Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

6441 - 6460 of 6507 Posts

·
3,120 Posts
We've been on a tour recently. COVID-19 put the kibosh on our big plans of riding up into Canada (to Banff). So we're doing a loop around Colorado.

Had a mishap in Craig, CO part way through Day 2. After diverting around a fire that closed our route, we ended up boondoggling down a dirt road for 50 miles . This apparently rattled a bolt for the rear hugger loose, which carved a canyon in the brand new rear Road 5 on Mrs MHS's bike. Didn't look dismal, but we went to Grand Junction to replace it.

Lots of fun, some trials but hey it beats working!
20200708_095822.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
3,120 Posts
Been using Relive app if you want to follow along.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Ouch! That sucks ... such a primo tire, too. Have a safe and fun tour!

Reactions: MileHighScottie

·
3,120 Posts
Here's a "video" of our last day, from Durango, CO to home. No major issues, except the tire issue, and we're going to be upgrading to Cardo comms from Sena Relive 'Durango to Home!'

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
We will be making the same route except in reverse. Denver to Grand Junction then to Denver.
How beautiful that app shows the lay of the land
Great clip. Sad about tire.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Was he speeding again? Shame on him.
Broke down and put the risers back on ST Chick's old 955 ST.
That bike has a fairly tall Sargent seat on it and the risers really are the way to go.

·
3,120 Posts
Looks good except for highlighting your max speed.

Could be used in court ...
Not in my state, but that wasn't the point at all.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
You turned the CPC thingy around the other way?

(lol)
I did! And the middle step was painting it silver.

I had a feeling some joker would pick up the reversal. :p

·
Registered
566 Posts
Nice!
I couldn't resist.

Meanwhile today I went on a short ride of about 100km to Byford Bakery via Jarrahdale and Nettleton with KG and a small group of friends. We've had another week of storms last week and I hadn't ridden since Wednesday so it was good to get out. Our group included another Sprint (955 ST), a 'Busa, a ZX14, KG's Monster, an F 800 GT and we met another couple with a Vulcan 1800 and ER6N at the Bakery.
I ordered a R&G Tail tidy for the bike during the week and am expecting it to arrive sometime next week since its only coming from the city.

Keef.

·
Registered
121 Posts
@ 45,000km, so decided to do the valve shims since I don't know the history of the bike.
The owners manual has the 20,000km service stamped, but it doesn't state what has been done (and I don't trust bike workshops).
All the inlet valves were between 0.15mm and 0.18mm, and the exhaust valves were all 0.3mm except for one at 0.28mm.
I'm guessing the Sprint is the same as all other bikes and the gaps should close as it ages, so should be good for another 20,000+ kms.
I will also pull apart the rear end to check and lubricate all bearings since I won't be riding for 4 weeks.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Riding in the NYC area I've had too many close calls with cagers so I decided to install a motorcycle "dash cam". After a ton of research I decided on a Vsysto from amazon. Install was super easy, they give you a power module that hooks up to the battery and an accessory. Recordings are decent, first time out with the unit I got cut off by an idiot in a Corolla that could seemingly care less despite me laying into my Denali Soundbomb. I mounted the screen on my handlebar hoping I could use the rear facing camera to monitor vehicles coming up behind me but in daylight you can't see anything on the screen so I'm going to just hide the unit somewhere. Also, I couldn't come up with a good spot to mount the front facing camera so I mounted it behind the windscreen but it causes a little distortion with the image so I'm going to have to come up with a better mounting spot. Overall I'm pretty happy with the unit, the video quality (1080P) is pretty good. I drive with a Blackvue dash cam in my car so the peace of mind having it is nice. I also like the fact that I don't have to deal with an action cam and batteries dying, I had a Sena Prism at one point but with only 2 hours of battery time, almost all of my rides exceed that.

·
Registered
83 Posts
This has not been a good day, I killed the engine.
2007 Triumph Sprint 1050 - 47,000 ks.fully maintained and pampered.

Left for work this morning and after about 150mts the engine died, no strange noises, just died dead.. Not a run out of fuel type engine slowing still rotating freely, this was going from 50k/hr to 0k/hr in about 5 metres or so. Put it in to neutral and tried to restart but not a hope. You can feel the starter motor try to engage but the engine would not turn at all. I managed to roll the bike home as it's all slightly down hill although not enough to try clutch starting.
When I got home I checked the battery, 12.6V engine off, 12.2V ignition on, 6V when hitting the starter. Raced down and got a new battery even though I knew it wouldn't help. Exactly the same, drops to 6V when trying to start.
Pulled the tank, airbox and plugs and opened the timing inspection cover. Tried to turn the crank shaft by hand, not a hope. Took of the Cam cover and inspected the timing chain etc. Everything up top seems ok although obviously I cannot turn the motor to check. Put it on the centre stand, in gear and no way could I turn the rear wheel.

I'm thinking the bottom end has seized 😖

·
Registered
371 Posts
Oh man. That's not good.

I wondered about hydraulic lock from a leaking head gasket but you should be able to turn it by hand with the plugs out unless one or more rods is very bent

I guess the easiest option is to try to get another motor and swap it out unless you have the time and money to strip this one

6441 - 6460 of 6507 Posts