Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

6261 - 6280 of 6306 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Installed my new shims and put the cams back in my RS today. Aligned all the timimg marks and rechecked all my clearances. Not too bad of a job. Gonna install valve cover and clutch cover tonight. Next im going to replace the intake gasket thats known to fail due to old age and clean the throttle bodies while its off. Really enjoy wrenching on this bike its a very straightforward design easy to work on. 17k on odometer the intake valves were just about out of clearance glad ifinally pulled it apart. All valves now atmax clearance so i should be good for a while
IMG_20200301_175838_hdr.jpg

·
Registered
934 Posts
First day back on the Sprint today since I got in my car crash 4 months ago. Second time back on a bike. We'll see how my back does.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Welcome back! I hope you're feeling better than ever. (y)

·
3,003 Posts
Good days, bad days. I'm trying to avoid surgery

·
Registered
24 Posts
Decided to do the rear hub bearings as there is no record of it having been done. I bought the bike at 29k kms and it is now at 42k kms.
I have done a few bearings on cars and some of them have been a right PITA, so when a used swing arm came up on ebay I grabbed it. That way I could take my time replacing the bearings on the hub, clean up the axle and just swap them into my bike when it was done. The only problem with the axle is that it was from a non ABS bike so the disc rotor is different, it doesn't have the extra tabs to attach the sensor ring.
Easy I thought, four bolts and it's off. Wrong. Even with a breaker bar and socket all it did was strip the nut. I'm sure somebody has welded it in place 😖
So I pulled my bike apart, cleaned up the existing axle and put it all back together with the refurbished hub. Took it for a test ride and everything is wonderful, except that I have no back brake. Get home and checked it out. I somehow managed to get grease on the rotor! So once I clean it all properly I will have an as new rear.

The other bonus of the swing arm is that it all the suspension linkages, so I can service them and again just swap them over when I am ready.
I did the same but with the suspension linkage only. I like rebuilding the spares and having them ready. On the hunt for a hub now.

·
3,003 Posts
Thanks. I didn't go far, about 30 miles. What I really need to do is get out to the canyons and wear off this now squared off front tire. Last ride on my Sprint was a 3000 mile trip to see my dad in Idaho in early October.

Warm temps again this week...

·
Registered
934 Posts
Speaking of the rear wheel, how much play fore/aft is typical? When last cleaning the chain I noticed some play. For all I know it was always there, but seeing a post some time back about inserting pieces of inner tube around the rubber blocks in the cush drive had me tuned into it.

I imagine some play is normal/inevitable, but does a time come to replace the cush drive? (My bike has something like 35K miles on it.)

·
3,003 Posts
Jack, are you asking about play when you grip the wheel at 3 and 9? Supposedly zero runout is specified. I can't find anything in my shop manual to back up this, however.

Maybe check all your torque settings as well as the swingarm bushings.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Jack, are you asking about play when you grip the wheel at 3 and 9? Supposedly zero runout is specified. I can't find anything in my shop manual to back up this, however.

Maybe check all your torque settings as well as the swingarm bushings.

I think he means rotational play.
Should have none, probably due for new Cush rubbers.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I think he means rotational play.
Should have none, probably due for new Cush rubbers.
Yes, rotational play (why didn't I think of that?). Okay, if no play is standard then mine's due for some new ones. Has anyone tried the addition of inner tube pieces to take up the slack?

·
3,003 Posts
I have tried this old trick before on other bikes. It's a short-lived bandaid in my experience.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
496 Posts
Switched my back wheel over with my spare, since the wheel weights on the main one have 'departed' since last service and Im getting vibrations that feel like their coming from the rear. I also loosened the chain a little since I think it was too tight, and may have been contributing to the rough feeling. Then we (KG and I) polished up the wheel since I only acquired it from a wreckers recently and it was pretty filthy.

Lastly I removed the horn and inspected it, since it's been sounding like a strangled goose lately. I played around with the tuning screw, which just changed the pitch of the hrawnk sound. Then I noticed that the wires going to the two plugs seemed to be angled oddly and the plugs were possibly on the wrong terminals. I swapped them over and all is good. The only time that I can think of that the wires could have been switched is when the bike was in for new head-stem bearings last year (I dont use the horn much).

Tomorrow we're intending on participating in a "Black Dog" (Depression Awareness) ride. But it depends on whether the weather holds off, we're having a Thunder and Lightening storm tonight and hoping it will have blown itself out by morning.

Keef.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
The Fiamm Freeway Blaster Low Tone is a big improvement over the stock meep meep here comes a moped thing if you're looking for an easy project.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Air in the tires, new gas, finally quit being so lazy and dropped the exhaust down to match the ST rear peg hangers and rode the crunched RS around a bit for the first time in months.
The Tiger is so much better for wind protection but it sure doesn't have the motor the Sprints have!

relo1.jpg
relo2.jpg

·
3,003 Posts
Center stand on an RS, nice.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Now that you mention it, I recall buying a center stand for at least one of them.
Maybe the Yellow Banana and the one HAP has.
I'm looking forward to the weather warming up some so I can ride this a bit more. I like the Tiger but really enjoy riding these little speeding bullet bikes.
The rear hugger adds 10 RWHP, by the way.

Learned something new:
If you add a photo do NOT go back and hit Full Image as it'll double it up.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I'm doing work at home for the time being and ran out of cases so rode the crunched RS into our beautiful state capitol to get another pile of work.
On the Tiger I just let the cars blast on by me, on the RS I'm blasting past them. Out of the way, buddy, I'm coming through!

6261 - 6280 of 6306 Posts