Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

6461 - 6480 of 6507 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Changed the oil and filter on the ‘00 ST. I took the tip to center stand, then side stand, then back and it really did clear out more oil. I used a Purolator One 14610 (longer filter) and Shell Rotella T 15w40 (yeah yeah, I know...not trying to start another oil chat), I was surprised that I used very close to a full gallon of oil (yes, I monitored the level in the window).
I also decided to relocate the seat release to the rear fender, just above the license plate. I should have done that years ago, it was the easiest thing to do and now so easy to get the seat off without having to remove the saddle bag!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Picked up another 1050 ST a month or 2 ago with 51K on the dial and have finally gotten around to doing a full detail and check over on the bike, according to the dealer the PO told them it had a full service at 50K.

What's wrong with this picture....
20200719_172535.jpg

Stupid thing is the bike ran fine, says a lot for them doesn't it, just a touch hard to start from cold (it sits for weeks at a time on a floating charger), I thought it just needed new plugs, silly rabbit.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Picked up another 1050 ST a month or 2 ago with 51K on the dial and have finally gotten around to doing a full detail and check over on the bike, according to the dealer the PO told them it had a full service at 50K.

What's wrong with this picture.... View attachment 730969
Wow! The dealer obviously doesn’t care about their used inventory. Or they expect you to come back to them for obvious servicing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
250 Posts
You havent finished flushing the gyprock yet!

Stupid thing is the bike ran fine, says a lot for them doesn't it, just a touch hard to start from cold (it sits for weeks at a time on a floating charger), I thought it just needed new plugs, silly rabbit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Feel free to drop in and finish it off, then you can line the ceiling and paint the walls...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Fitted 1 inch bar risers.

Easy to fit, just had to reroute the clutch cable.

To be honest I was a bit disappointed in that it didn’t actually feel much different.

Maybe the fact that it wasn’t actually that uncomfortable to ride in the first place did it.

The main problem I used to get was pain on the inside of my elbow joints after a few hours riding and it seems to be a bit easier in that regard which in its own was worth the money.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts

Yikes!
Another good reason for riders to learn bike maintenance rather than turning it over to 'the pros.'

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Yesterday I got out for a ride later than usual, leaving mid-afternoon. It was pretty much my typical loop up the Hudson River and through Harriman Park, but being later in the day, and a weekday, and Covid-times, the roads were quiet and the light was different.

While the basic loop is pretty much the same, I like to venture off the path and get lost a little, so I diverted into Haverstraw, NY, for a little exploring. It's a tightly packed little town sitting on the river's edge, mostly up on bluffs. Despite its ideal location for river viewing, it's a low income town with houses pretty close. The few streets with shops were vibrant though, with lights on and people out (masks? not so much). I didn't photograph much, except I bumped into a little red chapel on a bluff above a mini bay. I'll insert a photo later.

My usual goal for day trips it to get out in the morning in an attempt to avoid traffic, but this later day ride worked out well, due to conditions. It was nice to be out in the evening light, and riding past the city on the FDR, watching the city pass by, and the view across the East River is (despite what you might think, given city traffic) a pleasure.

One funny, sorta NYC note: As I made my way down the FDR there was a little logjam (there usually is - can be a PIA) and a horn or two blasting. It turned out to be a kid on bicycle (BMX style) in lane three! Can you believe it? This stretch of road is typically one of the most congested and aggressive roads in the US, and here's a kid on a bike. Nuts! Granted, the traffic wasn't as dense as usual, but speeds can run from 50 to 70 mph along it. Nuts!

All in a day's fun. :)

(The most interesting thing about this chapel is its location above the river adjacent some houses - to the left - that are in poor condition. I didn't think to include them ... next visit!)

A deer that made its way out to the fringes of town and the fringes of the Hudson River.

·
Registered
3 Posts
most evident, you'll have a challenge getting it on the center stand
Hello,

Thank you for your reply.
I actually have great difficulty putting it on the centre stand but all this time I thought it was my incompetence and inexperience that was preventing me to do it.
Do you think you could tell whether it is in the wrong position if I send some pictures?
Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
160 Posts
using the search, you will find picture previously posted try " eccentric flipped" or something like that

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Nuthin'!
It's too damn hot and humid! o_O
But I am trying to scope out a short out-of-town getaway. Do go north to the Adirondacks? South into Delaware (Aside from I-95, I've never spent time there.) Southwest into West Virginia?

Reactions: boardheadbri

·
3,120 Posts
Doesn't matter where you go, only that you go.

Reactions: chickenstrip

·
Registered
566 Posts
It's too damn hot and humid!
Which place is the coolest? Sounds like that's the answer to your dilemma.

We had a fine winters day here. Max temp was about 21c with light winds and no rain. I rode the Sprint to work and back and then got to do some 'ride and adjust' on KG's Monster 1100 to help evaluate some tyre pressure changes she's experimenting with. I thought she had done a good job with that but suggested we take a turn off the front preload to shorten the front and quicken the steering a little. We did that and I took it out again, thought it was improved and then sent her out to see what she thought. She was happy so we packed the bikes away.

Her Monster has been lowered by using a Monster 696 shock mounting bracket on the rear and slipping the forks through the yokes. It's also had the fork springs and shock replaced with softer aftermarket units to better suit her weight. We've been experimenting with fork compression and rebound damping and tyre pressures over the last few weeks to soften the ride from "super-stiff track bike" to lightweight country tourer and have had some success, but we still can't get it to ride as nice as the Sprint (which now has stiffer Promoto springs and Wilbers shock). So we're now looking at getting a local suspension shop to re-work the fork shim-stacks and valves. Contact has been made and we're waiting for him to come back with a quote for some K-Tec aftermarket parts.

Keef.

·
Registered
23 Posts
using the search, you will find picture previously posted try " eccentric flipped" or something like that
This was a well known mod I did on my ZZR 1100 to quicken the steering up.

Presumably this is the same. Does it make any difference and are there any pros/cons?

I probably wouldn’t bother but just curious.

·
3,120 Posts
Yes, essentially the same deal as on the ZZR or ZRX, except you use the eccentric tool in your factory tool kit. If you don't have one, a coil preload wrench, or coilover spanner will work too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

6461 - 6480 of 6507 Posts