Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

6281 - 6300 of 6405 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Fired up my RS today after valve adjustment and battery cable upgrade. I must have put the cams back in correctly she lit right off sounds great. HUGE RELIEF!!!!!! Biggest thing i noticed was how fast it cranks over with the 4 guage battery cables. Only thing that didnt work out was shrinking the fuel tank. Was just as tight as when i took it off. Sat for 3 months dry in my outside shed. Many cold nights but no change. Im not gonna worry about coating it hell its lasted 20 years at this point.

Thanks to this great forum i was able to accomplish this project

·
Registered
533 Posts
We (KG and I) also went for a little ride yesterday, about 75kms up to a small town in the hills (Dwellingup) and back. We had lunch there and then returned home, and then heard that the country is being put into lock-down as of today. Strange to think that was our last meal at that particular restaurant for quite a while, maybe forever if they go broke. I hope they survive since we quite like it there and visit every couple of months or so.

Meanwhile I've been trying to find out if there is a weight difference between the ST and GT front wheels. I haven't found hard data anywhere. Best I can manage is that I have weighed my own ST wheel and a mates GT wheel but they both have rotors and tyres fitted, so a lot of additional variables involved. For the record my ST wheel with MetalGear rotors and fresh PR5 tyre weighed 13.0kg, his GT with original rotors and 75% worn PR4-GT tyre weighed 12.3kg. So around 700 gram (1.5lbs) difference, but I do not know how much of that is from the extra rubber and newer rotors on the ST wheel and how much is the wheels themselves.

Anyhow my research into the GT wheel replacement project came to a grinding halt today when I found a pair of "Braking STX61D" rotors for AU$109 ea with $18 express postage within Aust that will fit the ST wheel. For that price I decided to stay with the ST wheel and forego the risk of buying a used GT wheel which A: might not be all that much lighter, B: might be damaged, and C: will probably need new rotors if it doesn't have them or it has worn or warped ones. Buying these is the safe option and not quite as exciting as experimenting with the GT wheel, .... but maybe I'll revisit that again if I ever spot a new wheel on clearance rather than having to risk buying a 'dud' second hand one.

Anyhow, stay safe and look after each other (from a safe distance), we got hard times a comin, but I hope we all get through them.

Keef.

·
3,078 Posts
My one day off this week, so I decided to assembly line chain maintenance... on all five bikes. I know, what was I thinking?

Well, 2 Sprints, 1 Speed Triple, a Daytona 955i and the ZRX1200R all have super clean chains with fresh lube, and all are adjusted to perfection. Or, close enough for government work.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Now that you're experienced, why don't you swing by Pennsyltucky? Have I got some chains for you!

Took delivery of Corbin seat #3 for Sir Costalot!
Now I have one Gunfighter, one Gunfighter & Lady which won't accommodate saddlebags and one Gunfighter & Lady with the bag mount cut outs. Just crazy.
Hope to try out the "new" seat this week if it ever stops raining.

·
3,078 Posts
If I could, I would buddy. It's therapeutic. Now I just need to get that Tona on the road

·
Registered
85 Posts
Got delivery of my cable for TuneEcu.
Plugged her in did a quick investigative look.
It’s running the 20560 map.
The fuel mixture is mainly running at 13.5:1, except for off idle and mid revs/mid throttle position which is at 14.5:1.
Might experiment with setting it all to 13.5:1.
Also found my throttle position sensor was out of whack, now sorted.
Anyone have any maps to suit the 2008 so I can have a look at what is normally done?
I realise that best option is a dyno, but this won’t happen for a while if at all.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Fred,
Is your not riding a personal confinement or a Gov directive? I'm still riding - Suzuki mostly - even though we are supposed to isolate but with no directive so far to stay indoors. I am riding alone and other than for fuel stops I'm staying well away from others but we may see a tightening of non essential activity in the very near future. At least the gas stations are still open for now.

Stay safe everyone.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Fred,
Is your not riding a personal confinement or a Gov directive? I'm still riding - Suzuki mostly - even though we are supposed to isolate but with no directive so far to stay indoors. I am riding alone and other than for fuel stops I'm staying well away from others but we may see a tightening of non essential activity in the very near future. At least the gas stations are still open for now.

Stay safe everyone.
It's a government directive. People stay at home and have the right to get out only for:
-working only if homeworking is not possible and when it's absolutely needed. Most of company w/ no homeworking possible are closed.
-for buying food
-for health problems
-for bringing assistance to vulnerable people. Elderly people or children.
-for brief outdoor exercises. Not farer than 1km and not more than 1 hour. It's more problematic in town.

A self signed pass is needed that indicates name address and reason to be out.
Yesterday, when I went out to buy food I was controlled by a police officer. I was OK.
The ticket is 135€ and up to 1500€ is it's not your first confinement ticket.
So as I won't buy groceries by motorcycle and it stays home. I am not tempted at all anyway. Lukily my area is one of the less impacted in France and I don't live in town.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Today my new rotors (brake discs) arrived. So I commenced fitting them to my 'main' front wheel (note that I have my 'spare' front wheel fitted to the bike at the moment to use up some of the tread on the old PR4 tyre that's on it).

The aim of this mod was to hopefully reduce the rotating mass and unsprung weight of the front wheel. This wheel was fitted with a virtually new PR5 tyre and MetalGear rotors (Australian aftermarket brand) and in this configuration weighed 12.9kg. The other 'spare' wheel which is currently on the bike has a 50% worn PR4 and OEM ABS rotors (ABS rotors were about 0.5mm thicker than non-ABS rotors) and weighs about 400g less than the 'main' wheel. In my last post I also reported that a friend's GT fitted with OEM rotors and 75% worn PR4-GT tyre weighed 12.3kg.

[Note 1: We used a set of kitchen scales to weigh items less than 5kg (the scales maximum capacity) and a set of bathroom scales with an accuracy of +/- 100g for heavier items (such as the assembled wheels)]
[Note 2: When weighing the wheel assemblies, we included the wheel/tyre/rotors and spacers but not the axle]

So we started out by weighing the new rotors. They weighed 1384g each, or 2768g together. The old ones weighed 1882g each (3764g together) so a difference of 996g.... almost 1kg (2.2lbs). I then cleaned, polished and waxed the wheel, the first time the top of the spokes have seen that kind of attention in over 10 years. KG cleaned up the disc bolts, even though they are next on the replacement list. The ten disc bolts weighed 150 grams combined, replacing them with titanium bolts (which we don't have yet) will remove around half of that weight. So we weighed the wheel with the two rotors and half the bolts to give an indication what the final figure should look like, and we got 11.8kg.

We ran out of daylight just after we finished torquing up the bolts, so fitting the wheel to the bike is a tomorrow job.
I'll add photos taken during and after the job of the wheel with the two types of rotor, and a shot of the bolts that KG cleaned.

Keef.
MGear rotor.jpg STX61D Rotor.jpg Clean Bolts.jpg New Rotors.jpg

·
Registered
533 Posts
Today we finished the job we started yesterday, and swapped out the 'spare' and 'main' front wheels on the bike.
Out of curiosity I removed one of the OEM ABS rotors from the spare wheel and weighed it, because I suspected the MetalGear rotor might be much heavier than an OEM one. However, the OEM ABS rotor weighed in at 1766g which put it only 116g lighter than the MG and 392g heavier than the STX61D. Doubling those figures for both rotors gives 232g and 784g differences. KG again cleaned the old loctite from the threads for me. To do this she used a bowl of boiled water.... the loctite just floats off.

I also fit new brake pads before going for my first cautious test ride. I was very mindful that pads and rotors need to bed-in together, so started off slow and gently applied the brakes a few times to make sure there would be something if I needed it. After making sure I had some brakes if needed, I gave it a few flicks through some roundabouts and other corner combinations. Nothing too serious but enough to feel the bikes reactions.

Yes there is a difference. Nothing earth shattering, but it's... nice, and it's fun. I'm looking forward to learning the new characteristics. It's hard to explain... but it wants to turn tighter and quicker. The weight reduction of the front wheel is 1kg out of an initial weight of 12.9kg, so about 7.5%.

The pad-to-rotor gap is very small at the moment and there could be a little bit of drag still occuring, I gave the bike a couple of acceleration runs onto the main road (yeah - I went round more than once lol) and it went well, again nothing earth shattering but noticeable and fun.

I'll add a couple more pics, the first of the "spare" wheel and its OEM ABS rotors, and the second of the "main" wheel with new rotors on the bike just before the first test run.

Keef.

20200327 OEM ABS Rotor.jpg 20200327 Braking Rotors2.jpg

·
Registered
343 Posts
Saturday 21st March, fitted the battery to my 955i after carefully keeping it charged in the lock-up over winter, not too much charge though, don't trust those "smart chargers" . Bike was reluctant to start (last year's fuel). Out for a run, the freedom and exhilaration of two wheels!

Monday 23rd December, travel restrictions in the UK :( I'll have to take the battery off the bike again for more careful charging.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Well, I listened to it for a bit. :) (still looks great after 38K miles)
BTW, I attempted to upload a short video clip but the site wouldn't have it. Does the forum not accept videos?

·
3,078 Posts
I thought it would accept a video up to a certain size. Or be hip and be a YouTuber, and upload your video that way.

BTW, your RS looks great, even if it's the third slowest color

·
3,078 Posts
Since we're in a "stay at home" status over here, I rode my silver Sprint (aka fastest color, Jack) to work, since our little slice is "essential."

It's not a glamorous ride, but at least I'm on 2 wheels for a bit. Guaranteed that I'm taking the long way home this afternoon.

6281 - 6300 of 6405 Posts