments after they left, the main group arrived and we moved down to the dam itself to line all the bikes up for a group photo.
20200830 Dam bikes.jpg

Then a quick run south to Dell Park Way (a nice winding road up the scarp made by our local Bauxite mining company) and up to Dwellingup. Then East about 80kms to the Quindanning Pub.
KG and I were last there on 17th May, about the time our state was opening back up after eliminating Corona virus, and I attached photos which had just our 2 bikes and a couple of others parked outside. Today it looked more like it usually does on Sundays, with most of the Riders United mob as well as other groups and local families parked up everywhere.
20200830 Quin united 2.jpg 20200830 Quin united1.jpg 20200830 Quin United 3.jpg

We stopped for lunch for about an hour and then headed for home in smaller groups. The only significant event for us was when we stopped for a few minutes to allow some farmers to drive their flock of sheep across the road.

As well as my Sprint, there was a Sunset Red ST and a blue GT, a bunch of Speed and Street Triples, Daytonas, Rockets, Americas and Tigers and even a Trident.

Cheers Keef.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
You're getting in some fun group rides, cheef. I haven't been on one since I live in California. I used to ride with a group just about every weekend in the Santa Cruz mountains, which I'm sad say have largely been consumed by wild fires in the past month. My heart goes out to those folks.

·
Registered
412 Posts
New ticket to ride (AKA MOT certificate) sorted today.

Tester was very complimentary of the condition of my steed 🙂

Met another Graphite ST on the A96 Inverurie bypass. Wondering if the owner is on here too 🤔

Lonelec cable also arrived so hooked up TuneECU for a quick nosey. Only bought it so I can do the proper ABS bleed. Did find a couple of errors in the ABS module for the front wheel which I cleared. They didn't come back during my 20 mile MOT round trip so I think they may have been caused by running the bike in gear on the centre stand

·
Registered
603 Posts
Nice. Another simple thing you can do with the Tuneecu is correct your speedo, reduce the approximate 5-6% error to about 1-2%. Easy to do via the 'Speedo Correction' field if you have a GPS to establish the initial error and verify the corrected result.

You're getting in some fun group rides, cheef. I haven't been on one since I live in California. I used to ride with a group just about every weekend in the Santa Cruz mountains, which I'm sad say have largely been consumed by wild fires in the past month. My heart goes out to those folks.
Yeah we find group rides can be fun, but not always. When we're out with our usual mob we know which riders ride at our pace and which ride either better or worse, faster or slower (faster & better are not necessarily the same thing lol). We know which riders we can 'play with', which to avoid and which to move over for so they can go on ahead. A small number of the riders in our usual mob are frankly dangerous through either incompetentence or excessive trust in luck. Nothing we can do about it but give them a wide berth and hope for the best. Most though are competent or better, and we usually have a great time.
When we're riding with groups we don't know, we take it easy at first to see what the group dynamics are, and work out which riders need 'extra care' and then we go at our own pace and enjoy the ride.

We get wildfires in Aust too, so we understand your loss. We had a lot of large fires over the christmas period last summer. Our name for them is bushfires, because undeveloped country areas are colloquially known as "The Bush" here.

Anyhow, I hope you can find a group to enjoy your riding with somehow,

Cheers, Keef.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Finally got the clear indicator lenses so the front end refresh is complete 🙂

Next jobs are oil&filter, brake fluid, fork service and paint, strip and paint the pillion footrest hangers

But the main thing is to ride!

Attachments

6501 - 6520 of 6543 Posts