Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

6381 - 6400 of 6405 Posts

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Down here we transition on Monday 11th. If one is in a "green" area (my case :love:), will be able to move around in a 100km radius circle. So time to ride (in circle).
For those in red area, no change :(.
Restaurants and café still closed everywhere after 11th.

·
3,075 Posts
Guess who's mistress's are getting new kicks. Road 5s for the girls

Don't mind the disassembled Daytona in the background. She's waiting on parts.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Rode the mighty Yellow Banana out to get food for the tortoises today.
It is really strange to go the super market and we're all in masks and gloves, looking at each other funny.
Bike ran great and I'm really impressed with how well the suspension reacts to what passes for roads around here.
That black stuff HAP dumped out of the forks was Kal-Gard Smooth Stroke fork oil. I wish they still made that, I really like molybdenum disulfide.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Today the postman delivered my new rear rotor which I ordered about a month ago. It's another "BRAKING" product and matches the two front rotors I installed back in March.
One of the hardest aspects of buying 'weight saving' products for the bike is that not many places actually state the weight of the products that are apparently lighter than the OEM parts they replace. Galfer put the product weight on the packet, so that helps. DennisKirk website states the product weight in the specifications, and that's good also.

I took a gamble on this BRAKING rotor based on my previous experience with the two front rotors I bought before which achieved a weight saving of 498g each over the Metalgear ones I had fitted, so I hoped the rear would give a similar result. It was a relief when I weighed both new and old rotors and the results were: 851g verses 1283g which gives a weight saving of 432g or about 33%.

The running total of removed weight from the rear currently stands at 1132g (almost 2.5lb). I have some more items coming, each with progressively less effect but I think I'll be able to achieve 1.4kg (3lb).

I've attached some pics of the rotor: 1/ placed on top of the old one to compare profiles:
2/ close up of the rear wheel,
3/ shot of the whole bike.
20200513 Superimposed sm.jpg 20200513 TR03RID rotor sm.jpg 20200513 Braking F+R sm.jpg

Part# TR03RID (for non-ABS bikes, also suits some Bonnies/Scramblers/Thruxtons/SP3/RS/Tigers).
ABS bikes need WF7515 which has tabs and holes to mount the ABS ring to.

Cheers, Keef.

·
3,075 Posts
Steve, you dug up a gem from the past with the Kal-Gard reference!

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
I used to carry their line, they made good stuff.
When they changed direction a few decades ago I cleaned out all of the distributors for their fork fluid.
I "think" I have enough to see me through the rest of my days.
Anybody who doesn't know what I put in there must be horrified to see black fork fluid come out!

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Getting ready to take the GT out for a spin.
This old Stetson Whippet has a history to it - it belonged to an Indiana Congressman, Leo J. Stemle, who got mixed up with the mob and Seagram's Whiskey. He also got hauled in for a keg party involving High School Seniors when he was on the Indiana Alcoholic Beverage Commission. Tsk, tsk.

·
Registered
531 Posts
20200517 Quiny Pub1 sm.jpg

We rode out to a country 'town' that we haven't visited since the covid-19 pandemic started. The dumb thing is that it's been within the boundaries of the region we're allowed to travel within but we just assumed it wasn't until we realised otherwise a couple of weeks ago.
The place is called Quindanning and it essentially consists of 1 hotel and about 8 houses. There is also a church a few kilometers up the road but no shops or service station. It's usually really popular amongst the biker and car enthusiast crowd and the hotel carpark is usually full of bikes and performance cars on any Sunday lunch. For us it's a 140Km ride each-way, and includes Lower Hotham Road which can be "a bit of fun".
The pub is doing its best to stay viable, and is allowed to provide 'take-away meals and alcohol'. Apparently the local police (from the town of Boddington 35km away) agreed that the 'take-away' requirement is satisfied if the food is taken into the beer garden or beyond the stone-fence out the front, so the pub set up some tables on the verge of the road where the bikes normally park.

20200517 Quiny Pub3 sm.jpg 20200517 Quiny Pub2 sm.jpg

The weather was perfect, sunny, hardly any wind and middling temperatures. About as good as it gets for Autumn, we'll be having to ride in cordura jackets and pants soon, but for now its still leather jackets and Draggin jeans.
20200517 Quiny Pub4 sm.jpg 20200517 Quiny Pub5.jpg

So we enjoyed a couple of toasted sandwiches and some chips (fries) at one of the tables out the front before heading back along the same route we came (Harvey-Quindanning / Lower Hotham / Boddington-Dwellingup Roads).

The actual road that the pub sits on is the Pinjarra-Williams road which heads North and joins the Boddington-Dwellingup road just 2Km East of where Lower Hotham meets it (B-D). Therefore the 4 roads (B-D / LH / H-Q / P-W) make a nice loop approximately 60Km around, with the added bonus of the Quindanning pub being located at the bottom of the loop. From the North the top of the loop is 40Km from Dwellingup and 12Km from Boddington, from the South its about 33Km to Williams, and 73Km to Harvey, however parts of the road to Harvey are unsealed and thats why its best to take Lower Hotham road and loop back to B-D. Just remember there is no fuel available here and the nearest servos' are about 30Km away at Boddington and Williams or 70Km to Dwellingup.

Cheers, Keef

·
Registered
333 Posts
80 mile lockdown ride last night to check the GT headlights. High beam is set way to high so some adjustment is required. Dipped is good and noticeably better than the ST set up

Still waiting for the clear indicator lenses ...

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts
tried to tackle the valve adjustment today with the help of a friend. i ordered the bucket tool off ebay and it didn't work. it also doesn't look like the oem version, more like someone fabricated it.

ended up having to remove the cams to get at the shims. and then, the valves were so tight he couldn't get the feeler gauges in to test them ( i am about 22k miles overdue...)

and then, the kit i ordered only had two shims for each value and there were some where i needed four of the same size so off to the local stealer we went. what they thought were 25mm ended up being 28s (and we were still one shim short). sigh...hopefully we can track down the shims at the other less than local stealer and finish the job monday. there's no way i could have tackled this job by myself without seeing it happen first. now i have a better idea of how it goes and a better understanding of why it's a 1200.00 job at the service department...

·
Registered
631 Posts
The Sprint GT just got new tires, new OEM chain and sprocket kit and while I was at it I serviced the rear hub. I'm a few laps down but back in the race for sure. Ride fast, take chances. See you out there.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Got on the bike the other day and the front wheel felt reluctant to move even before I got it off the center stand. Hmm, I wondered .... some mis-routed cable or wires? Flat front tire? Whatever it was it didn't seem dangerous so I went out for a little spin. Low speed steering was clearly wonky. I continued moving the bars back-n-forth and noticed a slight notch in the middle - the steering bearings. This is one of my least liked maintenance jobs - getting the races in/out is a bitch, likewise for the lower bearings on the stem.

I started a thread in the parent forum. If you've discovered the magical techniques for making this job less of a hassle I'd appreciate hearing about it.

·
3,075 Posts
and then, the kit i ordered only had two shims for each value and there were some where i needed four of the same size so off to the local stealer we went. what they thought were 25mm ended up being 28s (and we were still one shim short). sigh...hopefully we can track down the shims at the other less than local stealer and finish the job monday.
Wish you lived in Colorado. I have an entire kit of shims because both my Triples and Kawasaki use the same diameter shims

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
I normally take the winters off from this forum but I moved to NYC a little over a year ago and spent last summer readjusting and getting my bearings so I've been MIA since then. I'm getting my Sprint GT ready to venture out of the city to do some exploring and decided to upgrade the headlights.

I purchased these off of Amazon mostly for a trial run for fitment, etc. If they work out I'll most likely replace them with something more robust when they fail but they do have great reviews and they are able to be rotated to adjust the focus.

I had to modify the metal closure and also the boots to fit around the base and let the fans cool everything down but so far I'm impressed with the beam pattern relative to the stock halogens. I also went ahead and upgraded the T10 parking bulbs with 6000k led bulbs. I'm going to buy another set of these to replace the H7 center high beam as well.

Here are the results:

Before

After

I also added the GIVI ST605 TanklockED tank bag which I'm pretty happy with initially, hopefully it serves the purpose I'm thinking it will once I get back to taking longer multi-day trips.

Last thing I did was cut the existing rubber grips off of the OEM heated grips. Those things were torture. I slipped on some Pro Grip Gel grips and they should be so much more comfortable as I've used them on just about every motorcycle I've owned.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Howdy fellow NYC Sprint rider! Mine's an older (dare I say vintage) Sprint RS. Maybe we'll share the road some day.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Wish you lived in Colorado. I have an entire kit of shims because both my Triples and Kawasaki use the same diameter shims

we have a line on some in sacramento (i refuse to return to the stealership where i got her. they have messed things up every single time i've gone in. hattar/marin speed shop.

shims are on order and for a much better price than expected. now the hard part is waiting for the order to come in. thank you for the offer and intention at least!

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
We're in Code Yeller which is where is chickensh*ts get out there and avoid the neighbors.
That would be me!
My family physician (hubba hubba) thinks August will be when we start to feel a little more relaxed around here.
I asked her which year?
Nobody around these here parts does that social distancing stuff so the only thing to do is give it the gas when you see them lurching around.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
SapperSprintGT,
I did not know that you could cut the rubber off of the heated grips.
I hate those things with a passion.
There's no adhesive to worry about?

6381 - 6400 of 6405 Posts